IMO Knowledge Team Reads discussion

Choosing the next month's book

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peter (new)

Peter | 2 comments Mary asked about how we should go about choosing books after the first month. I'll copy/paste my reply here to kickstart a conversation about what we should do.

I think we could just keep the same list and add to it as we go along and people have more ideas. There are more books on the list than I was able to vote for in one round, so I think it’d be a shame to miss out on the opportunity to read some in the book club because an entirely new list was submitted the next month. It might make sense to remove books from the list if they didn’t get any votes, but that might be a little harsh depending on the how the votes were spread out.

message 2: by Diana (last edited Feb 07, 2014 09:03AM) (new)

Diana Harper (dianar_se) | 4 comments I think the idea to re-use the list is great, as is the idea to remove books that didn't get any votes!

But how will we decide which books to add to the list as the list shrinks?

Would it make sense to have everyone who is interested submit one or two suggestions, with the idea that you can re-submit a title if it didn't win the last time around as long as it received at least one vote?

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1 comments Great idea, Peter!

message 4: by Peter (new)

Peter | 2 comments We could just say that everyone involved is welcome to have 2 or 3 books nominated at a time. If someone's book is chosen or removed from the list because no one was interested in reading it, they can replace it with another suggestion. I would guess that we will never be short on suggested books.

It seems unnecessary to have to resubmit suggestions. It's probably safe to assume that someone would still want their suggestion in the running even if it didn't win that particular month.

Perhaps we could keep a list of eligible books posted here on Goodreads? That way, we'd be able to see if books were being removed due to a lack of interest as well as keep track of what we've suggested.

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric Rose | 1 comments Works 4 me

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary | 2 comments Hi Everyone,
Here are the results of the survery. We could remove 4,8, 9, and 15 from the list. New submissions could be added directly onto Goodreads.com if that seems reasonable. Then a week or so before the meeting I can send out a survey and we can vote for the next book and have get the title either online or at the meeting. Any thoughts?

1. The Declaration--2
2. A Thousand Splendid Suns--2
3. Divergent--2
4. Frankenstein--9
5. Quiet--3
6. The Last Kingdon--4
7. Baudolino--5
8. How to Win Friends and Influence People--0
9. Housekeeping--0
10.Gilead--1
11.The Year of Magical Thinking--1
12.Goldfinch--2
13.Claire of the Sea--3
14.The Trees--2
15.Call of the Wild--0

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary | 2 comments Hi Everyone,
I know it is a very busy time but I thought I would throw out suggested dates for the March book club meetings. They are Monday, March 24th at 5:00 pm CST and March 28th at noon CST. Please comment how these dates work. Any thoughts so far about Frankenstein?