Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Why don't audiobooks and kindle editions show up on the GoodReads Database

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane Challenor (cynthiablue44) | 5 comments I'm disappointed that one of the benefits of Amazon owning GoodReads and Audible.com has not come to fruition. I'm disappointed that the GoodReads database does not hold all the Kindle books and audiobooks available. When I have time I add these additions to the GoodReads database but today I just felt very frustrated so I thought I'd ask WHY! Today I wanted to enter onto my Currently Reading List Ernest Hemingway's Moveable Feast. I'd just purchased it from Amazon.com but it did not appear in the GoodReads database. If Amazon own GoodReads why can't we have access their data?

message 2: by Plethora (last edited Feb 04, 2014 04:29PM) (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 359 comments Information is being imported, but a massive import creates problems. Goodreads has been testing samples of data so the information comes in as clean as possible before they start opening the flood gates.

The Goodreads database is completely different from the Amazon databases so it isn't a simple copy/paste.

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Feb 04, 2014 04:34PM) (new)

Sarah Munro (munrosarah) | 85 comments Hi Diane! I'm a developer here at Goodreads. We are currently working on just such a data import. We did our first big import of book data at the end of last year. It included quite a few Kindle Editions but did not, unfortunately, include any Audible Audio Editions. We will hopefully be importing those books sometime soon.

Additionally, as more people use the Goodreads on Kindle app (on the newest Paperwhites and Kindle Fires) to import their purchase history, our catalog will become more and more complete.

So hopefully our catalog will meet your needs soon!

ETA: Bookworm beat me to an answer ;-)

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane Challenor (cynthiablue44) | 5 comments Bookworm R wrote: "Information is being imported, but a massive import creates problems. Goodreads has been testing samples of data so the information comes in as clean as possible before they start opening the floo..."

Thank you for your quick response. Knowing that the database will be updated is great. I certainly don't mind waiting for it. I love the service GoodReads provides free of charge and am always grateful.

Best wishes

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane Challenor (cynthiablue44) | 5 comments Sarah wrote: "Hi Diane! I'm a developer here at Goodreads. We are currently working on just such a data import. We did our first big import of book data at the end of last year. It included quite a few Kindle Ed..."

Thank you for your quick response. Knowing that the database will be updated is great. I certainly don't mind waiting for it. I love the service GoodReads provides free of charge and am always grateful.

Best wishes