Thirteen Reasons Why Thirteen Reasons Why discussion

Did anyone else find it really disturbing that she sent all those people those tapes.

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anna I mean she took 13 random people who didn't know her all that well and sent them tapes telling them that their behavior is what caused her to kill herself. And Clay, that poor kid. It wasn't bad enough that the girl he liked killed herself, but then she sends him these tapes saying that he probably could have saved her life. What?

Ryssa I totally agree with you, I honestly disliked this whole book because of her. I find Hannah a selfish Bit** who force this people to feel unnecessary guilt because she didnt want to be responsible for her actions. I read this book last year and I still cant over the fact she was a sick Bit**. Just hearing the title makes me make a snot face and say "Why?" Hannah just makes me so frustrated.

Scott No, I thought it was brilliant.

Cheryl Harflett Scott wrote: "No, I thought it was brilliant."

I agree. I think it was an incredible way to show the internal processes and struggles people go through when struggling with depression and suicidal thoughts.

message 5: by Mariana (last edited Feb 09, 2014 06:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mariana No, they needed to hear what she wanted to say. Every one of them deserved to hear the tapes except for Clay. Yes, most of them didn't know her all that well; so why were they spreading rumors about her?? Why were they telling everyone all these lies?? So yeah, she wanted all her bullies and backstabbers to know how pathetic they were. If you're going to treat someone like that to the point where they commit suicide, you should be able to hear them tell you that it's your fault.

AgCl it wasn't that random, but yeah i think she overdid it. There were some people who didn't deserve to get the tape at all.

Caitie Roee Even though I didn't like the book I thought the tapes were a great idea! Let the people know what they did to you and I think hearing them actually say it will make them realize what they did was wrong, its different from just reading a suicide note. Hearing them say it is a more powerful

Siobhan Yes, it was sick. That was the point. She was petty and pathetic and not the girl that any of them knew. Even Clay. As much as it was Hannah's story about her suicide, it was also Clay's story, where he learned to take her off her pedestal and move on from her. She didn't have the answers he had hoped for. That's why the book's so good, because you can see Clay wising up to how horrible the people in his life can truly be.

Leigh I thought it was pathetic of her to send those tapes. I've heard it said suicide is an act of rage, and in this case, clearly it was.

Kelseyc I understand where she was coming from. She was depressed and wanted the people who caused her sadness and humiliation to know what they did and to know that they were a reason why.

However, I thought it was selfish to do so. These kids are going to have to live with this knowledge for the rest of their life. To make it worse they aren't only stuck with their part in her suicide but everyone else's part as well.

I want to say that she did it so that these people can learn from their mistakes so they can make themselves better but knowing Hannah, that wasn't the case. She was mad and wanted them to know their part in it.

Atheris I think the sending of the tapes was a little bit unfair, but I chose not to think of it too literally and think of it as a method of getting the message across (which it did very well) that you never know how your actions can affect people and what seems like a meaningless joke to you can be the last drop before the damn breaks. The tapes were like a different way of getting into Hannah's head while also seeing how others react when faced with the harsh truth. It's easy to say "She had no business sending those tapes, she's so selfish and immature!" but the truth is that you never really know what thoughts can travel through a suicidal teens head, how a low self-esteem and depression can warp and worsen even the smallest things. It's hard to grasp what it's like if you've never struggled with depression and/or very serious suicidal thoughts, so listening to the tapes was like getting a glimpse of Hannah's state of mind and how she was unaware of the help she could've gotten. When you feel like everything and everyone is a against you and your life is spinning out of control and you're mind is clouded with grief and pain you're not likely to think rationally.

message 12: by matt (new) - rated it 3 stars

matt h Suicide itself is a pretty selfish act, how can you be surprised that the suicidal person was sick and selfish in other ways?

My big problem with this book has more to do with Clay. I think the author really missed an opportunity by making him the "good guy." It wouldn't have been too hard to make him part of the problem. I think it would've made him and his reactions more interesting, and it wouldn't have made his inclusion in the tape circle so awkward.

message 13: by matt (new) - rated it 3 stars

matt h It is the ultimate selfish act. The perpetrator is 100% concerned only about themselves with no regard for the people in their lives who are affected by what they're doing.

Jackie That's the point. She was TRYING to be creepy. Plus, she DID know the kids. Maybe not as well as you'd like the think, but the point was that they were all interconnected somehow. I loved the book, very powerful, very nice writing style.

Stephanie Nicole i feel like it was not necessary to write to all those people when only a couple had like really big impacts. like
' well she stopped hanging with me so shes part of my suicide.' or 'he said i had a big ass and put me on the hot list'(like he was gonna know the repercussions of putting u on the hot list)

Jesse Beaulieu I dont think it was selfish of her, she took her life because she was depressed and what was causing that depression was those people who were on the tapes, i dont think she is selfish at all.. she was hurting and wanted to end the pain and not just end the pain she also wanted the people who put her through all that pain to know that they are each a reason, so maybe next time they will put a little more thought into how easily things can build up in somones head.. its the Snowball effect just like she said in the book and i think that it was good.. if those kids hurt and humilated her in their own ways then i think that it was okay for her to want to send them tapes to show them how much there actions effected her.

My Favorite Book by the way : D

message 17: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Boettcher I thought that sending the tapes out was disturbing, only because she obviously pre planned it. Some people posting were saying that the book's writing made you sympathize with the girl more. I don't completely agree with that. I mean, yes, we do see how sad and hurt she is throughout the book, but she does go to some pretty extreme lengths to catch people at doing things and puts herself in some bad situations. That's not an excuse, that's just how it was written.

And I think that was the point of the book, to be a bit disturbing so that we would talk about it like we are doing now, about the merits or dis-merits about sending the tapes, suicide, how we treat people on a daily basis, etc.

Two wrongs don't make a right and sending the tapes after her death wouldn't be considered ethically right, even if the people who hurt her or drove her to commit suicide did 'deserve it'. The problem with her going about it the way she did is that the pain didn't stop with her when she died. There were 14 people involved and a whole bunch more secondary characters as well who, in that fictional reality, would be affected by her actions as well. It was a revenge thing more than a cry for help. If it was a cry for help, she would have went about it differently. She can't blame someone for her own actions, no matter how bad they made her feel.

Would I have done the same thing had I been her? Probably. I'm not saying I wouldn't. All I am saying is that the book was written, the overall story, to show readers what depression and suicide and bullying really look like. And show it in a very unique, very intimate way.

Anyways, those are my thoughts.

Rebecca Smith Was I the only one who keep holding out hope that he would find her alive even after listening to the tape? I just kept expecting a major plot twist in this book just so it could have a happy ending.

Angela It is creepy. But for me, it made sense for her character to do that. She was angry, depressed and suicidal.

I kind of approve (I admit I am a vengeful person) that the character told off those people, they needed to know--scratch that, I needed them to know. I mean I wish she didn’t kill herself first and I wouldn't have sent tapes, but it was certainly effective. I don't think that those people would have actually realized how badly they affected her life if she hadn’t sent the tapes or if she just left a letter. I just kind of get where she's coming from...

I agree that she shouldn’t blame others for taking her own life because there are other ways to react to negativity. But I don't think it's right for everyone just brush off the blame (however little it may be) by saying she was selfish or angry or crazy. I think that's over simplifying it. And I think that was what the book was trying to point out, to make people realize that their actions affect others in the hopes we would try to be nicer to each other.

Siobhan Stephanie wrote: "i feel like it was not necessary to write to all those people when only a couple had like really big impacts. like
' well she stopped hanging with me so shes part of my suicide.' or 'he said i had ..."

She does mention at one point, that she went beyond feeling low to looking for reasons to commit suicide. So they were necessary to show how she was taking anything, anything she could, to excuse her suicide. Which makes Clay's story sadder, because it's like 'You were nice to me, and I wanted to kill myself because you were the only one. If you weren't nice to me, you'd still be on my list, but you'd be on it for a different reason.' All those petty excuses were used to support the real issues. And it's really clear that it's how she's feeling when she speaks to her teacher, because she doesn't give him a chance, and then when he stays in his office (trying to work out what Hannah's been saying?) she uses that as her ultimate tipping point.

She doesn't care about her impact, not really, not past the point of creating an impact. The tapes aren't about the people on them, but about her. So a comment on her ass, that's about her, and someone disrespecting her on a day she felt low. And she may not have told anyone how she felt before that moment, but that's their fault for not asking if she's suicidal, not her fault for staying withdrawn.

I'm not saying for a second all suicidal people are like this, by the way, but I am saying that this is the case for Hannah. She didn't want to be helped, she didn't want to be saved. If she did, she would have spent more time with Clay. She would not have gone to that final party, and let herself get screwed. She was on self-destruct mode, without any care for the fall-out.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Scott wrote: "No, I thought it was brilliant."

I agree. I think it was an incredible way to show the internal processes and struggles people go through when struggling with depression and suicidal..."

I agree completely. Outstanding book that gives an insight into the struggles of others. Also a stark message to those who bully others in so many different and sometimes subtle ways.

This book is meant to touch, challenge and disturb. If you found the book disturbing Anna, then I think the author achieved his objectives.

I often recommend this book to young people.

Rebecca Smith John wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "Scott wrote: "No, I thought it was brilliant."

I agree. I think it was an incredible way to show the internal processes and struggles people go through when struggling with depressi..."

I recommend this book to teachers. With events that have been happening the past few years concerning suicide and the bully awareness that teachers have to take now days, they should also read this book to be able to look at for the other signs.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Another to recommend:

The Anatomy of Wings by Karen Foxlee

message 24: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna John wrote: "Another to recommend:

The Anatomy of Wings by Karen Foxlee"

Now that was a fantastic book.

message 25: by Hayley (last edited Mar 02, 2014 08:54AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Hayley i stopped reading it does it get better? i read like 5 chapters

Colette Crowder I think it makes sense for various reasons I'm too lazy to list because everyone else already did, but I think I should point out we wouldn't have the same book without the tapes... so, yeah. GO HANNAH!

Hayley Colette wrote: "I think it makes sense for various reasons I'm too lazy to list because everyone else already did, but I think I should point out we wouldn't have the same book without the tapes... so, yeah. GO HA..."

is the book good?

Miriam Yes i mean some people had little to do with her killing herself and she sent them those tapes to make them feel guilty

Marcy Siobhan wrote: "Yes, it was sick. That was the point. She was petty and pathetic and not the girl that any of them knew. Even Clay. As much as it was Hannah's story about her suicide, it was also Clay's story, whe..."

I read this a while ago and so don't remember everything exactly, but what did stick with me was that I didn't like it too much because I felt like the tapes thing was a bit of a stretch. BUT, Siobhan, your comment about how this is about Clay's story as well and his view of Hannah is good and makes me want to re-read it with that specifically in mind -- I don't think I had heavily considered that perspective before.

message 30: by Susan (new)

Susan Green I just finished watching the series on Netflix and I am left sad and disgusted. Yes, the bullying was awful, but what about all the lying, under aged drinking, drugs, parties and SEX! This story left me feeling these things were all acceptable and that there are a lot of absentee parents out there. Break down of the family....so sad. Where are our values today. I believe this kind of behavior leads to tragic consequences (as it did) and should be addressed. I liked the message about the broken stop sign and the traffic accident. Accepting responsibility for our mistakes. I was very afraid the rapist would get away with it and be free to continue to rape other ladies as he did with Hannah. How many more would there be?

message 31: by Chai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chai I read this book soooo long ago and I haven't seen the show yet so if anyone disagrees with what I have to say, sorry :(

But as much as I loved the book the tapes sort of tick me off. The message is powerful and makes people think and realize what acts can cause, small or big.. even if its from years ago. But realistically, yes people do blame others when depressed or suicidal and can leave notes but it felt so desperate. The fact that she went out of her way to call out all 13 people and tell them their faults and make sure they know, like she wanted them to be burdened with the fact that they were the reason why she killed herself.

Sarah Roberts I hated this book the series everything Hannah was so selfish bc when she sent off those tapes she ruined the lives of all those people ....

message 33: by kels (new) - added it

kels Cheryl wrote: "Scott wrote: "No, I thought it was brilliant."

I agree. I think it was an incredible way to show the internal processes and struggles people go through when struggling with depression and suicidal..."

I agree with the both of you, The way the author used the idea of cassette tapes and how through each chapter was a new thing that happened to Hannah. It was the whole point of the novel "13 Reasons Why" she committed suicide and how the effects of what the people did had on her.

Allison Miller It's been a few years since I have read this book and now all the sudden it's coming back into the public because of the Netflix series.I believe it was a little uncalled for of her to give strangers these tapes and telling them essentially, "you did this to me!"
I do think that Hannah was one of the worst characters in a book that I have ever read.
I don't entirely remember Clay that much, however, I do remember feeling bad for him because of what Hannah dumped on him when he just wanted to love her. She was incredibly selfish in my opinion.

Amanda They definitely weren't random people, they were all people who had significantly impacted her life in a negative way (positive in Clay's instance). I dont think she was really blaming them either, rather pointing out how their behaviour had affected her and how it had a domino effect. Clearly when someone kills themselves it isn't the blame of other people, the individual obviously has to be in a bad state mentally, it's just that people behaving in a certain way can trigger those feelings.