Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (Inheritance, #1)
This topic is about The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms
Inheritance Trilogy > The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms--Planning to Read/First Impressions (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (last edited Feb 02, 2014 09:40AM) (new)

Maggie K | 1202 comments Mod
Welcome to the start of our new trilogy-The Inheritance Trilogy

Please place first Impressions in this thread....

Also-we still need a moderator for this series-please message me if you're interested!

DavidO (drgnangl) | 50 comments I've started it. About 10% done. Really enjoying it. Happily I'm not sure what to expect yet.

Bill I am a little over halfway through. Definitely a bit different from what I have been reading lately but enjoying so far.

message 4: by Lannister (new)

Lannister (lannisteruk) I ordered it and my copy has arrived, so I hope to start sometime soon.

Eric Zawadzki | 46 comments I'm about 1/6th of the way through. I'm really enjoying the world-building. The narrative voice is really quite excellent. Nice to see a black female as a protagonist in the genre.

message 6: by DavidO (last edited Feb 03, 2014 07:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

DavidO (drgnangl) | 50 comments Eric wrote: "I'm about 1/6th of the way through. I'm really enjoying the world-building. The narrative voice is really quite excellent. Nice to see a black female as a protagonist in the genre."

I do appreciate that she's not a blonde with blue eyed or a fiery red head with green eyes.

Eric Zawadzki | 46 comments DavidO wrote: "I do appreciate that she's not a blonde with blue eyed or a fiery red head with green eyes."

No kidding. I get tired of eyes like oceans and skin like cream. We've had those tired lines for so long that *Shakespeare* lampooned them. Why are we still using them again? Better question: Why are we still using them in a genre that prides itself on allowing anything that can be imagined by the author?

Andreas I don't care for hair and skin color.
I've been reading it plus its sequel a year ago and liked it very much. I plan to jump in reading the third book together with you.

message 9: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments I read this three years ago for a different book group. I won't be re-reading it at this time.

Helen I'll be reading it in about a week, finishing one I'm on and then a quick read for my actual group that I meet. I'm looking forward to it.

message 11: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda | 38 comments I'll be starting it next week after I finish what I'm currently in the middle of.

Suzanne | 212 comments I read this one about a year ago. I probably won't re-read it, but I'll join in on the rest of the series.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) I will start this tonight.

Pluto | 1 comments I'm around chapter 11. I'm not sure if I'll be finishing it. It feels a bit to much like a romance novel, and romance makes me cringe like some people do at horror movies.

message 15: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Tullis (nathantullis) | 2 comments I'm about to start this tonight. I hope it doesn't turn too much towards romance. I have no problems with romance being a part of the story, if its done well I love it, but that's not what I am looking for right now. I still look forward to it, people keep saying it's different, and that is what I'm looking for.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) almost 20% done. It is okay so far....

DavidO (drgnangl) | 50 comments I'm about 60% in, and the romance is very light so far. I have to admit not understanding those parts at all, because I find them more repulsive than anything. Definitely not erotic.

message 18: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric Zawadzki | 46 comments I'm at around the same point as David O. To be honest, the Chronicles of Pyrdain and the Wheel of Time had more love story per page than this. This is a bit more "physical" than "emotional," but it's far from erotica or romance. The Sharing Knife, now, that was romance - creepy, vanilla, fantasy romance.

Helen Started this earlier, about 30% in. I'm enjoying it so far.

Allison (rainy-day-reads) I'm at 42%, and not sure what I think so far. The writing style is quite different and it's hard to feel close to the characters.