The Next Best Book Club discussion

Book Related Banter > Is It Possible to Read Too Much?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Xian Xian (new)

Xian Xian (xianxian) Is it possible to read too much? Sometimes I feel like my reading habits are a little obsessive and I read more than one book at the same time. I get super excited about libraries and book stores. Yeah, I love books, but is it possible that it can be obsessive? Like I've been busy with homework and video games so it's not that bad now.

message 2: by Marybeth (new)

Marybeth (narutofan14) Probably but for us big readers we don't know from too much. I guess it depends on the definition of too much and who you are and how busy you are

message 3: by Danita (new)

Danita Brown | 57 comments I don't think so, I've been a strong reader since I was 12 yrs. I can read at least 3to4 books in a week if not more depending on the size and how good it is. Don't stop, u do u, if it makes u happy.

message 4: by KB (last edited Feb 08, 2014 04:06PM) (new)

KB (dreamingbear) Too much? As long as it's not interfering with what you need to get done or interfering with getting enough sleep, I really don't think there's such a thing as reading too much ... of course, this coming from the person who doesn't go grocery shopping or gets laundry done without an audiobook playing ;-)

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 17 comments I can just about get my head round the concept of a person reading too much... I don't think it'll happen in my lifetime though.

message 6: by N (new)

N | 104 comments I am a proud Bibliophile "Carpe Librum" is my motto. The more you read the more you'll know, the more you know the more places you'll go ~ Dr Seuss.

message 7: by N (new)

N | 104 comments I am a proud Bibliophile "Carpe Librum" is my motto. The more you read the more you'll know, the more you know the more places you'll go ~ Dr Seuss.

message 8: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Lillie (kiwibookworm) | 33 comments Karen wrote: "Too much? As long as it's not interfering with what you need to get done or interfering with getting enough sleep, I really don't think there's such a thing as reading too much ... of course, this ..."

I used to think so... not now! As long as you have time to do other stuff that you love or that you have to do it's not that bad.
Karen, at least you do the groceries and the laundry - I just sit on my bed reading instead!

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura I don't think so but I do think it is possible to WANT to read too much! I get myself into a terrible anxiety loop about reading, where I want to read some much so quickly than it puts me off completely! I don't know if anyone else gets this, but at the moment I have 7 books on the go. I find it hard to devote myself to just one (unless it's sensational in which case all other books can stay away), but most of the time I'm flitting around trying to decide what book I'm going to read next, whilst worrying about all the other ones I want to read. Ridiculous!

message 10: by Jina (new)

Jina Howell-Forbes I ALWAYS read more than one book at the same time. Seven books MIGHT be more than usual for me, but five is typical. I listen to one in my bedroom, when doing make-up, laundry folding, etc. I listen to another when in the car. I have one on the kindle that I carry in my purse to read while waiting in lines. I read one on my PC, and my husband and I read one aloud to each other for an hour each night. My daughter can't understand how I keep them all straight, but that makes it fun. It surprises me that I often finish several books at the same time, even though they aren't the same length. The only disadvantage is that sometimes it is difficult to remember which book a favorite scene occurred in.

message 11: by Niki (new)

Niki My only definition of reading "too much" is when you get eye strain. When it becomes painful to focus on anything because you've been focusing on words for a week straight, that's when you've read "too much". When you have to lie down with your eyes closed and listen to the radio or TV because your eyeballs hurt, that's when you've read "too much". It happened to me once. I couldn't finish the 4th book of the series I was in because it was painful. Worst experience of my life. That's when I learned how to pare it down and moderate it, to take frequent breaks from printed words and do something else for a little while.

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris Douthit | 1 comments Sometimes my eyes start to water if I read too much. I think you can have too much of just about anything.

message 13: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Mclaren | 293 comments Laura wrote: "I don't think so but I do think it is possible to WANT to read too much! I get myself into a terrible anxiety loop about reading, where I want to read some much so quickly than it puts me off compl..."

I agree. I always have a heard time figuring out what to read next and usually walk around with two in my hands, trying to decide. I've also read more than one book, but it usually is a mystery and a history or biography, so they are very different and easier to keep track of it.

message 14: by Robert (new)

Robert Raker (robert_raker) | 60 comments I have been power reading since the 2nd grade. Reading always allowed me an escape when I was younger and still provides me with one when I need it.

message 15: by Nihar (new)

Nihar Suthar (niharsuthar) | 27 comments I guess you might just get exhausted or something, but I don't think too much reading has any other negative effects. If anything, it makes you sharper, improves your vocabulary, and just smarter overall.

Just my opinion though!

-Nihar
www.niharsuthar.com

message 16: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 573 comments I'm not sure but I'm willing to try :0)

message 17: by Robert (new)

Robert I get brain ache when I read too much. I always enjoy my reading more when I'm fresh.

message 18: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 290 comments I can read too much. A couple of years ago I was heavily into some reading challenges on here and I was trying to get through as many books as possible. I found I couldn't remember a book shortly after I finished it. I didn't really enjoy that and I actually burned myself out with reading. I still enjoy reading challenges but I am pacing myself more. I'll take more time to absorb some books and I'm enjoying them more.

message 19: by Trent (new)

Trent Williams (thwilliams) | 9 comments Others around me who don't enjoy reading often refer to it as a 'waste of time' but I say they need a good punch in the face! (and are often jealous as they feel they don't have 'time' for such things)

message 20: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Mclaren | 293 comments Lahni wrote: "I can read too much. A couple of years ago I was heavily into some reading challenges on here and I was trying to get through as many books as possible. I found I couldn't remember a book shortly..."

I worried about this -- last year I read 127 books! -- but then I thought, did I enjoy reading them? Then they have served their purposed. But I have found that when I read other's reviews of books that it reminds me of things in the books, so its not like I've completely forgotten them. And they stick with me much more than movies or TV shows.

message 21: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Kraft (kevkraft) You can do anything too much. Moderation is always important.

message 22: by Kevin (last edited Feb 27, 2015 03:02PM) (new)

Kevin Kraft (kevkraft) Remember Burgess Meredeth's character in that Twilight Zone episode about the odd little man who could only think of books? He couldn't relate to people because he loved books more than anything else.

Of course, he did end up the only survivor after a nuclear blast destroys everything else because of his obsession, so...

message 23: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha Vohn | 164 comments Remember in Greek Mythology the two rules that one had to keep in mind before visiting the Sybil? "Know thyself" and "Nothing in Excess".

I think those rules can apply to knowing when two much reading is hindering the quality of other important facets of your life and relationships.

message 24: by Xian Xian (new)

Xian Xian (xianxian) @Kevin, I don't think I was a cell when that Twilight episode came out. I've always wanted to watch the Twilight Zone. The old one, if that's what you're talking about.
@Tabitha, sometimes when I read too much, I end up playing video games.

message 25: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Kuttner | 19 comments That's a good question. I sometimes find that when I'm addicted to reading a series of books. (Literally chewing through them) I sometimes get to a point of saturation where I have literally 'overdone it' - at this point I usually take a break to come back later or put the whole thing down to never read any more again. (Happened on Game of Thrones by book 4)

message 26: by Adriana (new)

Adriana (adrianacontreras) Drugs, alcohol, sex...not the greatest addictions. They harm others as well as ourselves. Reading? I don't believe that harms anyone. Unless we are neglecting our responsibilities or those we love. Books can energize us, motivate us, guide us, teach us morals and values, allow us to escape a hum-drum day. The list goes on. Nothing on this lists could suggest reading too much is such a thing! ENJOY and keep reading! ; )

message 27: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha Vohn | 164 comments Lixian wrote: "@Kevin, I don't think I was a cell when that Twilight episode came out. I've always wanted to watch the Twilight Zone. The old one, if that's what you're talking about.
@Tabitha, sometimes when I ..."

LOL!

message 28: by Victor (new)

Victor Davis (victor-a-davis) | 18 comments Absolutely anybody can read too much. I can just picture a single bookaholic in his mother's basement, can't hold down a job, can't make comfortable eye contact, eats junk food instead of cooking, insomniac. Ok, I jest. But it leads to a point.

Writers are good at capturing the magic in life. Reading can invoke those feelings of magic. But why not let this augment your attempt to discover real magic in your real life? Are you married? Do you travel? Do you paint? Build? Brew? Hike? Be careful about letting books crowd out the really important, cathartic things in life that make life that wild incredible magical thing worth writing (and reading) about.

message 29: by Karin (new)

Karin Yes, it certainly is. When my kids were growing up I had to restrict my eldest to one chapter book or novel per day (fast reader) so she would have time for school (homeschooling at that time), play (very important for children!), being outside, exercising, developing social skills, etc.

It's also possible for adults to read too much. Anything that results in very little physical activity all day is bad for anyone who is not in a situation where they either can't move or shouldn't because they are recovering. Not to mention the isolation it can bring and other difficulties.

If you have a detached retina, NO reading is permitted (audiobooks only or things where you don't need to move your eyes or move, such as watching TV).

message 30: by Donnalee (new)

Donnalee Clubb | 31 comments It is possible to read too much, but is it possible to have too many books? LOL. There are other things I do in my life besides reading such as working, hiking, book clubs (does that count), Zumba class. But I order books every week or two. They are all on shelves and not blocking doorways. I figure it is my one vice. I don't smoke, drink or cuss (not much anyway. LOL).

message 31: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Ask my husband. LOL

message 32: by Danita (new)

Danita Brown | 57 comments No