What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Fantasy Short Story (in a collection) about a straight princess who trades places with her gay brother to escape a marriage (and death) with a gay prince [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicakay88) | 3 comments I read this in 1998 or 1999. I don't remember any other short stories in the anthology. The main character is a princess (I think) who has to marry the crown prince. However, since he is gay, every girl sent to marry him is killed the day after her wedding because he refuses to consummate the marriage. A blood proof is required.
I think she ends up conspiring with the crown prince's brother. Then she has her gay brother dress as her, and marry the crown prince. The two princes supply a bloody cloth for the examiners. Since it is required that the wife must get pregnant before leaving their honeymoon chambers, the two lovers get to spend the rest of their lives enjoying each other's company in privacy. The princess becomes the second prince's favored general. And lover. When she eventually gets pregnant, she goes to a shine and behold! A miracle, the general becomes a woman. And she married the second prince, who becomes king.

message 2: by Jane (last edited Feb 06, 2014 12:29AM) (new)

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicakay88) | 3 comments Wow, that author must have read the same thing.

No vampires, traditional fantasy, sword and sorcery style. And 10 years earlier.

message 4: by Debbie (last edited Mar 01, 2014 12:35AM) (new)

Debbie (silentrequiem) | 87 comments Jessica wrote: "I read this in 1998 or 1999. I don't remember any other short stories in the anthology. The main character is a princess (I think) who has to marry the crown prince. However, since he is gay, every..."

Reminds me of a story in Warrior Princesses. "Twelve-Steppe Program" by Esther Friesner.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37831 comments Mod
Jessica, are you still looking for this?

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicakay88) | 3 comments Debbie was correct. It took me awhile to get my hands on that book, but it's a match.

Thank you, Debbie. :)