YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Ocean at the End of the Lane
This topic is about The Ocean at the End of the Lane
BUDDY READ:Paranormal/Fantasy > The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman - Restarting April 1st 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tessa (last edited Feb 04, 2014 01:11PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments Description: "Sussex, England. A middle-aged man returns to his childhood home to attend a funeral. Although the house he lived in is long gone, he is drawn to the farm at the end of the road, where, when he was seven, he encountered a most remarkable girl, Lettie Hempstock, and her mother and grandmother. He hasn't thought of Lettie in decades, and yet as he sits by the pond (a pond that she'd claimed was an ocean) behind the ramshackle old farmhouse, the unremembered past comes flooding back. And it is a past too strange, too frightening, too dangerous to have happened to anyone, let alone a small boy.

Forty years earlier, a man committed suicide in a stolen car at this farm at the end of the road. Like a fuse on a firework, his death lit a touchpaper and resonated in unimaginable ways. The darkness was unleashed, something scary and thoroughly incomprehensible to a little boy. And Lettie—magical, comforting, wise beyond her years—promised to protect him, no matter what.

A groundbreaking work from a master, The Ocean at the End of the Lane is told with a rare understanding of all that makes us human, and shows the power of stories to reveal and shelter us from the darkness inside and out. It is a stirring, terrifying, and elegiac fable as delicate as a butterfly's wing and as menacing as a knife in the dark.

I'm reading this with Lindsey, but anyone is welcomed to join us :) .

Tessa | 1951 comments Read the first 6 chapters. At the beginning I thought this book will be a lot like the Ghibli movies: all fantasy and kids and magical realism. Then the worm thing in chapter 5 freaked me out and chapter 6 confirmed the fact that this story is going in a much darker direction. Basically because Ursula was the name of the witch in "The little mermaid" and she is totally hitting on his dad!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I too read the first 6 chapters. I very interesting book. I have never watched a Ghibli movie but I think it its full of fantasy and what a little kids mind sees.
(view spoiler)

Put it in spoiler just in case someone who has not read it wonders onto the thread.

Neil Gaiman is a great author.

message 4: by Tessa (last edited Feb 08, 2014 09:55AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments "I have never watched a Ghibli movie but I think it its full of fantasy and what a little kids mind sees. "
They're the type of movies you need to see as a child or with your child. Really entertaining and full of magic and dreams and kids. Really nice :). The cat returns, My neighbor Totoro, Howl's moving castle, to name a few :) .

Chapter 7 [ok, I know, too soon, but I really want to discuss this chapter since I'm horrified right now].
(view spoiler)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Give me a few minutes to read 7 and when I get back from getting morning coffee I will write what I think.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

So I read chapter 7 and 8 and (view spoiler)

Overall this is becoming a great book. I have to work on my online course work but I will get back to it the second I'm done.

message 7: by Tessa (last edited Feb 08, 2014 12:34PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments Yes, Lettie to the rescue! Chapter 8 was so nice! ^^
(view spoiler)

Don't worry, I'm also reading 1-2 chapters more than going to bed. When you said it was morning for you it was 7 p.m. for me :P .

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

(view spoiler)

It's 12:45PM for me. So daytime.

message 9: by Tessa (last edited Feb 08, 2014 02:10PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments I remember when I was a child. I always fought with my older brother for our parent's love. So when he got into trouble I was happy because in my stupid little mind I thought that when he was scolded he was not being loved. I'm not sure if all children are like that, but most do crave for positive attention. And even if you do nothing, if the other sibling was bad, you suddenly start to look more better in your parent's eyes XD. I just think that's the way she's thinking at her 6 or less years. Not that she doesn't like him, but she likes her parents more.

Chapter 9-10:
(view spoiler)

12 pm here and time to go to bed. You can read more than ch 10 since I'll be waking up before you :P . Can't wait to see what happens next! ^^

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with you in the like sister and big brother thing. I was the same. I just feel like both the dad and sister are under some spell. Or they have been changed.

I plan on picking it up when I'm done with school work, 75% done.

Tessa | 1951 comments No hurry, going to bed now. ^^

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Well goodnight!

Tessa | 1951 comments Ok, so I finished this one.
(view spoiler)

I'll wait for you to discuss a little more about it :) .

Christina | 4418 comments Borrowed this from library! Will start tomorrow and share my thoughts! :)

Tessa | 1951 comments Kinda late, but I'll try not to spoiler you XD.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I ended up just reading the book all night..until I was done.

I really liked it. I thought the writing was great and the characters were interesting. At times I wanted to know more about them.

(view spoiler)

Tessa | 1951 comments (view spoiler)

Also, about our other 2 reads, I was thinking to read "Why we broke up" next. And right now I'm reading a few rather long books so would you mind if we started our second book on the 15th? :)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

(view spoiler)

The 15th is great! It gives me time to finish a few books too. I have been wanting to read this for some time.

Tessa | 1951 comments Yes, like I said, sad :( . And because of that this story felt unfinished to me, but in the end that's also a good part, stories don't just end at an important conclusion in our life. Our story will go forever with us for as long as we live. So maybe that's the ocean and the pound is just the story other can see. Ok, now I'm starting to make no sense XD.

"The 15th is great! It gives me time to finish a few books too. I have been wanting to read this for some time.
Same here. I don't have this in audio format so I won't be as fast with it, but I'll do my best to keep up ^^.

Here is the topic for this: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Don't worry about being fast. we can go as slow as you want.

Tessa | 1951 comments YEY! XD

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

If you want we can read a set number of chapters per day.

message 23: by Tessa (last edited Feb 09, 2014 03:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments Unfortunately, the book is not split by chapters, but by images. I have this on my kindle so I could split it with 10%, 20% and so forth. Do you have the paperback version?

Christina | 4418 comments Oh you guys have finished! I started on the train this morning and was immediately captivated! I like Neil's writing style :) I will open your spoilers as I get to them!

I'm about 3 chapters in and so far (view spoiler)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Tessa let's move the conversation about our next book to that thread.

Christina | 4418 comments Chapter V: (view spoiler)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Christina wrote: "Chapter V: [spoilers removed]"

Just what and you will see.

Christina | 4418 comments @Lindsey
This is like watching a horror film!!!

Tessa | 1951 comments Yeah, chapter 7 (view spoiler)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

@Tessa that is a great way to describe it.

Christina | 4418 comments That film gave me nightmares!! If I remember correctly, there was this bath scene with a nekkid corpse... and then there were those bloody twins :S Anyway...

Up to Chapter X. I opened your spoilers.(view spoiler)

Tessa | 1951 comments @Christina (view spoiler)

Christina | 4418 comments @Tessa
That makes sense!

Christina | 4418 comments Finished:
Such an open ended conclusion... Sigh I don't take these well :(
(view spoiler)

Tessa | 1951 comments What going away party? O_o

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

(view spoiler)

Carly Svamvour (faganlady) | 15 comments I read this one recently and enjoyed it.

Never went through all that with a sibling. I accepted my brother - 6 years younger - as my brother. Didn't feel we were in competition for attention from our parents.

But then again, I don't remember looking for attention. I guess I did when very small, but I don't remember feeling that way for most of my childhood. I think I would have liked less attention, actually - my parents sat on me, like a beloved egg.

I did, however, experience sibling rivalry through my own children. My two daughters always had a feud going - it was exhausting.

Tessa | 1951 comments I accepted my brother - 6 years younger - as my brother. Didn't feel we were in competition for attention from our parents.
That's because you were the older sibling. You never needed to compete with anyone for your parent's love when you were little because you were sorta, the only one around XD. When you finally weren't you were old enough to know better. My guess :P . Siblings of the same gender and if closer in age compete even more.

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83339 comments Mod
***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Date Changed. Restarting March 21st 2015. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Berit | 918 comments I'm in on this one, ironically I have to read it for an April book group so I may as well read it a little early with you all!

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Berit wrote: "I'm in on this one, ironically I have to read it for an April book group so I may as well read it a little early with you all!"

Yay, the more the merrier! :)

message 42: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments I'm in for this one too! Just picked it up today. :)

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Have either of you read any Gaiman before? I've read Stardust and I really liked it, so I want to try out some more.

Berit | 918 comments No, this is my first, but I've heard a lot of good things.

message 45: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments No. This will be my first. I want to read Coraline. I tried Stardust (because I love the movie), but couldn't get into it. That was years ago though.

message 46: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 2561 comments I've started this one early. I'm on chapter four (view spoiler)

message 47: by Amy (last edited Mar 18, 2015 09:02AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 2561 comments Chapter six (view spoiler)

message 48: by Amy (last edited Mar 18, 2015 09:02AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 2561 comments End of chapter seven (view spoiler)

message 49: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 2561 comments End of chapter nine (view spoiler)

message 50: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 2561 comments Just finished (view spoiler)

« previous 1