Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Mystery > Is the setting of your novel interesting enough for readers to seek it out and visit?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Read Lois Winston’g blog about where I set my mystery trilogy, Murder at the Jersey Shore. Would you vacation there?

Here is the link: http://www.anastasiapollack.blogspot....

Richard Brawer
www.silklegacy.com

message 2: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 916 comments My novels are set in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Judging by the amount of tourists I have to dodge as I'm pedaling around on my bicycle, the city must have plenty of attractions.

I've had a few requests for 'Katla Tours', guided tours through Amsterdam where locations that appear in the books would be pointed out to visitors.

And I have met several readers who came over and contacted me for lunch... :)

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Puttonen (mput) | 37 comments Is the setting of my novel interesting enough for readers to seek out and visit? If they could get past the hurdle of finding their way to a fantasy world, they might find it interesting. I would strongly advise they go well armed, however.

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 227 comments My new book is a translation, but it's set in the roof prison in the Doge's Palace in St Mark's Square, Venice. Which is a pretty popular tourist destination, last I heard...

message 5: by Arabella (new)

Arabella Thorne (arabella_thornejunocom) | 354 comments I would think any author would answer in the affirmative!

My novel is set in 1843 Alta California (before CA was a state) in Altadena about fifteen miles east of Los Angeles..
And the hero is an elf

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2163 comments Mine's set in a fictional bordering town within Mississippi and Alabama. So technically whatever state is on the line of both, worth visting? I haven't the slightest idea. Maybe they have a nice little diner that makes a killer apple pie, who knows lol.

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andyb0810) | 107 comments My novel is set in 3 different places: Texas, New York and Rio de Janeiro/Brazil. Popular destinations!

message 8: by R. (new)

R. (rholland) | 102 comments I think mine would be the opposite. It takes place on a cursed plantation in the south but has a Medieval setting to it. Once you're there, there's no turning back. So I think most would pass.
http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Minds-...

message 9: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2163 comments Andrea, I'm not sure how one could but those three destinations all in one book but you did it apparently! That's interesting.

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andyb0810) | 107 comments Justin wrote: "Andrea, I'm not sure how one could but those three destinations all in one book but you did it apparently! That's interesting."

Hi, Justin! Thanks. The story has actually 3 protagonists and each is from one of these places. They meet in NY though, but there are chapters where they are seen in their respective locations!

Massive Black Hole
Massive Black Hole by Andrea Barbosa

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andyb0810) | 107 comments Andrew wrote: "My new book is a translation, but it's set in the roof prison in the Doge's Palace in St Mark's Square, Venice. Which is a pretty popular tourist destination, last I heard..."

Nice place. Italy is always a great destination.

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andyb0810) | 107 comments Martyn V. wrote: "My novels are set in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Judging by the amount of tourists I have to dodge as I'm pedaling around on my bicycle, the city must have plenty of attractions.

I've had a few re..."

That's pretty cool. Good for you, getting to meet your readers!

message 13: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Pemrick | 55 comments People may want to go to my book's fantasy world, but since it's a recovering, war-torn world, I'd suggest they not go unarmed, even if they're just in the pristine wilderness that has recovered so well. You never know what you might find out there.

Even in the city the book mostly takes place in (has some similarities to San Francisco and New York City), it'd be wise to be on your toes. The tyrannical ruler isn't one you'd want to trust to keep you safe...or free.

message 14: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 916 comments Andrea wrote: "That's pretty cool. Good for you, getting to meet your readers!"

Yes, I enjoyed that tremendously. I love Amsterdam and I think that shines through in my fiction.

message 15: by Lance (new)

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 326 comments My latest, South , is set in the American Southwest twenty years from now. It's not an especially nice place, but readers have found it interesting.