Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Movies, DVDs, and Theater > Movie lines which were not scripted...

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments See the ONLINE ARTICLE: "10 Classic Movie Lines That Were Completely Unscripted".
Here's the link:
http://www.ifc.com/fix/2014/01/10-uns...

EXAMPLE: "Midnight Cowboy" - "An actual NYC cab driver blundered onto the set, and Dustin Hoffman managed to respond with an in-character 'I’m walkin’ here!' "

See other unscripted lines at the page linked above. (For some of them you have to click to see the video clip.)

I'll be you can't resist seeing them all. :)

message 2: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments PS-Some of the material may be offensive.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6329 comments Those were great. I knew about some of them, but not all. I'm especially surprised by Kelly's line in "The Warriors". That certainly is the most memorable line.

message 4: by Nina (new)

Nina | 6069 comments I especially was interested in the Casablanca line that is so memorable.Robert AltmanL(Mash) was also famous for letting his actors speak their own minds during filming. For his movie, "Kansas City," Harry Belafonti wrote his own dialogue. That's why it sounded authetic.

message 5: by Arnie (last edited Feb 07, 2014 11:09AM) (new)

Arnie Harris | 185 comments Speaking of "Midnight Cowboy", there's a scene in which Joe Buck walks by Tiffany's and there's a man lying on the sidewalk and no passersby stop to see what's wrong--- establishing, of course, how cold and callous New Yorkers are---Director John Schlesinger attempted the scene several times without actors, and every time a group of people came over to check on the man---of course, that asn't the idea he was intent on conveying, so the shot in the film had to use "callous" actors. Reality vs. fiction, you might say.

message 6: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Arnie, that's an interesting anecdote. I'll never forget seeing the homeless people lying on the ground in a wide hallway in Grand Central Station years ago. The feeling was that there was nothing you could do to relieve the general situation. So you left it to the authorities to seek a solution. It wasn't a matter of callousness. It was a matter feeling powerless.