Zombies! discussion

Off Topic Chit Chat > Outbreak Survival Scenarios

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by dave (new)

dave (thebat37) hi there fellow zombie fans. heres a game i thought might be fun. im going to put a scenario you will find yourself in and you tell me how youd get out of it. maybe give a scenario for fellow members to try to survive and the next does the same and so on and so forth. anyways here we go:

youre trapped in a station wagon completely surrounded by zombies. you have enough food and water for about a week but after that you are screwed. youve got a gun with only 3 bullets left. they are the slow moving, old school romero style zombies, so the thought of trying to outrun them has come up. but the swarm is deep and strong, constantly pounding on the car, moaning for your flesh and driving you nuts. what would you do?

message 2: by Netanella (new)

Netanella | 2107 comments how deep is the swarm and how old is the wagon?

message 3: by dave (new)

dave (thebat37) its one of the old school wood paneled wagons from the 70s. keys are gone. and im talkin 30 people deep.

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara | 94 comments Maybe try putting the car in neutral and see if the combined weight of the horde will get me rolling. That way you could get away from enough of them to maybe make a break for it on foot. Just sitting there, I don't think you'd last a week to eat your food anyway...wouldn't they break through the glass?

message 5: by dave (new)

dave (thebat37) yea thats what i was thinking too sara, just throw it in neutral and see if they would push you clear a bit. in this scenario the zombies are the slow moving stupid ones that just kinda pound on the glass leaving bloody handprints. they dont have the strength to make it through.

message 6: by Sara (new)

Sara | 94 comments But if the horde is 30 deep, then the combined force of them pushing on each other will eventually break the glass, right?

message 7: by Randy (last edited Feb 08, 2014 03:21PM) (new)

Randy Harmelink | 2142 comments dave wrote: "in this scenario the zombies are the slow moving stupid ones that just kinda pound on the glass leaving bloody handprints."

Not Romero-type zombies then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_f2En...

message 8: by dave (new)

dave (thebat37) yea i suppose it would, like a stampede at a concert or something. tho these zombies have no strength so its almost like its just a bunch of bodies leaning on each other, plus their constantly shifting and groping for the car, perhaps they wouldnt be pushing on one spot long enough to break through. what about some kind of distraction. last ditch effort, open the door on one end, make a lot of noise so they start streaming in and make a break for it out the back door when the crowd is thinning. its a risky and most likely suicidal move but perhaps it would work.

message 9: by dave (new)

dave (thebat37) Randy wrote: "dave wrote: "in this scenario the zombies are the slow moving stupid ones that just kinda pound on the glass leaving bloody handprints."

Not Romero-type zombies then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch..."

yea they can break through shit pretty badly, this is true. i didnt bother checking the link cuz, well to be honest im lazy, lol. but i have all the romero flicks and ive seen them all, i do know what you mean. they can use crude tools like monkeys. with this i meant that they were the slow moving, shifting about randomly kind of zombie as opposed to the running at top speed screaming at you zombie. what i was thinking for this scenario was basically dead bodies that have the tiniest bit of life left and are lookin for more. admittedly though i did just come up with the scenario off the top my head, lol, so i apologise if you dont like it. got a good scenario for us randy?

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara | 94 comments "They're coming to get you, Barbra."
First saw this movie at an inappropriately young age (thanks Mom!).
Johnny creeped me out so much while he was still human; I had nightmares for weeks when I saw him zombie-fied. Poor Barbra. Interesting tie-in though...didn't she put the car in neutral and go for a roll?

message 11: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 2142 comments Sara wrote: "didn't she put the car in neutral and go for a roll?"

Just went back to the clip -- all she did was disengage the emergency brake. And then the car ran right into a tree.

Women drivers. Geez. :)

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara | 94 comments LOL. Poor Barbra...she just wasn't designed for the zombie apocalypse.

message 13: by dave (new)

dave (thebat37) yea she didnt really handle that situation all that well. i much prefer the barbara in the 90s remake, tho i think she made the same mistake didnt she? she definitely lost the car in or near the graveyard if i recall correctly. and johnny was such a jerk, lol, he was creepy and weird lookin plus kind of a huge jerk long before he turned.

message 14: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 2142 comments dave wrote: "got a good scenario for us randy? "

Not really. I always figured I'd be one of the lucky ones that dies early on.

I suppose you could try lowering the back window and shout out, hoping to attract them to the back of the car. With it in neutral, that also might get the car pushed in one direction. Or give you enough of an opening to drive through.

However, they might get leverage on the window and break it.

But if they put their heads up to the opening, you might be able to kill a few if you have something you can plunge into the brain.

message 15: by dave (new)

dave (thebat37) perhaps if it was the kind of station wagon where the back door swings open to the left or the right it might push the zombies out of the way, but that would just leave the ones right behind them free to get you. if you made a distraction out the front perhaps, tried to get them to come to the front of the car, it would leave only a few at the back which the door can push out of the way. then you make a break for it. but again that sounds like a death trip, but i guess thats the way of the world in a zombie apocalypse.

message 16: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 2142 comments dave wrote: "i much prefer the barbara in the 90s remake, tho i think she made the same mistake didnt she?"

In the original, Barbara *was* going down the road, but was so busy looking back, she sideswiped a tree along the side of the road.

In the remake, the car was rolling down the hill *backwards*, perpendicular to the road, and slammed trunk-first into a tree. And since the zombie had broken through the driver-side window instead of the passenger-side window, it was more reasonable for Barbara to lose control of the car. The car was moving much faster as well.

message 17: by dave (new)

dave (thebat37) ah yes thats right, i should definitely watch that movie again, its been a while. i like that barbara is fighter in it, instead of basically a vegetable, lol

message 18: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 2142 comments Does the station wagon have a sunroof that could be used? Probably not, if it was the older style. But they had roll-down back windows, which is what I was referring to.

In any case, if the zombies are 30 deep in all directions, I don't think you're going anywhere.

message 19: by dave (new)

dave (thebat37) yea it really is a stuck situation. perhaps if there was a sunroof you could at least get on the roof, get a look around. maybe even pull a cartoon escape and run across all the zombies jumping from bloody head to bloody head.

message 20: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 2142 comments If you had the right equipment, you might be able to create a hole on the bottom of the car. Someone could crawl under the car. If the people in the car can create enough of a distraction, they might be able to crawl between the legs of the zombies.

Would zombies *feel* something rubbing against their legs?

If they're packed against each other, they might not be able to even see downward, much less bend downward.

Although there might be an issue when you get to the edge of the group.

If it worked, that person could distract the zombies so the car could get free. Then arrange to pick up that person when the horde is not quite so dense.

message 21: by Scott (new)

Scott Baker | 84 comments One option is to crawl in back and open the tailgate. It would take a few minutes for the zombies to crawl in to get to you, and hopefully the commotion at the back of the wagon would draw those away from the front of the car. Then you could kick open one of the front doors and escape. The downside is, if it fails, you have no where to tun.

Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books) (goodreadscomhermyoni) | 274 comments I wonder if you could create a hole in the floor, put the car in nuetral and use some leg power to get you moving maybe just enough to clear an escape route for yourself?

message 23: by dave (new)

dave (thebat37) now that is a good idea kristin, use the weight to clear the way and try not to get run over. scott that is what i was thinking too, distraction, but if it fails youre done for, i think that would be a last ditch effort. the last stand if i couldnt make it through the floor of the car like clever kristin.

well shall we get a new scenario to play with? anyone else want to throw one out there or should i come up with another one?

message 24: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Spears (rjspears) | 14 comments I decided not to read the other responses, so I would only have the facts as you provided them:

I'd try to lay low and hope that some of them get distracted or pulled away by some other meal. I'd give it a day or two or three.

Somewhere in early hours before I started waiting, I'd see if there was anyway to cut away the material from the seats (break the rear view mirror?) and I'd wrap my arms in that as padding from any bites. I also retrieve the tire iron from the spare tire spot in the back of the station wagon. (Come on, it's got to have a tire iron.)

When I was ready, I'd break out a back window and try to draw as many as I could to the back of the vehicle and then rush to the front and use two bullets to escape. If that fails, leave one bullet for my ultimate escape.

message 25: by dave (new)

dave (thebat37) definitely the most practical solution yet. good call r.j

message 26: by Elizabeth, Zombies! Mod (new)

Elizabeth | 497 comments Mod
Randy wrote: "If you had the right equipment, you might be able to create a hole on the bottom of the car. Someone could crawl under the car. If the people in the car can create enough of a distraction, they mig..."

In the REALLY old wagons, it doesn't take much to bust through the floor. Ask me how I know ;)

I don't think I'd try to crawl through their legs, though. I'd put that sucker in neutral and push it. Depending on how fast they are, you might be able to roll out the side and run.

message 27: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 2142 comments But if the zombies are 30 deep, all around you, the additional force you generate by pushing is going to be like adding a drop to a bucket of water. Even if you had a full tank of gas and put the car into drive, I doubt you could negate the force of zombies 30 deep. And, if you did move forward, you'd be on top of crushed bodies.

In order to move the car in neutral, you'll going to have to get the zombies to redirect their forces.

Just curious if you saw the Mythbusters episode about zombies? When they did their test to see if a bunch of zombies could knock down a barn door, they had all the "zombie" participants wearing protective body sleeves, keeping their arms up. Otherwise, the combined force from the group pushing forward would have broken bones and crushed rib cages of those in the front ranks.

message 28: by dave (new)

dave (thebat37) what if the zombies pushed the car for you while in neutral. theyd be pushing on all sides but if you move the wheel left and right a few times perhaps youd be able to find a sweet spot. start rolling and maybe youd be out of there, running down the deads as you go, then make a break for it when youre clear, or as clear as you can get. i havent seen that mythbusters episode but it sounds pretty awesome, lol

Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books) (goodreadscomhermyoni) | 274 comments I'll give a go at a scenario. How about your trapped in the attic with enough supplies to last at least a year however, the house next door has caught fire and the flames are inching ever closer to your yard. An indeterminate amount of Zombies are keeping you from opening the hatch and leaving through the window puts you precariously close to the flames. What do you do?

message 30: by dave (new)

dave (thebat37) hmmm fire or zombies, that is a tough one. i think id probably take all the food i could carry and try my luck out the window. is there anything i could use for a rope or can i climb down an eves trough or somethin? or is it a full on fall. in which case that might not be the best route. if i cant climb down i dont know, maybe try to bust through the roof in a couple different rooms, make a lot of noise, get them all drawn to one room. take my chances hopping through the hole farthest away from the room o' zombies and get out before i am barbequed

message 31: by Netanella (new)

Netanella | 2107 comments Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books) wrote: "I wonder if you could create a hole in the floor, put the car in nuetral and use some leg power to get you moving maybe just enough to clear an escape route for yourself?"

So Fred Flinstone!

message 32: by Sara (new)

Sara | 94 comments "An indeterminate amount of Zombies are keeping you from opening the hatch, and leaving through the window puts you precariously close to the flames."

If the flames are that close to your window, it sounds like you are essentially dead unless you leave the attic, right? I'm not sure what to make of the "indeterminate" number of zombies waiting below the hatch. If they are shoulder-to-shoulder, I guess dropping down that way would also be a certain death.

I guess the best solution would be to soak a blanket with water, wrap it around myself, and go out the window. Hopefully there is a way to drop from there to the yard that doesn't involve breaking a leg/ankle.

Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books) (goodreadscomhermyoni) | 274 comments Let's say they can't open it to peek without the Zombies being able to either get through the hatch or losing the doorway closing the attic off from downstairs.

message 34: by Glyn (new)

Glyn Gardner | 37 comments I'd keep in mind that I have a bunch of supplies, so I have time. Don't panic.
Instead of going out to bottom of the car, I'd think more about the roof. It'll be thin aluminum and will be easier to get through than the weight bearing floorboards. Think of the turret ring on a military vehicle.
From that position if you can find something in the car to fashion a spear out of, you could simply begin stabbing zombies in the head from the safety of the center of the car.
I would not, under any circumstances, open a door or window. They're your only thing standing between the hoard and you. Remember, you have time. Don't panic.

message 35: by Glyn (new)

Glyn Gardner | 37 comments As for the house scenario, if you have anything sharp at all, you can be on the roof in like 30 minutes. Most roofs are made of 4x8 plywood nailed to 2x4's. you could probably kick your way out. Then your o. The roof and have LOTS of options.
You could just stomp on the embers if you want to keep your well stocked fortress. You could create a fever soon on 1 side of the house and go off the roof on the other side.

message 36: by Sara (new)

Sara | 94 comments OK - just watched an online clip of a horde of zombie actors that was approximately 30 deep on all sides (120 total). I am now 95% certain that a horde of that size would, just by the force of their collective weight/forward momentum, break out the windows of the car in very short order. Hell, they might even end up flipping the car.

Regarding scenario #2, if the flames are so close you can't get out of the window, I don't think there's any way to avoid the attic space burning. You aren't just stomping on embers anymore if the flames are licking your house.

message 37: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 2142 comments To me, "30 deep" would have been a heckuva lot more than 120 total. For a station wagon, at least 8 columns of 30 deep along the sides of the car and 4 columns of 30 deep along the front and back. So approaching 1000 in total.

But, yes, a LOT of force.

message 38: by dave (new)

dave (thebat37) yea there would really be a time limit, that many zombies would not let you cower for long in a metal box.

i like the idea of going through the roof in the fire scenario. maybe you could climb down the other side of the house, or down to a window or something. good call

Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books) (goodreadscomhermyoni) | 274 comments The fire is close but still outside of your yard. In my head I have the flames about six feet away from the house (the window faces the small side yard between houses) they almost touch the fence dividing your yard from the neighbors.

message 40: by Sara (new)

Sara | 94 comments Right Randy, sorry, I meant 30-ish per side of the car. You are totally right, way more at 30 deep. They'd crush that car for sure.

message 41: by dave (new)

dave (thebat37) hmm so there is a chance that the fire wont even hit the house? i was thinking the houses were right next to each other, once one goes it just takes all the others with it. but if its still outside the yard, maybe the wind will take it away from your house. perhaps i would wait, keep an eye on the fire, see what happens. it would be a shame to take off and leave a cozy attic with lots of supplies in a panic over fire