Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets discussion

Why didn't Harry take a rooster into the Chamber of Secrets?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daisy (last edited Feb 02, 2014 05:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daisy So, in Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets Harry finds a piece of paper in Hermione's hand; ripped out of a library book. The text on the paper clearly states that the best weapon against a basilisk is a rooster (the crowing of the rooster is fatal to it).

I know Hagrid's roosters were killed, but it would have been good for Harry to at least address the fact that it would have been useful to have a rooster. And Harry and Ron could have looked for ways to find a new rooster, like conjuring one by magic, for instance. But instead Harry, Ron and Lockheart just walk into the Chamber with no plan or weapon whatsoever; wasn't that a bit stupid???

Thanks

message 2: by Sophie (last edited Feb 03, 2014 02:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sophie Well, how old were they in chamber; 12/13. Ok, they really should have thought it through a bit better but you can't blame them after they find out Ginny's in danger

message 3: by AgCl (last edited Feb 02, 2014 05:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

AgCl Sophie wrote: "Well, how old were they in chamber; 12/13. Ok, they really should have thought it through a bit better but you can't blame them after they find out Ginny's in danny"

i agree, and they weren't that advance to have conjured a rooster. Well they weren't much better in magic, years and years later even, besides it was nothing new. They rushed to save the philosopher's stone in their first year without a concrete plan on how they'd defeat "Snape".

Daisy Yeah, I guess. It does make you think how much of a miracle it was how many times he survived in life-threatening situations when he doesn't really plan ahead!

Harshi Had they waited till they got hold of a rooster Voldemort would have taken over the school.

Daisy You are right, but I still think it would have been good for Harry to simply think something like: "If only we had a rooster with us, that would help us save Ginny"

Anna Good idea. But magic can't create something out of nothing, and both Harry and Ron always had trouble in Transfiguration. So, they were kind of stuck.

Danny The reason they rush in the first place, is because they think, "Oh no, Ginny's in danger," but the message sort of gives the prompt that Ginny's already dead. "Her body will lie in the chamber forever".

Daisy Yeah, that does sound like Harry and Ron, Erika! If only Hermione had been with them, she could have used a hover charm with the rocks too. Like Ron said; "What would we do without you"!

message 10: by Ruby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruby I think that it would have made things too easy (thinking about Rowling's thought-process). Also, it might be not the greatest idea to take a rooster into a cavern with a basilisk- it could be distracting or die or be a nuisance. Also, they might have not had enough time, seeing as Ginny had been taken down that day...

Jamies  (The Kansan Reader) If he had taken down a rooster then there wouldn't have been a need for Fawkes and the gryffindor sword. Harry would still doubt the hat's choice in putting him in Gryffindor and not Slytherin.

message 12: by Will (new) - rated it 5 stars

Will Ginny had killed all the roosters at Hogwarts while under the influence of Riddle, and it was their 2nd year so even Hermione wasn't up to conjuring or transfiguring on that level yet. The dead roosters was one of the clues Hermione used to puzzle out the Basilisk

Alida Arabelle There were no roosters in the school..so how is that even possible. They were kids and thought lock heart was enough to help..

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

a) they were fresh out of roosters.
b) they were little kids.
c) they were counting on lockhart
d) they panicked and didn't think things through. refer to b

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited May 24, 2015 07:52PM) (new)

Goodness, you're right! If only narrative logic had allowed for the convenience of a rooster. That would have made things... well... convenient!

message 16: by Ruud (new)

Ruud Müller In fact, if you watch the movie closely, you see that the actors stop after "spiders flee before it" while the sentence goes on with .. "and the crowing ... " it is absolutely unnatural to stop reading halfway a sentence CERTAINLY because the word "and" is on the same line of tekst. No friends ... the makers skipped the rest of the sentence on purpose otherwise the killing of the basilisk would be to easy and uninteresting.

message 17: by Gary (last edited Jan 07, 2018 07:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary Daisy wrote: "And Harry and Ron could have looked for ways to find a new rooster, like conjuring one by magic, for instance. But instead Harry, Ron and Lockheart just walk into the Chamber with no plan or weapon whatsoever; wasn't that a bit stupid???"

Short answer: Yes, that was a bit stupid.

Longer answer: Yes, and you're right to point it out. There's two major ways of looking at it. Either Rawling knew that and did it on purpose in order to portray the intellectual and/or emotional development of her protagonists, so as readers we're supposed to be a bit exasperated at their youth and thinking, or she threw in some obscure, real world mythological detail in order to give the mystery verisimilitude to our knowledge of legend and dropped the ball a little bit in her presentation. Maybe a little bit of both? I'm inclined to think more the former than the latter. She did kill off the local roosters to resolve that particular issue, but it's pretty debatable how hard it'd be to roust up a rooster or ten if one really wanted.

Personally, I live in the suburbs, but there are a couple places off the top of my head where I could go to at least try to find a rooster within driving distance of my house. It'd probably not be that much more difficult if I lived at a boarding school in a kind of magical shadow dimension, and had a broom to whiz around on.

On the other hand, I'm also not a 12-13-year-old, and facing a giant death serpent with a sword when I could just bring a chicken (one that I had, say, magically controlled so that it would do it's thing on command) is probably not how I'd go about that kind of thing.

As folks have pointed out, there are plot/story reasons why Rawlings would tell the story as she did. Having it end on a cockle-doodle-doo isn't the most satisfying conclusion. I would only add that in a broader sense, as we go through the stories it becomes clear that Harry has certain "trust issues" as it were. He tries not to rely on others, and tends to take things head on. In part, that's because he can't necessarily rely on adults or other students. Some of them aren't who they appear to be. Some lie, some are even disguised as other people. That combined with his own background means Harry trusts very few people. He's often keeps secrets and doesn't necessarily take the wisest, safest, or most reasonable path. That happens a lot in these books. I'm confident that was part of Rawling's intention, and it's meant to fit into her ideas on heroism, bravery and isolation among other things.

message 18: by Mae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mae Hall Do you honestly think that they would take the time to find a rooster when GINNY WAS DYING?

message 19: by C.A. (new)

C.A. I never thought of this, that's actually a pretty good point. It would've made things a whole lot easier...

message 20: by S (new) - rated it 5 stars

S Michaels Riddle moves around Ginny's body as the thick slithering sounds of a Basilisk echo around the chamber.

"Let's match the power of famous Harry Potter, against the heir of Salazar Slytherin!"

Harry stumbles backwards looking at the dingy floor to avoid the approaching snakes deadly eye's.

"Theres one thing you've forgotten Riddle!" said Harry as the flicker shadow of the beast emerges, the thick coils of its body approaching Riddle. "Basilisks have a fatal enemy..."

Just then Harry pulls out the dangling body of a squirming rooster.

"NOOOOOOO!"

"COCKLEDOOODLE DOOO BITCH!"

The rooster gives out a loud screech and the Basilisk lets out a pitiable hiss, thrashing its great head. With an almighty crash it falls to the ground dead.

"How?" screams Riddle enraged. "I killed all the roosters -- where did you --"

"I asked Professor Dumbledore to make me one before I came down here."

"Oh shit.."

"Yeah.. So, can I have my wand back? I actually told all the teachers to give me five minutes to myself before they come rescue us... Dumbledore will be down here soon.."

"Damn - Yeah, I didn't think you would tell the teachers."

"Why not?"

"I dont know," Riddle hands the wand over and puts a foot back in his journal, preparing to return. "Like -- I mean kinda a pussy thing to do but whatever. Later Potter, see you in the fourth book."

"What?"

Riddle hops back into his book.

The End.

Faith:) All of the roosters were killed by Ginny being controlled by Voldemort.

message 22: by R.S. (new) - added it

R.S. Merritt They had a good bit on their minds...

quq Yeah they could have said accio rooster and some random rooster would come flying halfway around the world

message 24: by C.A. (new)

C.A. I always think about that too^ the Accio spell was so underused in the series and could've been so helpful at times!

quq Ikr!!!!