CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2014 Weekly Threads > Week 6: What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Welcome to February and week 6!

I am starting in on book twelve this week after finishing The Divergent trilogy over the weekend. I don't have anything new to add to that discussion; I feel about the same as nearly everyone who has read the series: the first book is strong, the second book is meh and third book is a big wtf?! I've wasted time on worse, though, so I'll leave it at that.

After that, I picked up Alissa Nutting's Tampa, which I came across on a "Most Shocking Books" list. Seeing as American Psycho is one of my all-time favorite books, I thought I'd give it a try. It was a very quick read; I finished it in a day, and the author did a superb job of capturing a disturbing character. The subject matter is touchy: a young eighth-grade teacher seduces some of her male students, but I thought the novel was pretty well done. I can't put Nutting up there with Bret Easton Ellis, but she did an admirable job.

This week I'm starting Scott Sigler's science fiction thriller Infected. The final installment of the trilogy was just released so I'm going to go back and reread the first two before finally getting into the third. I'm pretty excited because I recall his novels being fast-paced and explosive.

What are you reading this week?

message 2: by Jennifer McGee (new)

Jennifer McGee I just finished Still Alice and Divergent over the weekend. And now I'm reading The Lemon Orchard.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie | 130 comments I finished listening to The Lemon Meringue Pie Murder over the weekend, and I'm nearly done listening to Neverwhere.

I started reading A Dance With Dragons, but I'm certain it will take me a while to finish. I'll be looking to pick out some new audio books though.

I may start listening to some of the books I picked up on the latest humble bundle. It is usually video games or something, but the most recent humble bundle is for audio books. If any of you are interested: https://www.humblebundle.com/
You pay what you want for the books, and if you pay more than the average then you get some bonus books.

message 4: by Traci (new)

Traci (tardis1974) I finished Ready Player One last night, and it was pretty good. I found it to be quite different from anything I've read in the past, and I enjoyed all the 80's references.

I haven't decided what to pick up next. Maybe the next Stephanie Plum (Lean Mean Thirteen).

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnajdoak) | 27 comments Finished Canary which had really one dimensional characters but kind of (?) redeemed itself at the end. I've started the latest John Irving (love him) novel, In One Person, and started Amanda Ripley's The Smartest Kids In the World.

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Julie wrote: "I may start listening to some of the books I picked up on the latest humble bundle. It is usually video games or something, but the most recent humble bundle is for audio books. If any of you are interested: https://www.humblebundle.com/
You pay what you want for the books, and if you pay more than the average then you get some bonus books."

I've never heard of this before! That is very cool. Thanks for sharing!

message 7: by Pattie (new)

Pattie Babbitt Traci wrote: "I finished Ready Player One last night, and it was pretty good. I found it to be quite different from anything I've read in the past, and I enjoyed all the 80's references.

I haven't decided what..."

I loved that book! Not my usual genre, but I was so glad I picked it up. I hear the audiobook of it is fantastic...read by Will Wheaton who is referenced in the book!!

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie Walton (libraryladykatie) | 16 comments I loved Ready Player One!! Great book!

I just finished Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library. It is supposed to be like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but with books and boardgames instead of candy; librarians instead of Oompa Loompas. I liked them almost equally, Charlie gets nostalgia bonus points.

Now I'm reading Sweet Venom.

message 9: by Angela (new)

Angela Malerman (angelamal) | 41 comments So, I went to the library and dropped off last weeks books and I picked up, Shadows by Robin McKinley, Vitro by Jessica Khoury, Unhinged by A. G. Howard, The Outside by laura Bickle, Starters by Lissa Price, Broken Heart by Amelia Kahaney and XIsle by Steve Augarde. (A little light reading for the week)

Yes, I am that crazy person you see walk in, walk to a section and just pick up books! I gladly take suggestions and will read virtually anything. Though I also have to finish a book no matter what. Anyone else that way? You just hope that the end will redeem a bad book?

Oh well, I think I will start with Shadows.

message 10: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Hurst (bookrdr) | 279 comments I just finished Allegient & I did like it. My eyes are killing me from crying so much though. Tomorrow I will decide what to dive into next.

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie | 130 comments Since three of you said you liked Ready Player One, I'll have to add that to my list, especially if the audio book is narrated by Wil Wheaton.

I finished Neverwhere last night. Great book! I can't believe I hadn't read it before now.

message 12: by Jennifer McGee (new)

Jennifer McGee I really enjoyed Ready Player One too! I read Necessary Lie yesterday and I really enjoyed it. I'm still working on The Lemon Orchard.

message 13: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 733 comments Mod
I picked up the YA novel "Fangirl" by Rainbow Rowell. I thought it would be an appropriate read for me because I have spent the last month reading fanfiction and neglecting my 52 books. So far, so good. Though I do object to the fact that all fangirls are shy, introverts; I know plenty who are not. Still, a nice storyline with fun characters.

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Penn (jenniferpenn) | 41 comments Finished "A Cup of Friendship" now into Songs of Deliverance

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Penn (jenniferpenn) | 41 comments Angela I do that often to...just walk in and scan cover art and pick up a bunch of random books lol. Found some really good ones that way.