What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Tapestry of Fortunes
This topic is about Tapestry of Fortunes
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Fiction that takes place in later 20th century; A man takes the protagonist to a park in or near a city in the United States. The park has an iron gate/archway type entrance. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (last edited Feb 02, 2014 02:09PM) (new)

Sandra | 277 comments I'm so sorry to state that I remember so little about this book.

What I do recall is this: I believe the protagonist is a female (I tend to read a lot of fiction about women). In the scene I recall, it is the late 1960s or early 1970s. A man takes the protagonist to a park in or near a city in the United States. The park has an iron gate/archway type entrance. The park is very very small and I believe it is near the woods and has a lot of wildflowers. I'm pretty sure the park was named for a woman with three names (and one of those names may have been Katherine or Lucy).

I think the protagonist mentions later that the park no longer exists. I think she goes back there years later.

I was so intrigued by this lovely garden that I googled the woman's name. I think she may have been a naturalist or an activist of some sort. She WAS a real person, and this WAS a real park. However, the park really is no longer there--in the sense that it WAS there 40 years ago. I think it got sort of plowed down and incorporated into a bigger park, or is part of a bigger park named for a man (I think).

I'm sorry to be so vague. If I had kept up with my bookshelf here, I would know what book it was.

Thank you!

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
When did you read this? Was it new then, or was it older? Was it literary fiction, romance, chick-lit?

message 3: by Sandra (last edited Feb 03, 2014 09:23AM) (new)

Sandra | 277 comments Hi, Thanks for replying!
I'd say it was literary fiction. I read it in the past year (sometime in 2013).

I'm wondering if it could be in "Tapestry of Fortunes" by Elizabeth Berg, or "Beginner's Goodbye" by Anne Tyler.

EDIT: omg, I found it! It is "Tapestry of Fortunes"! The park is Lucy Wilder Morris Park!

See this link for more info: http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker...

How do I move this to "solved"? Or does a moderator do it?

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Sandra--congrats on finding your book. And it's amazing how many times the putting down of the info gets the old brain cells firing and the title does pop out.

And don't worry about moving this, I've taken care of it for you.