Editors and Writers discussion

Software for writers

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lin (new)

Lin | 75 comments Mod
Have you tried out Scrivener yet? I thought I'd write a review of it, as it's proved so popular in our writing group this year.
http://www.coinlea.co.uk/writing-tool...

message 2: by Sudhir (new)

Sudhir Joglekar (josuchi) | 11 comments Visited your page just now. Quite interesting software. Thanks Lin for the informative piece...

message 3: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Feiertag | 115 comments Lin,

Great review. I have a friend who uses Scrivener for her novels and loves it, but do you think it would equally well for a non-fiction work? And is it worth the $45?

Ruth

message 4: by Lin (new)

Lin | 75 comments Mod
Yes and yes. I'm using it for a nonfiction project and find it very useful for organising research and different sections, and I find it suits my way of working very well. It was offered at discount to nanowrimo winners, but I paid full price and have been very happy with it.

message 5: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Feiertag | 115 comments Thanks, Lin. I've always thought of it as a fiction-writing tool; maybe it will help inspire me to get back to my book. May I ask about what you're writing?

Ruth

message 6: by Lin (new)

Lin | 75 comments Mod
It's a research project based on our local workhouse. I'm looking into some of the people who ended up there, and what happened to them before and afterwards, and what life in the workhouse was like. I'm really enjoying the research aspect of it, especially going into the local archive centre and looking at the original documents.
I'm not sure whether it will ever reach publishable state, or whether it will be of enough general interest to actually publish, but I'm having fun anyway :)

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Morgan (mjbookeditor) | 56 comments I use Scrivener as well for my own writing. :) Love it! Great job, Lin.

message 8: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Feiertag | 115 comments Lin,

I would certainly be VERY interested in reading whatever you write on the workhouse. I imagine that some of what you're discovering is heart-breaking. I'll bet the stories of people's lives are amazing. If you don't publish your findings traditionally, I hope you'll blog or make the work available some other way.

Ruth