The Picture of Dorian Gray The Picture of Dorian Gray question

Was the book mentioned at the end of this chapter 'Against Nature'?
Ola Allam Ola (last edited Feb 09, 2014 07:10AM ) Feb 09, 2014 02:23AM
At the end of chapter 10 and the beginning of chapter 11, Wilde talks about a book that Lord Henry gave to Dorian. Was this book 'Against Nature' or 'À rebours' by Joris-Karl Huysmans? I haven't read that book, but I heard about it and it's definitely on my to-read list.

Most likely (though I've seen a lot of discussion about this).

Against Nature (A Rebours) by Joris-Karl Huysmans

I think I have read that too (though I have never read "Against Nature"). It might be worth a read. The fact that Wilde did not not name the book seemed strange to me when I read it. He certainly didn't shy away from cultural references (Shakespeare plays, Wagner operas, even specific singers of the time) but seemed to rather coyly avoid saying the name of the novel that made such an impression on his protagonist. Would love to hear a reason if anyone knows it!

Ola Allam I've been wondering the same thing ...more
Mar 08, 2014 09:39AM

According to my research when Oscar Wilde was on trial for TPODG, he said the book Dorian reads is A Rebours by Joris-Karl Huysmans 1884.

B Dec 14, 2014 07:36PM   0 votes
Ola wrote: "At the end of chapter 10 and the beginning of chapter 11, Wilde talks about a book that Lord Henry gave to Dorian. Was this book 'Against Nature' or 'À rebours' by Joris-Karl Huysmans? I haven't r..."

Yeah it was Against Nature. A Rebours is just the French

Here's a sample of writing from Wilde's greatest enemy and detractor, the likely individual who caused him thrown in gaol

How Love Came to Professor Guildea