Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Series Read-a-long

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
So I just wrote up a list of the series we've started as a group, in case someone wants to nominate the second, third etc book in a series. But I was wondering how many people would be up for series read-a-longs as a group - these would be as well as the Books of the Month, as we may never get round to finishing all those series, and this could be one way to finish some.

We could set a goal e.g. four book series, we already read the first book, read the next three in the next six months or something.

Or have it as a month long read-a-long per book, like with the Books of the Month.

Thoughts?

message 2: by Sinead (new)

Sinead | 49 comments I'd be up for that as I personally hate not finishing a series - especially one I like. Count me in.

message 3: by Andreas (last edited Feb 04, 2014 01:56AM) (new)

Andreas | 106 comments Depends on the series or trilogy etc.: I found that it is difficult for me to keep the pace and as soon as I'm behind the others, I don't carry on with the series anymore.
That is different with series that I really love, but those are hard to find. Once again: it depends.

One book every other month should be ok though.

As another restriction I think that the series should be finished.

message 4: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Kirsty Cabot (kirstycabot) | 1897 comments Mod
I like this idea - I can't say that I would always be able to participate, but if I was interested in the series then yeah deffo :)

message 5: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

I was just thinking it could be a casual thing - if someone wants to finish a series and read along with others, then they're welcome to suggest it and us mods can promote it around the group =D And then whoever sets up the read-a-long could decide on time limit etc, but we could also have some 'official' group ones too.

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 439 comments I have just had an idea, why not make the next nomination a trilogy? Either for fantasy or SF. That way you can cover three books for three months?

message 7: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Hmm, I'd want to do that as well as though, because I don't want people to have to read the same series for 3 months in a row, if they choose to read the first that is. It's tricky!

message 8: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1832 comments Mod
I like this idea, but what with the challenges and the options of sci-fi and fantasy, I know I would want to read all the things and that is not compatible with work and study.

I was going to suggest we only really nominate the first of series for BotMs and then in subsequent months nominate the next in the series if we want to? Don't know what everyone's thoughts are on it? :)

message 9: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Well that is still an option, but I just wondered if people were impatient to read more of a series =P

message 10: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Hehe I certainly am and I do think it's a brilliant way of reading stuff - perhaps I just need to stop trying to read all the things :P

or maybe particularly for long series we could make it the year of Robert Jordan or something? that's a big series and could always be the challenge for next year or something? Or shorter challenges taking different numbers of months :)

(on phone- sorry for any typos)

message 11: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Hehe I certainly am and I do think it's a brilliant way of reading stuff - perhaps I just need to stop trying to read all the things :P

or maybe particularly for long series we could make it the year of Robert Jordan or something? that's a big series and could always be the challenge for next year or something? Or shorter challenges taking different numbers of months :)

(on phone- sorry for any typos)

message 12: by John (new)

John (johnred) I like this idea, although I agree with Andreas that is would have to be a series I'm really interested in... I'd be into Dune for sure. At least the six that Frank wrote :)

I would also be really interested in Gene Wolfe's Solar Cycle (12 books, I think, between New Sun, Long Sun, and Short Sun).

Hyperion I would probably do as well.

message 13: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (last edited Feb 04, 2014 01:22PM) (new)

Nic Margett (enn_eye_cee) | 353 comments Mod
If we read a book i've enjoyed then I usually try and carry on with the series. I couldn't help myself but read the next book of a few of the BOTM's and i'm currently knee deep in the Dune books (maybe pausing a little while I get into Mistborn!)

We could have a vote, I know we love a vote! Maybe allow write-in answers instead of nominations? leave the poll open for a while too, i'd say.

message 14: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

A vote! Yes! Democracy!

I'll sort a poll out tomorrow, unless anyone else wants to make one =P Right now all I want to do is climb into bed and read Mistborn, through this crazy wind and rain outside. Perfect reading weather!

message 15: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 439 comments There are 60mph gusts down here! Stay safe

message 16: by Antonis (new)

Antonis (antonakis) | 62 comments I also support the idea of finishing a series once we start it but at the same time I understand that maybe not everybody might want to read it. I think we should try to do this especially for books that form a complete plot-cyle throughout the series and are not stand-alone-ish. Good examples of the former are BotM books Hyperion and Mistborn.

message 17: by Adam (new)

Adam (amilesb) | 35 comments I definitely like the idea of continuing on a series but perhaps place it in a different folder so instead of trying to read it in a given month people could just post to it whenever they finished book 2, 3 etc. as I typically read book 1 read some other stuff go back to book 2 and so on.

message 18: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 2022 comments Mod
Was this something we were going to do? We should start with Words of Radiance :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.