The Infinite Ink Secret Lair: For YA/NA Spec Fic Lovers discussion

Book Discussion > Tell Us What You Love (or Hate) about Your Current Read

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.G. (new)

A.G. Henley | 12 comments Mod
I'm reading The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. I just can't get enough of her prose, savoring each page I read. I love how she manages to make her characters distinctive, but still write with beauty and imagination from each perspective. Hell, I want to be one of her characters half the time.

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Darcy (nciacchella) | 29 comments Mod
I'm reading Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson, and I love how David fails at all metaphors. It makes for some really fun reading!

message 3: by A.G. (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "I'm reading Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson, and I love how David fails at all metaphors. It makes for some really fun reading!"

That's on my TBR list. Glad to hear you're enjoying it, Elizabeth!

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

I finished it and it was lots of fun. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys superhero-type stories. Good characters, plenty of action, and an interesting premise.

I just finished reading The Fault in Our Stars, and the thing I loved to hate about it was all the tissue I went through while reading it. I definitely want to see the movie!

message 5: by A.G. (new)

I'm moving it up my list. Although I have some I'm dying to get to on it already ...

message 6: by Shelbi (new)

Shelbi Wescott | 7 comments Mod
Right now I'm teaching The Fault in Our Stars to my students as part of Literature Circle groups. They DEVOURED it!

If you haven't read David Leviathan's Every Day, I highly recommend it. Easily one of my favorite books of the year last year.

message 7: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Cannon (zoecannon) | 18 comments Mod
It's not YA, but Sacrificed in Shadow by S.M. Reine is serving as a good cure for this reading slump. I love old-school urban fantasy - heavy on the action, light on the romance - and S.M. Reine does it really well.

message 8: by S.K. (new)

S.K. Falls (skfalls) | 3 comments Mod
I read the first book in the Vampire Academy series and LOVED it! The lore of the Moroi and the guardians struck me as so rich and completely original. I'm definitely going to read book two, and it takes a lot for me to keep going with a series. Oh, I also read book one of Elizabeth Hunter's Elemental series and looooved it. I must be on some kind of vampire kick... :)

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (sabicas73) | 7 comments I am reading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon . It is a time travel series. It has been purchased by Starz and is due to start this fall according to Entertainment Weekly. It is really good!!!

message 10: by A.G. (new)

Sandhya, Vampire Academy is in my TBR pile. Glad to hear you liked it! And Lisa, Outlander is one of my all time favorite books. I didn't finish the series (I can have series burnout after about three books) but I still feel like I actually travelled back in time to Scotland whenever I think about Outlander. Now, where's Jamie??

message 11: by Eddie (new)

Eddie (ticklemeelmo) | 5 comments Kahayatle

ok.. im 1/2 way through... and.... well.. I live in Florida... right bouts around where this story takes place. So needless to say.. this book is 'becoming ever so real' to me. that has its good, and bad. I don't think any author intends for such a book to become 'so vividly real'.. But this book is quickly captivating and terrifying me at the same time. Is this a good thing??? For me, yes, but it just takes me longer to read the book, cuz i have to 'rest my soul'

This will DEF be a 5 star book..

message 12: by Melyssa (new)

Melyssa Williams | 5 comments A.G. wrote: "I'm reading The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. I just can't get enough of her prose, savoring each page I read. I love how she manages to make her characters distinctive, but still write with ..."

I adore this book. Her others, meh, not so much, especially the Shiver ones which are what she's famous for. But The Scorpio Races - one of my top five books of the last couple years for sure.

message 13: by Melyssa (new)

Melyssa Williams | 5 comments Lisa wrote: "I am reading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon . It is a time travel series. It has been purchased by Starz and is due to start this fall according to Entertainment Weekly. It is really good!!!"

Ohhhhh, you're about to get sucked into a huge and fabulous series! I've read them all twice. I hope the miniseries does it justice!

message 14: by Melyssa (last edited Feb 25, 2014 09:04AM) (new)

Melyssa Williams | 5 comments I'm rereading The Glass Castle at the moment. It's wonderful. The only thing that is weird for me is that my mom said it was like reading her own biography, which was a little terrifying. She doesn't talk much about her childhood! Not shelved as YA, but it is a coming of age story.
As far as YA, I'm in the middle of the second of SK Falls book, but my Kindle is refusing to turn on these days. Boo. :(

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

I recently finished reading The Line, and it was an extremely enjoyable surprise. I'm kind of picky about urban fantasy, and I thought this book was great. It had a very Southern Gothic feel to it, and the magical system is very interested. I picked it up on a whim and am glad I did. I'm looking forward to reading the next installment.