Goodreads Ireland discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Inactive Discussions > How Great Declan Is

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments So we are in the middle of a little riot at my English Cozy Mystery Book Club. Our moderator is very very very different from Declan. He always nominates and lobbies for book selections. Now it turns out he doesn't email everybody about nominations and the polls.
He opened March's nomination thread and didn't notify hardly anyone. So one of our long time active member was bemoaning so few books had been nominated. Then everybody responded what nomination thread? It turns out he has been selectively notifying people. It's a big to do.
I just want to thank you, Declan, for being a great moderator. I was wondering if you could wander over to the other one and give Jean-Luc some advise on what to do. Please.

message 2: by Allan (new)

Allan Oh dear, Susan, that's a shame about your other Goodreads group, but I suppose it's a blessing in a way in that it allows you to highlight the talents of our own moderator! :) I hope it all gets sorted for you!

message 3: by I-like-to-read (new)

I-like-to-read (akakate) @ Susan - your other mod sounds like a control freak. That's really sneaky what he has done. Can you elect another mod?

Yeah go Declan :-)

Kate

message 4: by Brian (new)

Brian O'Sullivan | 280 comments Having someone act in such a way goes against the term 'moderator' I would have thought. Yes, we're lucky to have Declan.

message 5: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Dunn (httpwwwjsdunnbookscom) | 335 comments Ditto. Also he hasn't buried or handicapped this group with rules and subrules and exceptions, waivers, and extensions to rules.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, guys, for the lovely comments. Every now and then you all make me blush like a loon, but it's all quite nice once I get over the initial embarrassment.

message 7: by Serf (new)

Serf I agree with everyone's comments. Declan takes great care of this little group and makes everyone feel welcome in discussions.
How is the riot going Susan?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope the little insurrection goes well and that Jean-Luc (I really hope that that's his real name) gets overthrown.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

@Jamielynn. Raphael didn't put manners on the Borg... But on the other hand he was a Ninja Turtle.

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I had a revelation the other day. It was related to the difference between Facebook and forums like Goodreads. I DON"T do Facebook. FB is primarily for keeping in touch with people you know. I AM in touch with the people I know that I want to be in touch with and FB only would be an open invitation to hearing from those people I know that I DON'T want in my life.

Goodreads, and another social forum I am on Ravelry which is for knitters, connects me primarily to NEW friends, and allows me to meet new people. I have made a number of friends on GR Ireland, and hope to meet a couple of them in person soon. Related to the other group, I had 2 Boston Red Sox fans, and knitters, and the son of one, stay at my house after a baseball game here- I only knew them online. When I went to Dublin, I met another friend from the knitters forum, who kept a suitcase for me when I went to Shetland, as flights there have very limited luggage allowances. On Shetland, I had already "met" some of the knitters online and we shared a hired car, toured around and had a blast. I really enjoy these opportunities to connect with people I wouldn't know otherwise.

So thanks to Declan's great moderation, this has become a group for connecting with new friends. Thanks Declan!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I've made so many friends that looking after the group is always a joy. And I look forward to meeting more of you in person, soon.

@J.S. Er... Thanks?

message 13: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Dunn (httpwwwjsdunnbookscom) | 335 comments Thought that would incite an antireligion rant --- but it's really quite a stirring rendition of that piece !
;)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

It might because I've had more than a couple of those rants lately, J.S. There's only so much time I can devote to raving like a lunatic. :)

It is quite a lovely version, I have to say.

message 15: by Serf (new)

Serf Lovely song but it does make me giggle as a dedication

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Totally agree with Seraphina. Beautiful rendition but we still want Declan to act somewhat normal.

message 17: by Serf (new)

Serf Just like Jesus lol ;)

message 18: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments Declan, you are terrific--I agree with everyone here. How does it feel to be so warmly admired....or worshipped ;) ?

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Greetings, minions! It's only fitting that I should return to find the same level of adoration to which I have become accustomed.

That is all! (He waves his had dismissively.)

message 20: by S. (new)

S. Sigerson (whoshotcollins) | 65 comments Declan rocks!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

The swaying motion helps me sleep. :)

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments What does that mean? He waves his had? I knew you were human.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Hand*

Damn it! Sorry about the misunderstanding, Susan. :( It won't happen again.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

My family call me an ape!

message 25: by Janebbooks (last edited Feb 12, 2014 01:40PM) (new)

Janebbooks Barbara wrote: "I had a revelation the other day. It was related to the difference between Facebook and forums like Goodreads. I DON"T do Facebook. FB is primarily for keeping in touch with people you know. I AM i..."
What's the saying? Make new friends, but keep the old. These are silver...those are gold! And I friend only relatives and people who share the same interests as I do on FACEBOOK. Last month...I got a message..."Hey, Jane...I knew you in Aiken, SC... Well, Emily was a neighbor whom I hadn't seen in 40 years...she's written two interesting novels about interesting South Carolina women... and is a crusader for certain causes as I am.
Without Facebook...we may never have met again!

Jane

P. S. I do both Facebook and Good Reads, moderate a small group here and love my Good Reads IRELAND!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Had to quit Facebook, Jane. I took up far too much time and was often infuriating. Goodreads is a completely different animal. I love this website, I really have to say.

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Of course you do, Declan. Where else can you have so many people praise you to the skies?

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

You're right, Susan. GR has definitely been good fro my ego. :)

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Jamielynn. (Blush!)

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura | 258 comments All the way from Washington State, I would have to confirm my appreciation for Declan and the group. I am always telling friends how great the group is but I haven't had any takers. I think they think we spend our time trying to discern Joyce, arguing politics, or contemplating Leprechauns. Not giving mine up!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, to be fair to friends, Laura, we have done all of those things at some stage. :/

Maybe they'll give us a try soon and realise that we have much more to offer.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey, it won't surprise you to know I won't be sharing my lunch with him... ;)

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Porridge/Oatmeal???

He won't be having the full Irish breakfast, for sure.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll give him the end of my boot!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.