SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

The Drowning Girl
This topic is about The Drowning Girl
February Discussions > The Drowning Girl, by Caitlín R. Kiernan - Feb 2014

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm looking forward to this book but I haven't started it yet. It really looks interesting and maybe a bit out of the ordinary .... So tell me, what do you think?

message 2: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben Rowe (benwickens) This is one of my favorite books that I have come across in recent years. It is not a typical fantasy book, its not set in a secondary world and whilst there is certainly a plot that drives the narration its not action oriented.

The first aspect of the book that struck me was the compelling voice of the narrator. It hooked me right in and made me want to buy the book (after reading a sample) and get deeper and deeper into the book.

message 3: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben Rowe (benwickens) I know a few of our members have already read the book and posted some short reviews but hopefully the discussion will pick up as people start sharing their thoughts, feelings and ideas about this book.

There are a few interesting links that people might appreciate in connection with this book:-

greygirlbeast.livejournal.com/ is Caitlin's blog and if you look at it you will get some sense for some of the semi autobiographical elements of the book

http://writerandcritic.podbean.com/20... has the book being discussed on the Writer and Critic Podcast

http://www.nightmare-magazine.com/non... is an excellent interview with Caitlin that is well worth reading, even if it focuses more on her new Blood Oranges series.

http://www.jonathanstrahan.com.au/wp/... is a podcast in which Caitlin chats to Peter Straub, Jonathan Strahan and Gary Wolfe about the book among other things.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 05, 2014 10:31AM) (new)

I think I need to start over with this book. I'm under a lot of pressure at work, I started reading it in snatches over lunch the other day and a little more in bed and I'm not connecting.

It feels like this one is cerebral enough I need to sit down for a couple hours and take a nice leisurely read through the start of the book ....

message 5: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben Rowe (benwickens) I think it would be better till you have the time and energy to sit down with it and get immersed in the character and the world of the story. Once you are there then I would think in 50 or so pages you will know whether or not it is your cup of tea. I do think it is better read in fairly decent chunks rather than a page here and there, partly to get into the world of the character and partly because they are an unreliable narrator

message 6: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben Rowe (benwickens) surprised more people are not joining in this discussion, its such a great, enjoyable book. I appreciate though that it is not to everyone's taste but life would be dull if everything was vanilla.