Ruins Q&A with Dan Wells discussion

What is Dan working on now?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan Wells | 42 comments Mod
In another thread Tina asked what I have planned for the future, and that seemed like a big enough topic to break off into its own thread. I'm working on a ton of projects, so here they are:

Extreme Makeover: Apocalypse Edition
This is a cloning book I've been working on for years, and you may have heard me talking about it before. I'm delighted to say that it is done, and it is awesome, an my agent is currently shopping it around. I don't know when or where it will eventually be published, but somewhere. Like most of my projects, it's a huge departure from everything I've ever done before--a sprawling epic with a huge cast of characters, with equal parts corporate satire, science fiction mystery, and apocalyptic thriller. I literally CANNOT WAIT for you guys to read this.

Secret Project 1
I've teased this on Twitter and Facebook, and I'm still keeping it quiet, alas. I will say, though, that I put it right before the next item for a very specific reason.

More John Cleaver stuff
I've been promising it for years, and the time has finally come. I've started a new trilogy of John Cleaver books, following what happens to him after the events of I Don't Want to Kill You. I don't want too say much, but I'm really excited about it, and the working title is The Devil's Only Friend. What else can I tell you? Hmmm. How about this: I start all of the Cleaver books with an epigram from a poem, and the new trilogy will follow the same pattern. The epigram for The Devil's Only Friend is this:

"This, this the doom must be
Of all who've loved, and lived to see
The few bright things they thought would stay
Forever near them, die away."
--Alone in Crowd to Wander On, Thomas Moore

Mirador
I'm so excited about this series, I can't even tell you. This is my new YA series after Partials, also from HarperTeen/Balzer & Bray. It's a near-future thriller, set in a cyberpunk LA, about a teenage hacker named Marisa Carneseca who plays pro video games and gets involved in all kinds of dark and spooky mysteries. The first book is called Bluescreen, and pits Marisa against an underworld cartel selling a new digital drug that plugs directly into your brain. It will come out in Fall 2015, and it's going to be awesome.

Secret Project 2
Can't tell you anything about this one, except to say that it's also John Cleaver related, and that it might involve a screen, and the color of that screen might be silver. If all goes well, my gag order will be lifted and I'll be able to tell you LOTS more stuff as soon as next week.

Secret Project 3
I have to stay very tight-lipped about this one, at least until March, but here's a hint: if I were to use letters instead of numbers, this would be called Secret Project Q. That's a much better clue than you think it is :)

message 2: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (srstuckless) | 5 comments Secret Project Q?
Star Trek TNG fan fic? ;)

message 3: by Crini (last edited Feb 06, 2014 01:43PM) (new)

Crini OMG, a whole new trilogy about John \o/ such good news!I loved the first trilogy.
Can't wait to hear more about these secret projects

message 4: by Tina (new)

Tina Lewis | 9 comments Thanks so much for your response Dan. I'm very excited about your upcoming releases. Mirador and Extreme Makeover: Apocalypse Edition sound very interesting. I also need to visit your John Cleaver series. Lucky me I can read several in a row and not have to wait for a new one to come out. And your teasers border on cruelty! :-)

message 5: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Ackerley (foxywriter) | 3 comments I'm going to be really excited to see all of these come out.

message 6: by Kaci (new)

Kaci (kachill) | 5 comments I'm starting to see a pattern of "I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you" going on.

Okay, lame joke. Looking forward to them.

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) WOW, lots of goodies coming up!!

message 8: by Eliyanna (new)

Eliyanna Kaiser | 3 comments I love the variety of genre. All of this is exciting!

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Gross | 3 comments I'm really excited for Extreme Makeover: Apocalypse Edition, and beyond stoked to hear that there will be more goings-on in the John Cleaver series. Great news!

message 10: by Dan (new)

Dan Wells | 42 comments Mod
Alas, no TNG fanfic. Which is not to say I've never written any....

message 11: by buchtrunken (new)

buchtrunken I'm so looking forward to the new trilogy of John Cleaver. I really love this kind of stuff! Wahoo!

message 12: by Martha (new)

Martha | 1 comments Ruins is the best book yet!!

message 13: by May (new)

May (mayanoah) | 11 comments OMG, OMG, OMG! A cyberpunk series with a new strong heroine, and a cloning mystery/thriller novel..., I can't wait to read the books! Yay! :)