Never Too Old For Y.A. & N.A. Books discussion

Thea Atkinson
This topic is about Thea Atkinson
Author Interview of the Month > Welcome Thea Atkinson!

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

The Cover Contessa (thecovercontessa) | 4025 comments Mod
Welcome Thea Atikison to the group for an interview today!
Phoenix (Theta Waves) by Thea Atkinson

Did you always know you wanted to be a writer or did you want to be something else?
It only occurred to me when my best friend decided to be a writer. At the time, I had no idea it 'was' something. I think that was grade 5. We both entered a writing contest put on by the school and our radio station and she won. I pretty much assumed after that I didn't have the talent and gave up for a long while...about six years, then started again because I enjoyed it.

How long does it take you to write a book from start to finish?
A full length, litfic novel takes me a year, but I'm getting faster, letting myself play more. Now it takes about 3 months before it's ready for the edit.

How do you come up with themes for your stories?
That suggests multiple themes, and that I have a choice. Grin. My theme is always around redemption of some sort.

Do you have a schedule of when you write?
Nope. Just 2000 words per day

How are you able to balance other aspects of your life with your writing?
Ba...laance? LOL. I guess I suck at that.

What elements do you think make a great story line?
The character has to be damaged in some way for me to be compelled forward. There has to be something he/she is striving to get through whether they know it or not. Best for me if most of the characters are damaged, and they 'save' each other. Past that, I love odd things. One day I'll write something with voodoo in it. That would be fun.

What was the hardest thing about writing a book?
The middle third. Seriously. it's a huge hump for me.

How many books have you written so far? Do you have a favorite?
Hmmm. About 11 full length. My favorite is Anomaly. I have a soft spot for the main character, J. I think that novel stretched my skills and my sense of empathy. I think it delivered what I'd hoped for it: for a character to find comfort in his own skin.

Do you have a favorite character?
Two, actually. J from Anomaly and Cai from my Witches of Etlantium series.

Where do you write?
Wherever I can.

When deciding on how to publish, what directed you to the route you took?
My agent could never truly find the right niche for my novels. She said they were always out of reach of a pure market. Self publishing allowed me to write what I wanted and worry less about shelf space

Have you gotten feedback from family about your book(s)? What do they think?
Yes. They are ecstatically proud of me. But I have an awesome family.

What kinds of things do you like to do outside of writing?
Photography, baking, graphic design.

What is your favorite book? favorite author? Do you have an author that inspired/inspires you to write?
Alice Munro. She is amazing. She catches nuances of character that just stun me.

Do you have any go to people when writing a book that help you with your story lines as well as editing, beta reading and such?
Sort of. My daughter can find my BS, my close friend reminds me not to get too dark, and my hubby pushes me towards the edge. A great combination for me.

Are you working on anything now?
YES! The 4th novella in a dystopian, post-apocalyptic series called Theta Waves. It's a little bit dark, a little bit steamy, and maybe a little bit sacrilegious. I'm having a ton of fun with it.

message 2: by Thea (new)

Thea Atkinson (theaatkinson) I'm thrilled and humbled to be interviewed! I do lurk a fair amount here, and I'm so pleased to have this opportunity to 'speak'

Have a great day, and TY, Cover Contessa.

The Cover Contessa (thecovercontessa) | 4025 comments Mod
Thea wrote: "I'm thrilled and humbled to be interviewed! I do lurk a fair amount here, and I'm so pleased to have this opportunity to 'speak'

Have a great day, and TY, Cover Contessa."

YAY!!!!!

message 4: by Dianne (new)

Dianne (dianne212) | 22 comments Awesome Interview! Thank you!

message 5: by Kme_17 (new)

Kme_17 | 12 comments Great Interview. Thanks

Never Too Old For Y.A. & N.A. Books

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Phoenix (other topics)