Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

Amish Group Reads > February's Book-The Memory Jar by Tricia Goyer

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lorie (last edited Feb 03, 2014 02:01PM) (new)

Lorie | 1324 comments Mod
Come read with us this month, we are reading The Memory Jar by Tricia Goyer.

The Memory Jar (Seven Brides for Seven Bachelors, #1) by Tricia Goyer The Memory Jar

Every year, 30--40 young Amish men descend on the cozy little town of West Kootenai, Montana, arriving in the spring to live there for six months and receive 'resident' status for the hunting season in the fall. They arrive as bachelors, but go home with brides. Sarah Shelter has lived in West Kootenai for the last ten years and wonders if she will ever fall in love and be married. Since the tragic death of her best friend, she carries her memories in a jar along with the small items connected to them. For just as long, she's also been carrying around her emotions instead of allowing them to penetrate deep into her heart. Now she's met a kind and gentle man who may be able to break down the wall. But can Sarah risk her heart to finally achieve her dreams?

*Make sure to put spoiler in the post if you are giving something away.

message 2: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 340 comments Mod
I had hoped to read this with everyone, but it looks like I won't get it from the library in time. We have to borrow an ebook version of it, and I'm 9th on the list... =/

message 3: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette Norton | 6 comments sounds like 1 I would enjoy

message 4: by Tina (new)

Tina Watson | 222 comments I loved this book back when I read it.

message 5: by Tina (new)

Tina Watson | 222 comments I wrote in my review for The Memory Jar "'We need the reminder that everyone has their own opinions, their own dreams, their own way of doing things, and that is okay.'" This is what I learned from reading it.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Tina wrote: "I wrote in my review for The Memory Jar "'We need the reminder that everyone has their own opinions, their own dreams, their own way of doing things, and that is okay.'" This is wh..."

That's a great reminder, Tina.

Did this book inspire anyone to make their own memory jars?

message 7: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 1078 comments I loved this book. It's a nice read. I read it pretty quickly, but I still sympathized with the main character. I cannot imagine losing one of my best friends permanently like Sarah did would affect me. Has anybody else lost someone close to you, and did you have the same reaction as the narrator? If so, was it as prolonged as Sarah's? What finally helped you move on?

message 8: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 1078 comments @Rosebud: I am not that craft. I suppose I could do it if I set aside time and felt like doing art.

message 9: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (asimplyenchantedlife) | 26 comments I read this book last year. I enjoy Tricia Goyer but I really didn't enjoy this particular book :(

message 10: by Tina (new)

Tina Watson | 222 comments More importantly is why the memory jar is or jars are so important to Sarah and the rule it plays through out the book.

message 11: by Tina (new)

Tina Watson | 222 comments yes, I have experienced loss of loved ones that meant lot to me; followed by the difficulty of trying to move forward. There is still one loss that I care with me even after 10 yrs -I just miss this person very much.

It's know that my deceased loved ones are in a better place, they are know longer suffering here on earth, and that one day I will see them again. And just maybe one of them if not all of them are my guardian angel(s).

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Memory Jar (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tricia Goyer (other topics)