My Sibling The Mythical Being! discussion

What to read after MSTV

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments In this discussion we can recommend books and book series that we think people who have liked the My Sister the Vampire (or My Brother the Werewolf) series will like.

Please try not to give away major spoilers here. Thanks and have fun!

message 2: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments The Animals of Farthing Wood by Colin Dann

This book is a bit (ok, really) different to MSTV and MBTW but I really enjoyed it. It's called The Animals of Farthing Wood and it's about a group of animals who have to leave their home (Farthing Wood) because the humans are cutting it down to make a housing estate. They try and make the journey to a nature reserve and meet all kind of adventures along the way.

It is a really feel-good book (to me anyway); there are some sad parts but most of it is amazingly amazing! The characters are amazing, the plot is amazing. IT'S AMAZING OK!!! plus it is from the animals point of view!

It was published in 1980 and is the first in the series (although I only found that out recently and have only read this one; the second is on my to-read list).

message 3: by Emy (last edited Feb 09, 2014 04:00PM) (new)

Emy I read a lot of books that I really like.
Hmm...so much to choose from!

Well, most of the books I really really like are by Rick Riordan or Alyson Noel.

message 4: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Athena the Brain

I would recommend the Goddess Girls series. It's about the Greek gods and goddesses (at 12/13yrs old) going to Mount Olympus Academy where they have classes such as Hero-ology, Revenge-ology and Beauty-ology. You read about the ins and outs of social life at the academy and the endless quest the gods and goddesses have to help the mortals down on Earth.

I love this series probably just as much as MSTV because it is funny, friendly, girl-y (but good for boys too) and heart-warming with the added magic of Greek mythology and the cool talents of the gods. :)

message 5: by Daisy, The Brains (last edited Feb 10, 2014 04:19AM) (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments BTW in my comment above, the link is to the first in the Goddess Girls series: Athena the Brain.

message 6: by Emy (new)

Emy Oh! I read these series too!
I'm going to read Cassandra the Lucky soon.

message 7: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Awesome! I've read Cassandra the Lucky, and all the ones before it, except The Girl Games. I don't know when the next one is out (Athena the Wise) but I can't wait! Or maybe it's out already?

message 8: by Emy (new)

Emy It should be out.
I don't know.

message 9: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments I have started reading Goddess Girls - it is awesome!

message 10: by Emy (new)

Emy yup :)

message 11: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Well about time Sophie! (I've been nagging her to read it for ages!) And yes, it is awesome! :)

message 12: by Emy (new)

Emy :)

message 13: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Hey guys. When you click on the first MSTV (Switched) I noticed the first three recommended books are all in this Poison Apple series. Here's the link to the first one: The Dead End.
I've never read this series but I was just wondering if anyone else in this group has, and if you have, is it worth the read? Is it like MSTV or MBTW in any way? Do you think MSTV fans would enjoy it?

message 14: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments Never read it. Looks kind of similar? But not as charming, it looks a little bit darker to me.

message 15: by Emy (new)

Emy I read those book!
They're good and I like them

There's also The Poison Apple Series and the Candy Apple Series.

Each of the books are about different people. It's a different story by a different author.
So I don't know if you'll like it or not.
I do though

message 16: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments Ah, different author for each book! That's interesting. So each book is about different people, do they ever meet or are they completely different stories?

message 17: by Emy (new)

Emy Completely different stories

message 18: by Emy (new)

Emy But sometimes, the author writes another book continuing the story, sometimes

message 19: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments What, each book is completely different? Makes you wonder why they're even in the same series at all. Or are they all set in the same place or something like that? That would make sense.

message 20: by Daisy, The Brains (last edited Feb 16, 2015 03:00AM) (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Okay, so recently I've come across quite a few discussions on Goodreads similar to this one, with people asking what they should read next, because they really enjoyed My Sister the Vamp. When I comment on these, I usually recommend a couple of series that I've really liked that are sort of similar to MSTV. Only now do I realise that some of those I haven't actually posted here, so here goes:

Obviously first there's My Brother the Werewolf, but that's kind of a given.

Next there's Savvy by Ingrid Law, which is about a girl who is in a family who, when they each turn 13, get their own special power or 'savvy', as they call it. The book is all about the main character Mibs getting her savvy, the journey she goes through to control it, and the friendships she makes along the way. Anyway, I absolutely love this book - it's so cute and entertaining, and the second one, Scumble, is equally as good.

Then there's the Bindi Babes series by Narinder Dhami, which I read ages ago so don't really remember, but I do know I loved this one too. It's about three sisters (they're about 15 I think) and basically just their lives. In the first one their aunt comes to live/stay with them and she's really controlling so they take it on as their job to take her down a peg! Again, really funny and heart-warming, another one I recommend.

And lastly there's the Goddess Girls series, but I already talked about that above so I'm not going to go into detail about it. But, yeah, I would say if you like MSTV, you can't really go wrong with any of these books. :)

message 21: by Sage (new)

Sage (sage-m-goodreads) I've been on the fence about Savvy, but if you're recommending it, then I'll just have to give in and rent it from the library already.

Is The Goddess Girls series anything like Percy Jackson and the Olympians?

message 22: by Emy (new)

Emy The Goddess Girls series is kinda like Percy Jackson except it's from the point of view of goddesses. And I don't think there's any demigods. Also, it's about what happens in Olympus

message 23: by Daisy, The Brains (last edited Feb 17, 2015 04:53AM) (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Cool, Kayla! Let me know what you think of it. :)

Hmm, I guess Goddess Girls is kind of similar because they're both about Greek mythology but it's very different in the way it interprets the myths. Whereas Percy Jackson is retelling them in the modern world, Goddess Girls takes place in the original stories and puts different spins on them. That's one the of the reasons I like it so much - the way they make the myths child-friendly is really clever since in the original tales there's a lot of mature themes and the gods don't seem like the most pleasant of people... let's put it that way.

So, in my opinion, Goddess Girls is better than Percy Jackson in that sense, but just generally as book series they're very different, and I enjoyed both of them. Hope this helps!

message 24: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments I definitely wouldn't say Percy Jackson and Goddess Girls were similar (except for the fact they're both based on greek myths). I didn't really enjoy Percy Jackson but I love Goddess Girls.

message 25: by Emy (new)

Emy Sophie wrote: "I definitely wouldn't say Percy Jackson and Goddess Girls were similar (except for the fact they're both based on greek myths). I didn't really enjoy Percy Jackson but I love Goddess Girls."

What's wrong with the Percy Jackson series?

message 26: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments I couldn't get along with the writing (at times it was amusing but during the action scenes it failed badly in my opinion), I didn't like a lot of the plots, the idea of the gods in the modern world was badly executed and forced and I didn't like any of the characters.

I can see how people could love it but I just didn't. Sorry!

message 27: by Emy (new)

Emy It's ok.

Sometimes, when I read popular books, I look at the books in two ways: why people hate it and why people love it.
I can see why people hate and love the books like in Twilight series or Divergent series for example

message 28: by Sophie, The Joker (last edited Feb 17, 2015 01:49PM) (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments Agreed. Everyone will have a different opinion when they read a book. Not everyone is going to love every book.

message 29: by Emy (new)

Emy Yea

message 30: by Sage (new)

Sage (sage-m-goodreads) I understand and respect your opinion, Sophia. Personally, I found them engaging in their humor and how they tried to adapt Greek myths to modern day scenarios. The world charmed me. I was wondering if Goddess Girls took a similar approach.

message 31: by Sage (new)

Sage (sage-m-goodreads) As for the topic, now that I've given some thought, I guess I'd recommend the "Vampire Kisses" series. I only read the first one, and though it doesn't have the same wealth of characters and can be cheesy, I thought it was an amusing read.

message 32: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments Yep. I think Goddess Girls is charming but in a different way to Percy Jackson. PJ is set in the modern world, GG is not. The plots in GG are probably more simplistic than PJ in a cute (almost MSTV) way.

As for Vampire Kisses, I've never heard of that but I will check it out. Is it a YA or middle-grade book?

message 33: by Emy (new)

Emy It's YA

message 34: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments Ok thanks Emily!

message 35: by Emy (new)

Emy Np :)

message 36: by Sage (new)

Sage (sage-m-goodreads) I guess it is kind of on the fence of YA and a more preteen audience. While it does have some mature themes, it can also come off as aimed at a younger audience.

message 37: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments Oh ok! Thanks

message 38: by Daisy, The Brains (last edited Oct 20, 2016 09:00AM) (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments So on the Amazon synopsis for Fangs for the Memories (MSTV #18) it says at the end:

A vampire book for girls who want to read about young love and innocent paranormal romance. Ideal for fans of Jacqueline Wilson, Meg Cabot, and Zoe (Zoella) Sugg.

I'm interested to see if any of you guys have read any of these authors' books - and would you agree My Sister the Vamp is similar to them? I've never read Zoella's books but I read one of Jacqueline Wilson's books yeeeears ago (I think it was Bad Girls) and I didn't really enjoy it. I remember it having some.. how do I put this... darker themes? Like bullying and I think there was something about the protagonist not liking/being ashamed of her parents. To be honest though I was really impressionable and read only light, happy books back then so it was probably a lot less depressing than I thought it was. Still, I think MSTV probably doesn't cover as deep stuff as Jacqueline Wilson's books, so if you like MSTV for the fluffiness (or Wilson's books for the grittiness) you might not enjoy both.

As for Meg Cabot, I've recently been reading through her Princess Diaries series and I'd say it's a pretty good recommendation for people who like MSTV. They don't have that much in common, but they're both contemporaries with a twist (vampires and princesses... pretty much the same thing right?) and they're about the same age range. I loved the first three books but I hated the fourth and the rest from there have been pretty 'meh' so it's not perfect, but I'd say at least the start of the series is worth the read.

message 39: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments I read quite a few Jacqueline Wilson books and I didn't really love any of them. You're right that they cover deeper/darker themes than MSTV. It's really good to have books that talk about these things that lots of people experience, especially books aimed at children. But I was easily freaked out when I was younger so I wanted funny, happy, escapism stories. It depends on the person I guess.

I've never read Zoella or Meg Cabot's books.

message 40: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments I agree - MSTV is great for escapism and if you just want something to cheer you up, which Jacqueline Wilson's books don't seem to be as much.

Since the rest of this thread is pretty out of date do we have any new recommendations? I still think Goddess Girls is a good series for people looking for something similar to MSTV, but I will say I've kind of gone off it since we last talked about it. I still like it for the friendship and the adaptations of Greek myths and stuff but I've realised it is quite childish. I don't know if I'll ever grow out of MSTV but I'm definitely growing out of Goddess Girls. My other two recs though I still stick by.

As for new stuff, I've been purging my Middle Grade shelf on Goodreads and the Kat, Incorrigible trilogy by Stephenie Burgis is a series I know both us mods really love. We've talked about it before in the Exciting News! thread, but I thought it was worth the mention here too. It's basically about a 12-year-old girl named Kat growing up in Regency England, who discovers magic and endevours to save her family from social disgrace using it. There's awesome family elements, a supernatural twist and a little romance. Kat's a really stubborn, fiesty and (to me) lovable character, so it's definitely really good if you like MSTV, or even if you don't! My description doesn't really do it justice, but really these books are seriously great.

I'd also recommend The Revenge of the Shadow King by Derek Benz and J.S. Lewis. It's the first in a trilogy but I've only managed to get my hands on this first one, and really enjoyed it. It's about a group of friends who play a card game together, and then the mythical creatures from their card game start appearing in their town, and they have to work out what's going on. The friendship's quite humorous and the adventure's (while maybe not all that original) entertaining. I'd say it's for a slightly younger audience than MSTV (the protagonists are 11 or 12 I think?) but a quality Middle Grade book on the whole.

Then there's Popular: Vintage Wisdom for a Modern Geek by Maya van Wagenen. This is actually non-fiction, written by a 14-year-old girl who did an experiment to see if a 1950s (?) popularity guide could get her popular in her modern day school. It's a really entertaining and heart-warming story I'm sure lots of MSTV fans would love.

That's all I can find right now. Does anyone else have any?

message 41: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments I have also gone off Goddess Girls, not really sure what it is about it but they don't appeal to me anymore.

Kat is life! Stephanie Burgis is now one of my favourite authors and I've gone on to read her adult books and short stories and basically search out everything she's written. Kat, Incorrigible is definitely a good recommendation for MSTV/MBTW fans. It's interesting and fun and there's great friendships and dastardly plots.

Another series I really like that might appeal is the Malory Towers series by Enid Blyton. These books are set in a girls boarding school and they make me feel good just like MSTV & MBTW. The characters are interesting and unique in their own ways and throughout the series they get up to various pranks and midnight feasts, there's mysteries and disasters. There are some special frendships and nice messages about recognising your own flaws, discovering who you are and growing up etc.