Who's Your Author? discussion

Better Off Undead (The Bloodhound Files, #4)
This topic is about Better Off Undead
Member Buddy Reads > Better Off Undead (The Bloodhound Files #4) by D.D. Barant; Start Date March 21st?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (last edited Feb 07, 2014 10:18AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments

This topic is open for discussion of Better Off Undead by D.D. Barant. Be prepared for SPOILERS.

Synopsis:
Dark magic, unknown enemies, monsters of every stripe—FBI profiler Jace Valchek has seen it all. In this bizarre parallel universe, shape-shifting werewolves and blood-thirsty vampires don’t even warrant a raised eyebrow. That is, until Jace has to face what life might look like as one of them …

It starts off as just another run-of-the-mill assignment: to track down the rogue don of a mafia werewolf family before he upsets the delicate balance of the underworld. But Jace wasn’t counting on being bitten…and soon she’s fighting the growing wolf inside her with a startling antidote—vampirism. Stopping a bloody gangland war won’t be easy when Jace is feeling some new, and very inhuman, desires …

message 2: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments reserved

message 3: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 16, 2014 02:19PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments March 21st good?

Sara | 860 comments Yep.

Sara | 860 comments Thoughts on Chapters 1 - 5

Warning, Spoilers Ahead...

"Charlie owns the copyright to the word deadpan. and he's filed an application for wiseass. Think Humphrey Bogart by way of the Terminator and you'll have an idea of his style. But he dresses better than either of them." - Charlie! My favorite golem.

"Booth assassinated Lincoln here, too? With what?"
"Wooden gavel with the handle sharpened to a point." - I'm assuming Lincoln was a vampire.

Blading sounds painful.

"Nuts, huh? Ya think?" - Louis is very hardcore if he can has such a casual response to being disemboweled - healing factor or no that had to hurt!

"This is Dr. Jace Valchek." - Is this the first time we've heard of Jace having a doctoral degree?

The attempt to bring Dr. Pete back was an epic fail. Where was Charlie?

Charlie vs the Gray Wolves? - My money's on Charlie.

"Strangely enough, I don't seem to be angry with Tair." - Probably because Jace felt like the procedure was similar to an execution. It's hard to be angry with a man who is trying to preserve his own life.

The imprint bond - is that the reason she isn't angry with Tair.

Cool, collected, and calm Gretchen would scare the crap out of me too. Jace forgot the most important thing in her explanation - an apology for lying to Gretchen's face about the events of that night. The fact that her daughter was in danger - and could still be in danger - is the big factor causing her anger.

"That's good enough for me. Now let's go back inside - I promise you, no one will pry." - Leo
"Tell me an exactly how it happened. Every detail." - Xandra

Not even an Alpha can contain a teenager's curiousity.

Xandra's faith in Dr. Pete/Tair will be heartbreaking if he doesn't come around to the good guy's side. If Xandra's right, we may have a return of Dr. Pete with a bad boy side.

"The option of letting me drink your blood." This could be interesting - is Cassius going to drain the Were infection from Jace? Or will it go wrong and cause Jace to become a were/vamp hybrid? Is Jace willing to risk it?

Sara | 860 comments Thoughts on Chapters 6 - 7

"On the other end of the scale, I really, really, really hope you're not talking about turning me into a Big Gulp. Because I'm pretty sure I would taste like coffee and probably keep you from sleeping for a few years." - This is totally going to be my defense against a vampire attack.

"There was a discussion with certain elements of the local community." - Sucks to those elements.

"How did you get bitten by a monkey in Seattle?...A cursed howler monkey." - Charlie is able to think fast on his feet and give Jace a bad time simultaneously.

Sara | 860 comments Thoughts on Chapters 8 - 11

"You can't do that! You can't just barge in here and wreck expensive equipment - "
"Charlie?" - I need a Charlie so I can win arguments by just mentioning his name.

"He turned them down, muttering something about a prior commitment to a lunatic with a gun." - Aww, Charlie is so sweet.

I laughed at Jace's internal translation of Charlie and Mason's conversation: "Meatbag! Meatbag! Bag. Of meat. ... The Good Old Days, when thropes were thropes, pires were pires, and lems were tall, man-shaped piles of rock that everybody agreed were Really Cool. ... There, there. I commiserate in a manly way."

"You won't like it."
"Try me."
"Quietly."
"Why wouldn't I like that?"
"No need to raise your voice." - Jace does prefer the in-your-face approach to things.

Charlie has to be very conflicted on the subject of illegal lems. He's a law enforcement officer but destroying illegal lems? Shouldn't that constitute murder? And how is it the lems fault - they didn't ask to be created.

The slave ship was very heartbreaking. Those poor women and lems.

"He's adorable when he's overprotective." - It was a very cute tirade.

"Okay. Before we get started, I want to make one thing absolutely, crystal clear."
"What?"
"You're doing the paperwork."
"For what?"
"For whatever rage-induced mayhem we're about to inflict."
"We?"
"Yeah." - Love Jace & Charlie's partnership.

message 8: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 22, 2014 11:08AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments *****Thoughts for Chapters 1 - 11?? Maybe farther******
So I've read quite a bit of this, but an unsure how far I am. I'm fairly certain I've read through Chapter 11. I'm around 33% through on my Kindle which I'm not loving (the Kindle not the book). I keep trying to turn a page and it much too often goes ahead 2 screens instead of 1 and sometimes it goes back 1 or 2 screams, er, screens. lol Anyway, I have a head cold and fear if I go upstairs to get my reader I'll lay down and not get back up for a while. So I'm guessing how far I've read.

Anyway, I keep wondering what's going to happen to Jace. Since there are surely more books I'll eliminate she dies as an option. The title suggests she'll become undead, but I'm not biting into that one. As for going all warm and fuzzy...I'm not convinced. It would take out the whole going home element of the series and I don't think the author would do that. I predict she'll stay human. If I'm right, however, will she be able to turn in the future if she wants too? I wonder.

So Charlie is still my favorite, but I can't help wondering if this shaman ritual doesn't work, how bad would a good/bad young version of Harrison Ford be? Dr. Pete didn't do it for Jace and neither did Tair. Could a splice of the two be a winning combination for Jace? I'm just saying...

I don't think I would have brought the baby with to the Gangster meeting. You can tell Gretchen is her friend or Jace would probably have gotten more than a cold shoulder.

Blading is another weird fashion trend. Can you say 'Ow!'?

Sara | 860 comments How odd - I've been battling a head cold this weekend too. It's leaving me dizzy and light-headed.

Charlie is still my fave too - he's clearly the most awesome male in the series. The Pete/Tair combo might work though - Pete's morals with a bad boy edge.

Blading is very "Ow!"

I've pretty much mastered the Kindle but sometimes the touch screen gets the better of me too. Technology in general gets the better of me.

Thoughts on Chapters 12 - 13 -

I love that they were able to save the enslaved women.

Jace, when will you learn that sneaking off without Charlie never ends well? You have only yourself to blame if he implants a tracker in you. I did laugh at the baby monitor comment though.

Tair as a mentor? That should be interesting. I still don't trust him though.

message 10: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 860 comments Thoughts on Chapter 14 -

"I've seen behind the mask of his public persona, and what was there was deep and genuine and very carefully hidden." - Dr. Pete might be underneath all the bluster after all.

Is Tair's determination to help Aturo due to a debt of honor or the slow emergence of Dr. Pete?

Love how Charlie followed Jace without her knowledge - by this point in their relationship I'm sure he knows all of her tricks.

I think Jace is going to be disappointed in her visit to the human reservation. They may be human but Jace has an entirely different mindset than the other humans.

message 11: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 860 comments Thoughts on Chapters 15 - 18

Nice reveal on Cassius aiding the humans during the course of the World War II plague. Otherwise it would be hard to root for Cassius with the whole "I was involved in a plot that killed six million humans" thing hanging over his head."

"I feel like the PMS Fairy just hollowed out my skull and used it for a toilet bowl." - I've had days where I've felt like that.

What is up with Arturo's rampage? Is there a reason behind it or is it pure insanity?

Billy Beta was adorable - I'm glad that Jace & Charlie were able to put him in a safehouse.

message 12: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 860 comments Thoughts on Chapters 19 - 21

Poor Jace caught in-between the Xandra and Gretchen showdown: "Have you ever seen a sandwich this big?" I've been in those situations where you're desperately grabbing at any conversation attempt in order to prevent World War III.

"...it's gonna wind up all over this kitchen...Scuze me. Rescue mission. Probably hopeless, but I gotta try." - Jace just wants to eat, ladies - why won't you let her eat?

I think Gretchen deserves a swat on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper for egging Xandra on in that fight. Xandra may have started it but as an adult Gretchen was supposed to rise above it.

Cassius may die if he continues to provide the treatment?

"Hug?" - Gally is so cute.

The Don's sane and Tair is going to be his replacement?

message 13: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 860 comments Thoughts on Chapters 22 - End

The storming of the senator's grounds was fun from Jace's un-ninja entrance to Charlie's dramatic entrance.

Gretchen's payback was wicked. I thought she was entirely too calm about the kidnapping. I'm sure it will be a while before those mobsters even look at another baby.

Jace is back to being human but I wonder if there will be any after-effects.

The Jace-Cassius hookup was kind of blah. The best part was Charlie's comment in the aftermath. I did enjoy the insight we received into Cassius throughout the book - it makes sense that he battles depression and self-loathing due to his part in the World War II plague.

Dr. Pete is on his way back but Tair's not giving up without a fight. Go Dr. Pete!

Finally, the scene that absolutely must be in the next book: Jace teaching Gally kung fu!

message 14: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments I finished, but am too tired to comment. Since about 3:30 this afternoon all I've wanted to do is go sleep which is what I think I'll do now. I will say this for now. I think this is my favorite of the series so far.

message 15: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Gah! I just commented and Goodreads didn't post anything.

message 16: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments One of my favorite Charlie/Jace scenes:
“I’m in position.” Charlie’s voice, coming through my earpiece.
“Wish I could say the same. All the blood’s rushing to my head.”
“Thrope stuff?” Charlie sounds a little worried.
“No, I’m upside down.”
“Why?”
“I thought it would make me look all cool and ninja-y.”

message 17: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 25, 2014 05:25AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments ******** Comments and thoughts for 11 - end **********

The whole relationship with Tair and Don seemed strange to me. Is he grooming him to be his replacement? I can't help but think Tair came up with the plan to save Don, but Tair is no match otherwise.

So we have a split personality with Tair/Dr. Pete going on. There goes my hope for a merge of the two personalities. From Jace's little trip inside Tair's mind it sounds like Xandra may be right about her uncle's feelings for Jace. Was he hoping him being a mentor to him might make them grow closer?

The Jace/Cassius relationship isn't working for me. Would he still have feelings for her if she wasn't human? Was Cassius turned against his will? The whole relationship is a bad idea in my humble opinion. If he loves her how likely is he going to be to work on a way to send her home? Plus, if they split the working relationship could get complicated and awkward.

The human reservation was quite depressing. It's been hinted at that Jace is different from the humans on Thropirelem. If so is there more than we know? Also, will she retain any of the abilities she picked up from the two versions of the virus dueling it out in her body? That would be cool if she did. Also, could she be from a different dimension than ours?

I liked how Charlie and Jace were able to help Billy Beta and the women. I find it hard to believe they could control the vamps that way. I too liked Billy and wonder if he and the women will come up again. I hope the women are smart enough to make a new start with all the money they gave them. It seems like they could use some counseling. I wonder if they'll pop up in later books.

So did we know the following before? I don't recall it being stated:
"Enforcement lems are a relatively new development—they’ve only been around a few decades. Before that, soldiers were the same yellow that laborers are now.” I think about that. “And black lems are made from predators.” “Yes. On some level, humans equate them with thropes or pires.”

Also, has she ever referred to the world as Thropirelem before? I don't recall that one.

I would never mess with Gretchen.

I found it interesting that Don killed so many of his own men. Was this his way of cleaning house?

message 18: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 860 comments The ninja moment made me laugh - especially when Charlie pointed out Jace was acting in the exact opposite of the ninja way.

The Tair-Pete merge may still happen. They might have to compromise in order for both halves to live.

I'm not fond of the Jace-Cassius hookup at all. The man has more issues than Tair/Pete! Honestly, Jace should hook up with Charlie - he's the true man of the series. I think Jace will end up with Tair/Pete by the end of the series.

I'm almost certain Jace will have after-effects from the dueling viruses in her system. They may think they destroyed everything but they could be wrong - viruses are everywhere inside a body. They might have missed a drop or two.

I think the bit about the lems was mentioned in the first book and Jace referred to the world as "Thropirelem" in the last book when they were dealing with multiple realites.

Gretchen's hardcore. "Any questions?" Nope, none at all.

The Don was definitely using the opportunity to clean house. Tair was there to pay a debt and cause mayhem.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Better Off Undead (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

D.D. Barant (other topics)