What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Raymond and Lily and the purple grass

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Elgar | 3 comments I m looking to find a book written in the 19 th century by an author known as T M Ellis. It's main characters are lovers named Raymond and Lily and their eternal search for the purple grass.

I only know of one reference to this book which is in Flowers in the Attic by V C Andrews.

I would love to find out the name of this book or any further info.

Many thanks
X

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Lorraine, do you know if it is a real that they referenced in "Flowers in the Attic?"

Could the book have been made up specifically for Andrews's book?

message 3: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Elgar | 3 comments This is what we are trying to find out as there are a lot of specific references to other novels in the book - we wondered if this was an obscure Victorian book? Or if anyone had heard of T M Ellis?

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38279 comments Mod
My strong suspicion would be that it's a made-up reference. I've never heard of T.M. Ellis, not that that proves anything of course.

Here's an interesting blog post about the book and that reference:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs...

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

The only T.M. Ellis I see on Worldcat is a 20th century scientist writing about emu oil.

message 6: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Elgar | 3 comments Thank you lobstergirl :) I tend to agree with you - but worth a shot x

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lorraine, do you want to keep this thread open/active?

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily Wickham | 1 comments Hi Lorraine, There was an author and poet called Thomas Mullett Ellis Born 1850-1919 I know of a couple of books he wrote 'The Beauty of Boscastle' and 'Zalma' he wrote others and also helped found the halfpenny newspaper the Evening News. He apparently also wrote children's stories as well. One book he wrote 'God is Love' apparently caused some uproar due to the title. His books had T M Ellis on his books as the author. You can get both of the above books on ibooks store and I The beauty of Boscastle is on amazon too. Hope this helps with your search.

message 9: by Kris (last edited Jun 12, 2017 07:19AM) (new)

Kris | 34460 comments Mod
Author T. Mullett Ellis mentioned by Emily

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Lorraine, do you want to keep this thread open/active?"

No response in 4 years. Moving to Abandoned.

message 11: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Feb 27, 2019 06:31AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1874 comments There's a theory is that it's The Beauty of Boscastle: A Melodramatic and Psychological Story by T. Mullett Ellis but no one has found a copy of the book to confirm.

It's not Tales of the Klondyke, The Romance of A Star, or Zalma (copies here).