Sword & Laser Kids discussion

Rump: The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin
This topic is about Rump
Rump > Intro to Rump

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by library_jim, Creator & Organizer (new) - rated it 4 stars

library_jim | 112 comments Mod
On my blog, I posted about Rump: The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin. http://www.teacherninja.blogspot.com/...
A monthly post to my blog and a link on the Sword & Laser discussion was the extent of my idea for S&L Kids. But Rob and others have suggested setting up this group to go into more discussion about SF/Fantasy for kids. For next month's pick I'll try my hand at a podcast and we'll try to build up the membership here to get a good discussion going. So the first podcast will have any input on Rump as well as the SF pick for next month.

message 2: by Beth, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 73 comments Mod
My seventh grader just finished this (my family has a lax approach to deadlines) and I've handed it off to the 9th grader. I think I can get an ebook so I can read it simultaneously. So far reactions was positive -- it's always a good sign when the kid laughs out loud at the first sentence.

message 3: by library_jim, Creator & Organizer (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth wrote: "My seventh grader just finished this (my family has a lax approach to deadlines) and I've handed it off to the 9th grader. I think I can get an ebook so I can read it simultaneously. So far reactio..."

Glad to hear it! It does have it's share of humor. I especially enjoyed the trolls.

Sarah | 3 comments I know it's March, but we are just a little over halfway finished with Rump. I'm reading it with my 8 and 6 year old girls. They are enjoying it a lot. Yesterday, they pulled out our Rumplestilskin book and read that together. Then we had a talk about how the stories were different and why that might be. They decided that they liked Rump's version better and the story must have gotten changed over time.

I liked the trolls too!

message 5: by library_jim, Creator & Organizer (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah wrote: "I know it's March, but we are just a little over halfway finished with Rump. I'm reading it with my 8 and 6 year old girls. They are enjoying it a lot. Yesterday, they pulled out our Rumplestils..."

Yes, it's a good candidate for a re-write because it really doesn't make a lick of sense and she does a good job at smoothing out some of those inconsistencies. I like that he has a power but it's a curse at the same time. I love magic that has limits and logic to it.

message 6: by Beth, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 73 comments Mod
We had our family book club, and decided we liked the book and that it was a good choice for a club meeting, even if it was a little young for us (12, 15, 45). We talked about the idea that names have power and whether this was real (even in the book) or became real if people thought it so. We all liked the humor.

We thought the ending was a bit muddled, and I raised a feminist complaint that they took one of the few active women in a fairy tale (I always liked the girl in Rumpelstiltskin -- she solves her own problems) and turned her into a mean idiot. I liked how Rump learned to make real choices instead of passively following the flow.

message 7: by library_jim, Creator & Organizer (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth wrote: "We had our family book club, and decided we liked the book and that it was a good choice for a club meeting, even if it was a little young for us (12, 15, 45). We talked about the idea that names h..."

Glad everyone enjoyed it. I agree the ending seemed to be trying a bit too hard, but then endings are hard. You're right that there was a mean idiot girl, but there were also very strong female characters (and there were idiot male characters). It seemed balanced to me, but there you go.

Ender's Game is definitely for the 12 and up crowd, so I hope you guys continue on for that one.