The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Summer Task Help

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) I need help finding a couple of things.

First, can someone help me find different authors that were born on January 11th, so far I can not find that many. I hate limited supplies of books.

Also for right now I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I could find books with more than 955 pages.

Thanks!

message 2: by Manday (new)

Manday | 212 comments Born Jan 11th (according to Wikipedia)
Thomas Dixon (the one who wrote The Leopards Spot)
Oswald de Andrade
Jim Hightower
Jasper Fforde

As for Books over 1000 pages, I struggle to find a good list, but some ones I thought of -

War and Peace
Les Miserables
The Stand (Stephen King)
Gone with the Wind
Mists of Avalon
Infinite Jest

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily The Count of Monte Cristo is over 1000 pages!

Petra: all work & no play makes you poor.On hiatus (petra-x) 1.Anna Karenina by Tolstoy, a beautiful love story, but much deeper and containing a load of (IMHO) unnecessary philosophising about peasants that you can skip over. 1,080 pages.

2. James Clavell's Shogun (about 1,250 pages long which is a bargain for $8.99 paperback).

3. Tolkien's All-in-one Lord of the Rings, about 1,250 pages of fantasy if you like that kind of thing.

4. Vickram Seth's A Suitable Boy. About 1,250 pages. A mother looks for a suitable boy for her daughter to marry. Set in India just after independence and highly recommended.

5. Victor Hugo's huge 1300+ Les Misérables. Big hit musical for years in the UK, so there should be some nice music to go with it.

message 5: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments Some 100+ :

I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb
Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George
The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George

message 6: by El (new)

El Alan Paton also shared your birthday - Cry, the Beloved Country.

message 7: by Petra (new)

Petra Here's Wikipedia's page for January 11th:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_11

I noticed an Irish Author (Brian Moore) and there may be others.

For the 900+ page book task, I had a look at the books in my TBR list. Goodreads almost always states the number of pages in a book. I found that Lonesome Dove had over 900 pages.

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyreece) I would highly recommend I Know This Much Is True. In fact I may reread it for the 900 challenge!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments More books over 1000 pages:

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke
Bleak House - Charles Dickens
Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand