The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

General Chat > Do you use "sub genre" to help pick out a thriller?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charles (new)

Charles Vrooman (greenpower) | 121 comments My first published book, Green Power, gave away its category with this title. Sure enough it’s a book about the environment. But the title alone might make potential readers think it’s a nonfiction book. Also, since I didn’t give it a subtitle to indicate it was a fiction novel, there’s no way of knowing this or which genre it belongs. Therefore, it had to be tagged as an environmental thriller in any promotional write-ups. Now when someone is looking for an environmental thriller, they would find my book. As a matter of fact, when I do a Google search for environmental thrillers, Green Power, is one of the main novels listed. So for discussion purposes, do you hunt for books by searching for genre? Also, how specific are you for entering a sub genre name for a search (e.g. medical thriller, eco thriller or techno thriller)?

message 2: by Roberto (new)

Roberto Perrini | 22 comments Psycho-thriller

message 3: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (danielleleneedavis) | 41 comments What are the titles or authors of some psycho-thrillers?

message 4: by Charles (new)

Charles Vrooman (greenpower) | 121 comments My newest thriller novel, “The True Virus”, would be considered a biotech thriller. It deals with bioterrorist hacking into the CIA’s main computer and planting a program to use the new DNA component of the system to produce a real live virus.
This time when I set it up for Amazon, I used the subtitle, “Thriller Novel”, so that potential readers would know that it is a thriller. Again, I used tags, like biotech to narrow down their search.

message 5: by Roberto (new)

Roberto Perrini | 22 comments Danielle wrote: "What are the titles or authors of some psycho-thrillers?"

all books by Sebastian Fitzek, Wulf Dorn, Sophie Hannah (of which, however, I have not read anything yet)

message 6: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 557 comments If I understood the question: I will often read a mystery w paranormal aspects like ghosts, psychics, or magic. This is a paranormal mystery. I like mysteries w a famous person real I.e. louisa may alcott or not Jo. This is historical fic.