Struggling Writers discussion

17 views
Writer's Corner > Getting More Reviews

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ron (new)

Ron Albury I have been bouncing around different threads about improving the quality of independent authors. In many instances it turns out they are about how to bash independent authors who don't measure up to the poster's criteria for quality.

IMHO the best way to separate the wheat from the chaff is for books to get lots of reviews. Good reviews, bad reviews, in-between reviews - as long as there are lots of reviews.

I have used Goodreads Giveaway to try to get reviews, but only about 40% of the people who get the book take the time to review it. I don't necessarily believe that the other 60% don't like the book - frankly it appears that some people just sign up for every giveaway out there without regard to subject matter and then sell any books they don't want.

I am trying something new in hopes it helps me get more reviews. I'm curious what you think of this idea.

Every two weeks I am sending a PM to every new reviewer (good, bad, or otherwise) thanking them for taking the time to post a review, and offering a free book to any of their GR friends who commits to reading the book and posting a review when they are done.

I've just started this experiment and will keep you posted on how it goes.


message 2: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 601 comments Ron wrote: "I have been bouncing around different threads about improving the quality of independent authors. In many instances it turns out they are about how to bash independent authors who don't measure up..."

The experiment might get you flagged as a spammer.

There are also people who try to get unbiased reviews from Indie Reviewers who get steady replies of: "Sorry, I'm too busy to review your book at present."


message 3: by Ron (new)

Ron Albury R.F.G. wrote: "The experiment might get you flagged as a spammer...."

Good point. Hopefully a single email won't result in that. We'll see.

Thanks for your input.


message 4: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 601 comments Ron wrote: "R.F.G. wrote: "The experiment might get you flagged as a spammer...."

Good point. Hopefully a single email won't result in that. We'll see.

Thanks for your input."


A single probably won't, though multiples probably will.


message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Another way maybe is to get them to recommend to their friends on GR and even FB, especially if they like it - saying something like the author is willing to give for free in exchange for reviews. I'm loving Enemy Combatant btw.


back to top