Q&A with Brian Lageose discussion

General Randomness > Repeat Readings

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian Lageose (brianlageose) | 11 comments Mod
Name a book that you have re-read many times over the years. Add a short blurb about why (if you feel inspired to do so) or not (if you don't want the NSA recording your interests and then stalking you at a book-signing event).

message 2: by Brian (new)

And I'll kick things off with this:

"The Witching Hour" - Anne Rice

This is Anne at the peak of her creativity. The story is so richly layered, and crammed with detail, that I find new things every time I read it. A fascinating story, a house with many secrets, and New Orleans. What more could you want?

message 3: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Boutros Brian, you look lonely here, which is strange because this sounds like a fun topic.

One book I've had occasion to re-read is Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities. I like that he brings his very particular style to France, and looks at how its underclass lives and feels, especially in such a deadly period of their history. And, of course, the nobility of Sydney Carton, who redeems a wasted life with the ultimate sacrifice, is still something that gives me chills. Some say it's a very un-Dickens-like book, but it is still one of his best.

message 4: by Brian (new)

Hi, Gabriel. Yes, it has been a bit lonely, but that's how it goes sometimes with these things.

As for Dickens, I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't read much of his work since my teen years. It's not that I have avoided his books, it's just the way things played out over time.

Slightly-amusing little anecdote: I read "Great Expectations" while riding on the back of my Dad's motorcycle during a lengthy, multi-state trip one summer. I would prop the book on his back, gripping it tightly to keep the wind from wreaking havoc on the pages. It was great being able to read a very interesting passage, and then reflect on the words as I enjoyed the scenery of Colorado and New Mexico and other states, all in the open air.

Sadly, the wind finally triumphed over the battered paperback, and I never got to read the end of the story because the binding suddenly split and the last chunk of the book went flying off to parts unknown. I'm sure some stranger behind us was gifted with a surprise present on their windshield. Oops...

message 5: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (apiphany) | 3 comments "Epiphany" by Paul McCusker. More of a novella really. I stumbled upon this book by accident one day in December, about 14 years ago. Rambling through a book store (which is so fun) it almost fell into my hands (Im not kidding, I think I ran into the table). When I turned the book over and read the following excerpt, I knew I had to buy it. The characters name had special meaning, it being the same as my sons father. "Richard Lee may be gone, but he's not yet departed. In this captivating Christmas novella, as the unseen observer of the family events that follow his own death, Richard watches his children return to their hometown to attend his funeral, settle the estate . . . and come to terms not only with their father's passing, but with the disappointing direction each of their lives has taken" I read this every year around the holidays. It sort of has an "It's a Wonderful Life" feel to it, but not exactly the same. And of course, epiphany is one of my most favorite words.