Struggling Writers discussion

Discussions > Relationship of writing with surrounding and Color temperature

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Reeb (new)

Reeb Aly (reebaly) | 12 comments Although a writer can write while walking on the road or may be even driving a car but I am amazed by this observation, how different situations and different type of light sources make my writings alive/depressing/poetic/motivational and so on..

Study lamp provide me strange poetic phrases

Driving/ Riding provides me another part of imagining incomplete sub-conscious thoughts, often about dreams and dejavus

Watching sunsets and sunrises hand me some motivational and energetic stuff

Is anyone interested in sharing these relationships with the world of imagination and writing? OR may be the more effective ways of using these situations to write?

message 2: by Sybil (last edited Feb 09, 2014 06:30AM) (new)

Sybil Powell (sybilpowell) | 84 comments No light gives me uninterupted thought, low light helps my imagination, bright light and I'm ready to write. Now where did I put my glasses?

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Areeb wrote: "Although a writer can write while walking on the road or may be even driving a car but I am amazed by this observation, how different situations and different type of light sources make my writings..."

Forgive me for saying, but no one should ever consider driving whilst writing or vice versa....I'm sure the policeman who pulls you over will not be amused.

message 4: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Jones (authra) | 1074 comments If I am in a really super bright room I can't write as well I think the artificial light hurts my muse. I get so me of my best ideas at night when I am trying to sleep( I sleep in a pitch dark room). I write best during the afternoon with music.

message 5: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 601 comments I work on stories with free-idling mind space while driving, feeding the infant, sleeping, doing laundry, or more simply stated whenever I'm not actually writing a story down.

That distant look of mine isn't usually boredom, it's me visualizing a story.

message 6: by Reeb (new)

Reeb Aly (reebaly) | 12 comments Sarah wrote: "Areeb wrote: "Although a writer can write while walking on the road or may be even driving a car but I am amazed by this observation, how different situations and different type of light sources ma..."

I meant to say, while driving or travelling I usually stop somewhere and start writing notes then I continue with the driving etc..

message 7: by Reeb (new)

Reeb Aly (reebaly) | 12 comments Trisha wrote: "If I am in a really super bright room I can't write as well I think the artificial light hurts my muse. I get so me of my best ideas at night when I am trying to sleep( I sleep in a pitch dark room..."

Exactly, artificial light (artificial surrounding) disturbs the imaginative process.

Music is another good source to enhance what you're writing and adding multiple dimensions in it..

Many thanks

message 8: by Reeb (new)

Reeb Aly (reebaly) | 12 comments R.F.G. wrote: "I work on stories with free-idling mind space while driving, feeding the infant, sleeping, doing laundry, or more simply stated whenever I'm not actually writing a story down.

That distant look of..."

Yes, i do the very same but sometimes while doing these activities I get flashes of multiple ideas and within a second I see them disappeared. I never found a way to grab them..

message 9: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 601 comments Areeb wrote: "R.F.G. wrote: "I work on stories with free-idling mind space while driving, feeding the infant, sleeping, doing laundry, or more simply stated whenever I'm not actually writing a story down.

That ..."

My problem is that most of them won't disappear. My editor wants me to finish a story I started in 1996 and put on hold, and I can still recall the nuances that had me put it on hold -- the charact4ers haven't told me how it ends yet and I can't see it yet.

message 10: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Sarah wrote: "Areeb wrote: "Although a writer can write while walking on the road or may be even driving a car but I am amazed by this observation, how different situations and different type of light sources ma..."

I could somewhat understand dictating to a recording device, as that would be like talking on the phone. However, I still don't think it is a good idea to do anything with your phone while driving (where I am texting is illegal but if you are 18+ you can talk on the phone).

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Areeb wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Areeb wrote: "Although a writer can write while walking on the road or may be even driving a car but I am amazed by this observation, how different situations and different type of li..."

Thank goodnes for that, Areeb, you had me worried for a moment. The idiots that drive whilst playing with their smartphones cause enough accidents without the likes of us adding to it!

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Irene wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Areeb wrote: "Although a writer can write while walking on the road or may be even driving a car but I am amazed by this observation, how different situations and different type of li..."

Here the use of your mobile whilst driving is illegal and gets you a hefty fine and 3 points on your driving license. Does it stop people doing it, do bears s**t in the woods? Nope, I have had a couple of close calls with people rounding the bend in the middle of the road phone in hand. I even saw one woman talking on her phone whilst putting petrol in her car - are you real? Can you not read? If the police come now they will lock you up and charge you with reckless endangerment of lives, and I seriously hope they throw away your phone, along with the keys to your cell! Says I, in French, the stupid woman looked at me as if I was deranged. I was standing in front of the notice with a larger than life mobile phone with a big cross through it telling people of the danger!

I could understand using the recording facility whilst you drive, we all manage to talk to people whilst driving...and talking to a machine would be like talking to yourself. So, people would think you're nuts or talking to the dog, if of course you have a dog!

message 13: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Sarah wrote: "Irene wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Areeb wrote: "Although a writer can write while walking on the road or may be even driving a car but I am amazed by this observation, how different situations and differ..."

Interesting, even hands free versions? Here, as long as you are just talking, you can use it if you are 18+, but according to my cousin (who is a police officer) if you are in an accident and they can prove that you were on your phone you can get your license revoked.

Yeah, it is something (on your more complex phones) that you can command completely by voice.

message 14: by Reeb (new)

Reeb Aly (reebaly) | 12 comments R.F.G. wrote: "Areeb wrote: "R.F.G. wrote: "I work on stories with free-idling mind space while driving, feeding the infant, sleeping, doing laundry, or more simply stated whenever I'm not actually writing a stor..."

From 1996 to 2014 and still the process is going on? Just wow! Yes it happen, characters stop you at times. You absorb things, new observations, more twist and turns then suddenly you find out the appropriate situation in a spark, with exactly same emotions & you continue with it again.. Making them alive again..

message 15: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 601 comments Not so amazing actually, I remember details that made lasting impressions starting at roughly age six months.

Thankfully I don't have total recall.

message 16: by Sarah (last edited Feb 11, 2014 03:21AM) (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Irene wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Irene wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Areeb wrote: "Although a writer can write while walking on the road or may be even driving a car but I am amazed by this observation, how different situati..."

No, hands free is okay...as far as I am aware it's still not illegal to talk to yourself in France. LOL. If that ever happens I'll be in serious trouble, I'm the only person that gives reasonable answers, in the language I want!

And my new phone can be voice commanded... and maybe blonde little me will stumble on the how to acheive this one day!

message 17: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Sarah wrote: "Irene wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Irene wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Areeb wrote: "Although a writer can write while walking on the road or may be even driving a car but I am amazed by this observation, how dif..."

Haha, yes, I believe quite a few of us will be in trouble.

Nice!