The Night Circus The Night Circus question

Divisive?

I think of all the things you could like in a book: the language, the imagery, the plot, the character development, the deeper meaning, it has the first two in abundance and is relatively lacking in the other two. Those readers who thrive on language and imagery love it whereas those who don't care much about those aspects have less to appreciate.

I loved every thing about this book. its the kind of book to read when you need a change

When I read the book for the first time, I had a really hard time getting into it and found myself wondering why there were chapters about this farm boy, anyway? But when I hit a certain spot (don't recall where) I couldn't stop reading. I'm finding it much more enjoyable the 2nd time around, actually. Many more little details come out at me and it's a lovely, enveloping experience.

My neighborhood read this book as community reading. There were several events related to it among which was an appearance by Erin Morgenstern. She is originally a theater person, which is the reason why the descriptions of the different tents and the oddball characters came out so strong. Night Circus is her debut novel. I am confident that Morgenstern's ability to develop plots and characters more in depth will grow.

I enjoyed the book immensely. I found it magical and whimsicle, which is exactly what I wanted when I decided to read it. The immagery and the plot were interesting to me and I cared about the characters. People I know who did not like this book often said that there were too many characters, not enought action and that the language was 'overly flowery'.

The plot did slow down at certain points and is very convoluted. I do not think that it is shallow in comparison to other books that I have read recently. I guess it depends on what you read and also how into this book you are able to get. The more 'into' this book you are, the less likely you might call it shallow?

i loved this book. i love it because when i read it,it was one of its kind. the narration and execution were amazing. whether it was characters or story or the imagery used, i felt the author had given her best.
the reason why this book is either hated is because it is confusing. but i think that is the highlight of the book. beauty is in the eye of the beholder, probably those who hate it never felt that magic. sometimes despite the authors efforts to transport the audience into her realm some do not get on board to experience the wonders.

It was clever and beautifully written. I guess I hoped it would be more passionate instead of shut off and distant, you know? Like someone who didn't care either way was telling you in a cold, matter-of-fact way what the characters were doing. If it had been more passionate and involved, I would have hailed it as one of my favorite books. But that's just my opinion.

I listened to an audio version and was immediately hooked by the voice and prose, it totally sucked me it. About 1/3 of the way through I got a bit anxious for something to happen. I listened to the whole thing but by the end I was just disappointed with the plot. The love story was thin, there was no ultimate battle despite these two being described as so powerful. All they did was build pretty illusions! So much lovely description of gowns and black and white things, yadda yadda yadda, but the plot just really left me cold.

I totally loved it. The way the story is woven so that you feel invested in all the characters even the minor ones you don't intend to care about but do. The attention to details in the description almost puts you at the circus. I like the way the choices each of the character makes/ have made are presented without judgment. And then it really comes down to the fact, a lot of people wanted to grow up and run away with the circus. This books allows you to do that without giving up your day job.

Frankly, I can't tell why it seems to be one of those books that you either love or don't care for.

Personally I found the prose to be delectable, even though the chosen style isn't usually my cup of tea.
And I don't really get why some people think it to be shallow, I felt it to be very rich and character driven, and overall swoon worthy romantic to boot. For me it's been a story that made me really care for its various characters.

Does this book count as magical realism? People I know who didn't like it, didn't like it because it existed in a different realm -- it could be real. I was disappointed because after I read it, I had recommended it widely. I thought the writing was beautiful.

F 25x33
Marietje There is a fine line between fantasy and magical realism. Personally I considered this book fantasy, because it is too unrealistic, because of all the ...more
Feb 10, 2014 07:21PM · flag

If you've got a penchant for magical Victorian period shenanigans and aren't afraid to admit it then this is the book for you. It's a tale that's easy on the brain, it has a really interesting plot and oodles of arresting imagery - so then, what else would you want? Critics be damned, it doesn't all have to be Nabokov is what I'm saying.