Indonesians Who Love English Books discussion

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1)
This topic is about The Cuckoo's Calling
Specific Book / Author / Genre > The Cuckoo's Calling (February Group Read)

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Reza, The Curator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Reza | 467 comments Mod
This month we will be reading The Cuckoo's Calling.

You can discuss the book right here. Spoilers are allowed but this being mystery books, I guess we can all be extra considerate to our fellow reading buddies. The use of spoiler tags is recommended.

Happy reading!

Aditya Hadi (adityahadi) | 1 comments I don't think this is a spoiler, but i really think that there are some similaritiea between Cuckoo's Calling and Girl With Dragon Tattoo. Just look in the main male character, how he ask a lot of people in order to solve the mystery, the girl character who really good in computer ...

message 3: by Lynossa, Resident Connoisseur (last edited Feb 10, 2014 01:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynossa | 485 comments Mod
Aditya wrote: "I don't think this is a spoiler, but i really think that there are some similaritiea between Cuckoo's Calling and Girl With Dragon Tattoo. Just look in the main male character, how he ask a lot of ..."

Strangely I didnt see it that way. Millenium Series is oozed with testosteron; male character that all girls are crazy about, explicit gore and sex, to say the least. On the other hand, The Cuckoo's Calling is more like a traditional detective story (like Christie's) where all the leads and evidences are there, but we didn't see them because we're focusing on other and when the culprit is revealed, we realize it makes sense.
Of course detective has to ask lots of questions to solve mystery, Poirot did that, so did Sherlock, it's like 101 being detective: Ask question.
And come on, you can't compare Lisbeth with Robin, their similarities are only their gender and the fact that Robin uses computer. They don't even have the same skill :/

message 4: by Wildan (last edited Feb 09, 2014 10:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wildan (wmhadjri) | 49 comments Lynossa wrote: "Aditya wrote: "I don't think this is a spoiler, but i really think that there are some similaritiea between Cuckoo's Calling and Girl With Dragon Tattoo. Just look in the main male character, how h..."

Agreed, one more point to add: The Millenium Trilogy is full with feminism message. The series expose us with violence against women in modern setting which in turn presents us with a character who does not only denounce it but to also combat it in her own peculiar way. It's hard to discuss both of them at the same page.

Ren Puspita (renpuspita) | 244 comments I'm not read The Millenium Trilogy yet, so I can't compare.

I aggree with Lynossa that Cuckoo's is so much like traditional detective story. No villain that want to conquer the world, no rare treasure that must be hunted. Yet, Cuckoo's beguiled me into the end, because it's more than just a detective story. It is a story about Cormoran and his life. And that what fascinated me because, yes, the magic still here.

Alas, the translation version have some "funny" words :))

message 6: by Aisyaraisya (new) - added it

Aisyaraisya | 23 comments is that good one?
I' ve read The Casual Vacancy, and I'm enjoy it. I mean just enjoy it. Not as amazing as HP is if I have to say. But we cant doubt about JK Rowling skills that for sure. She knows how to write a book, how to build the characters and story.

I know there's a huge different story between those 3 genre. but still,its hard to not compare it

message 7: by Lynossa, Resident Connoisseur (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aisyaraisya wrote: "is that good one?
I' ve read The Casual Vacancy, and I'm enjoy it. I mean just enjoy it. Not as amazing as HP is if I have to say. But we cant doubt about JK Rowling skills that for sure. She kno..."

Maybe because I like good ol' detective story, but I think it's better than The Casual Vacancy.

Wildan (wmhadjri) | 49 comments Ren wrote: "I'm not read The Millenium Trilogy yet, so I can't compare.

I aggree with Lynossa that Cuckoo's is so much like traditional detective story. No villain that want to conquer the world, no rare tre..."

The Magic is still there, agreed. I'm a huge Potterhead but even though I didn't know that it was written by Rowling I think I'd still give it four stars. There's something magical about Cormoran and Robin's relationship! Okay that's exaggerating. But to know the dynamics of their relationship is the main reason why I'd definitely read the sequel :)

Biondy | 103 comments Gotta admit that I will read the translated version since I already have one :))

Rania Belva (ranibelv) | 5 comments Well, all I could say after reading the book is, how I wish that Cormoran and Robin'd have a more romantic relationship in the future :) it's a series, right?

Wildan (wmhadjri) | 49 comments Rania wrote: "Well, all I could say after reading the book is, how I wish that Cormoran and Robin'd have a more romantic relationship in the future :) it's a series, right?"

yess, you can tell from the subdued sexual tension that there's more to tell about the two of them. I agree with you, Rania! Any info about the sequel, guys?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

there is age gap between Robin and Strike, it's just that Strike doesn't use his computer and internet connection very well.

Wildan (wmhadjri) | 49 comments Mayday wrote: "there is age gap between Robin and Strike, it's just that Strike doesn't use his computer and internet connection very well."

..can he even use it??

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

^ THAT!

Ren Puspita (renpuspita) | 244 comments @Idan : Yes. The sequel already had title and blurb (and cover). Plan to release June 2014

The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2) by Robert Galbraith

message 16: by Lynossa, Resident Connoisseur (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'd prefer there will be no romantic relationship between Cormorran and Robin. Why should we reduce every male-female relationship into romance?
But knowing JKR, it's probably going to happen.

Cininta Savitri | 70 comments i agree with lynossa i would prefer if there isn't a romantic relationship between strike and robin

message 18: by Nana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nana (marsh113) | 44 comments I agree too!! No romance, please!

Can't wait for the 2nd book but I think I'd prefer to buy the translated version. I'm quite satisfied with the first book's translation.

Ren Puspita (renpuspita) | 244 comments According to Publisher Weekly, Robert Galbraith plan to write 7 books for Cormoran Strike series.

As for me, romance or not, doesn't matter to me. I still read it, nonetheless. Beside I enjoy the relationship when it still on progress (aka, so many sexual tension) rather than already happen. Rowling is not good when it come to romance.

Wildan (wmhadjri) | 49 comments Ren wrote: "According to Publisher Weekly, Robert Galbraith plan to write 7 books for Cormoran Strike series.

As for me, romance or not, doesn't matter to me. I still read it, nonetheless. Beside I enjoy the ..."

SEVEN BOOKS!
Oh my! *swoon

message 21: by Nana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nana (marsh113) | 44 comments 7 books. Like Harry Potter. Ha!

Btw, do you imagine someone as Lula when you read the book? Idk why but I kept thinking of Chanel Iman..

Or, do you make dream casts for this book? Share! Share!! It's not breaking the rules, is it?

Wildan (wmhadjri) | 49 comments Nana wrote: "7 books. Like Harry Potter. Ha!

Btw, do you imagine someone as Lula when you read the book? Idk why but I kept thinking of Chanel Iman..

Or, do you make dream casts for this book? Share! Share!! ..."

Who's Chanel Iman? *googling
Oh wow, yum! I approve, lol

Ren Puspita (renpuspita) | 244 comments Richard Armitage or Tom Hardy as Cormoran

Cininta Savitri | 70 comments i imagined john bristow looks like mycroft from the sherlock series haha dunno why

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Mark Gatis? Nooooooooooooo *wails* he is too good, beside Bristow is short and Gatis is like six feet or something.

Samantha (praesenti) | 43 comments Never got around buying this book, unfortunately :( Still on my 'to buy' and 'to read' lists. And I voted for it, too...

Namida Puti (puti) | 95 comments How about that Wolverine Guy who play Cormoran? Too handsome?

Ren Puspita (renpuspita) | 244 comments Namida wrote: "How about that Wolverine Guy who play Cormoran? Too handsome? "

Hugh Jackman? Umm, no :D

Samantha (praesenti) | 43 comments Almost forgot to tell y'all... For those who still want to read this (like me), Periplus now has the small paperback for 125k (plus "new book discount" for those who are PEC holders). They never had it before, so I guess they recently stocked it. I got mine last week. JSYK.