What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > British series set around a park or square

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 15 comments Years ago I read the first one or two of a series of books about several young people who lived across a sort of quadrangle or park from one another. It was set in England and written by a British woman. Somehow I lost the book I was reading, I think the second of the series, and never could recall the name of the books or the author although it has tugged on my memory ever since. I know this is not a lot of information. I believe there were 4 main characters, 2 male and 2 female and by now I don't even recall why I found it so compelling. But it has always bothered me and now perhaps someone can help.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
How long ago is "years ago?" What genre was it - literary fiction? Chick lit? Soap operaish drama? Comedy? Did the author seem well known, or obscure?

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Hillary, no idea what your series is. I moved your thread down to Unsolved since you will get more traffic there.

Adding to Lobstergirl's questions--was this a historical--and, if so, what era?

message 4: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollylovesbooks) | 761 comments Hillary, were these children's books, YA, or for adults?

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited Apr 14, 2015 04:48PM) (new)

Hillary, are you still looking for this book/series?

message 6: by CLM (new)

CLM | 302 comments I remember reading this series long ago: Soho Square

message 7: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 15 comments CLM wrote: "I remember reading this series long ago: Soho Square"

I never saw this until now. Thank you so much for solving my mystery! This is amazing. I am so grateful. I will read it at last.

message 8: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 15 comments Sadly this is NOT the book(s) I was looking for. The book I read did not involve actors and at the point that they all lived across the Square it was the first book of what I think was a four book story. Alas, I continue to wonder. Thank you nonetheless for your suggestion.

message 9: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 15 comments And yes it was historical as I recall. But not sure of the era. Post Henry James I would say based on the freedom of the characters, but not by that much.

message 10: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 15 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Hillary, are you still looking for this book/series?"

So not so solved after all and what I can add after being asked by a librarian is: Set in the past but not distant past as the characters had the freedom to come and go without supervision. The title of the first book was the name of the park or square or quadrangle. It was in a major city like London or Sydney and at least some of the main characters were fairly wealthy. The first name of the author May possibly be Eleanor but that may be specious. It was a very psychological series with some looks into the interiors of the main characters and their motives and in this way reminiscent of Henry James but not as heavy or endlessly descriptive.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Ok. Deleted "Soho Square."

message 12: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 15 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Ok. Deleted "Soho Square.""
Also, the characters live with their families, at least some grew up there, and there is a pair of siblings or old friends or possibly both but not everyone knew one another before the start of the book. While I recall a series of 4 books there may only really be only 2 or 3

message 13: by CLM (new)

CLM | 302 comments Oh, too bad! I feel like I should know this series.

message 14: by Martini (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 214 comments Here is a list with addresses and street names in book titles: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

message 15: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 15 comments What a brilliant idea! I am giving second thoughts to the Soho Square series. Wondering if it actually is the one I started.

message 16: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 15 comments But also think I should search for square, quadrangle, etc. Did you just do your search on google? If not, can you tell me how you did it?

message 17: by Martini (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 214 comments It's one of the Listopia lists here on Goodreads that users can create. There are thousands of lists for every topic you can imagine. The listopia main page is here: https://www.goodreads.com/list
You can also enter a search term in the search field; I did a search for "address".

message 18: by C. (new)

C. | 219 comments I hope someone is ale to recall such a series ,because I LOVE Brit-Lit and this sounds interesting !

message 19: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5006 comments How many years ago did you read this?
Anything about the cover?

message 20: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking now?

message 21: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Again....when did you read it or when was it published?

message 22: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Someone recently found their book which is also set on a British square/park but it doesn't sound like yours since it's not by a woman author and it's not a series: Sap Rising