The Next Best Book Club discussion

Book Related Banter > What's a wise thing to say when someone asks why do you read so much?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Reema (new)

Reema (greenbeatbox) | 1 comments I'm literally the only one in High School who reads books, other people are only interested in getting drunk, high, doing drugs, alcohol, going to parties...etc.
And then there's me. I carry a book everywhere. I read in class, At lunch, before I sleep, early in the morning, all the time. And the dumbasses ask me why do I read, what would be a wise thing to tell them?

message 2: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) Because not everyone enjoys the same things and you enjoy doing something useful and productive. You like learning and taking in a part of something rather then waste time drinking and being a total hooligan. :)

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan | 1 comments Why do you ask?

message 4: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10089 comments Mod
Reema, you had this thread placed in the folder where we discuss our monthly group reads. I have placed it in the proper folder.

Please be careful of thread placement in the future. Thanks!

And to respond to your question, answer this... why DO you read?

message 5: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) I still have a report card from the fourth grade in which my teacher wrote that I read too much. I think she actually meant to say that I read in class when I should have been paying attention to the teacher.

message 6: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Q: Why do you read so much?

A: Because I like to.

message 7: by N (new)

N | 104 comments at primary school I used to finish my work and sneak off to the library when my teachers turned their back. I read because it's as important as breathing to me, I'd literally rather read than so anything else.

message 8: by Vardan (new)

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 30 comments It's a question that will be more and more frequent as we move forward into the dumbed down future that we are unfortunately experiencing. The answer to the question, if there is an answer at all and not just a raised eyebrow, would be, I don't read nearly enough ))

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 616 comments my answer - why do you care so much?

I spent a good portion of my childhood reading, getting told to go outside and play because it was too nice to be inside reading (which is when I would grab a book and go and sit out in the sun and read)

message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert Davis (robert_davis) | 2977 comments Because I can.

message 11: by S.K. (new)

S.K. Newton (sknewton) | 3 comments My mom asks me this a lot. I've always said, "Don't you get bored of living in this one world, all the time?"

message 12: by Heather L (last edited Feb 06, 2014 07:48AM) (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) I always carried a book with me, and still do. So many possible answers to your question ...

* Because I can.

* Because I want to.

* The question isn't why do I read, but why don't you?

* Because I have a brain and I like using it.

* Or you can borrow from Mark Twain: "The only thing worse than the person who cannot read, is the person who can and does not."

message 13: by Marybeth (new)

Marybeth (narutofan14) I carry a book with me every where I go. People in my school always ask me why I read so much and I tell them because I can and I want to. My life does not revolve around drama or anything really

message 14: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) I'd get asked the opposite, why don't you reader enough?

message 15: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Benshana | 2 comments Don't bother me I'm reading.

*s*