Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone discussion


546 views
Rowling: Harry should have married Hermione

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

AgCl what the?! and that's supposed to make me feel better?
its too late...too late...(sniff*) like how she's killed the Marauders and Snivellus, Hedwig, Dobby, Fred, Mad-eye...etc...

oh...oh yeah...i agree btw XD


Jazz Singh predictable?


Angelo Gideon Disagree. And what will happen to Ron?

Besides, the ending'll be predictable and common.


Borislava Ivova She said in a previous interview that Hermione should have ended up with Fred. This woman just can't keep her mind! :D As for the future of Ron and Hermione together- i'm pretty sure that this is exactly what happened. xD


Brian Ostrowski Agree. Too predictable. Although I wasn't crazy about Harry and Ginny, either.


Jazz Singh yeah. that was a let down. and really there was no need for that epilogue. just ruined the whole series


Christina O. If she had put Harry and Hermione together it would have ruined everything! She had been building up in the books to Harry/Ginny and Hermione/Ron for a very long time. I am happy with the books just how they are and I don't really care if the author wanted two characters to suddenly end up, she would have to go back and rewrite the whole series and, truthfully, I don't think it would be as good. I don't want this to effect me but... it does certainly annoy me. I love reading interviews with authors and getting insights into their work and writing process but I just now saw how it could go wrong. There are some things that I just don't want to hear.
I know I'm ranting/whining, but this is my favorite series EVER and I view it as sort of literary perfection, so.... yeah.


message 9: by Judeanne (last edited Feb 02, 2014 10:24AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judeanne JK is certainly wrong about Harry and Hermione. Comments made about needing to rewrite the series to make this happen are correct. More specifically, she'd have to recreate the character of Harry. JK set this path the moment she made Harry an orphan and tied his childhood to his horrible aunt and uncle. If his first ten years hadn't been so brutal and lonely, it could work but, as they are, Hermione wouldn't be enough for Harry. His psyche is set and his path to finding the family he was denied started when he met Ron.
This is likely why Hermione is set up as an only child, and so is Luna, and why Cho is left so heartbroken over Cedric. Only Ginny possesses the loving and abundant family that someone with Harry's early life would crave and seek.
JK can say what she wants but they entire concept would fail if not for Harry eventually becoming a Weasley.


Pamela I thought it was perfect the way it was written. The relationships were built up over the course of the story and done well and it wasn't so cliche. It is strange to me that JkR is admitting that it was a mistake now. Maybe there was too much pressure from the Hermione/Harry camp. She was trying to pacify? I have to laugh about the marriage counseling comment. Just because these are fictional characters and we are sending them to counseling. ;P Anyway my thought on this is that I know many couples you have gone through counseling and have been the stronger for it....


Nichola St. Anthony Ron and Hermione belong together but I've never been crazy about Harry and Ginny. No chemistry.


Lizzie I always knew Hermione would end up with Ron. They have Chemistry. I prefer Harry to be with Luna Lovegood instead of Ginny. Ginny was hardly existant until Half Blood Prince. I only feel Harry loved Ginny because she looks like his mother Lilly. But that's my opinion.


Annika It should have been Harry + Hermione
Ron + Luna
Neville + Ginny!


message 14: by Kellie (last edited Feb 02, 2014 05:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kellie Mild That fact that she said that in an interview really bothers me. In order for Hermione and Harry to be together she would have had to rewrite the whole story. Relationships between a whole bunch of characters would be vastly different if Harry and Hermione got married in the end. Like a comment previously, Ginny provided the family, the love, the patience, and a long past with Harry. For Harry to end up with Hermione or anyone else would have made the book series a whole lot different. Plus, Harry was always like a brother to Hermione even though the movies protrayed it a little differently. Ron and Hermione always argued, but that's what made them stronger as a couple. They enlightened each other. While Hermione was a little more disciplined, Ron was calming and lighthearted. Their differences together made them strong as a couple. Their constant fighting may have landed them in counseling, but that might have made them stronger as well. My friend says that he didn't think Ron or Harry should've ended up with her. He thought that the both of them would hold her back. I didn't think Ron would hold her back as much as Harry would. Ron may have held her back a little bit because he didn't want to have his nose stuck in a book as much and she did, but I think in the end after raising children and being through hell and back together they were meant to be together. I honestly don't know why JKR would say something like that, but heck she has said before she thought about killing Ron before and having her marry Fred. Also the article is a preview for the rest of the article coming out Friday. It could be just a sarcastic part of the interview. Who knows, I'll just have to wait until the rest of the article comes out Friday.


message 15: by Ann (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ann I would love to see a companion book to HP where adult Ron & Hermione go to couples therapy. Sort of like the movie Revolutionary Road, only it's better because it takes place in the HP world. Hermione could be frustrated about their marital problems and tell Ron "You can't just magic it all away, Ron!"
HP for adults :D


message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Annika wrote: "It should have been Harry + Hermione
Ron + Luna
Neville + Ginny!"


Dude, those were my freaking ships while reading the fifth book. Seriously. Or, rather, siriusly.


message 17: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul I think the comment was intended to renew interest in the Harry Potter books. It’s been 17 years since the first book and almost 7 years since the last book. The Harry Potter books were the ‘it’ series of the previous generation young adults. The ‘it’ books now are the Hunger Games or Divergent series. I think the comment was intended to renew interest in the HP books. I don’t think it was about making more money but about solidifying the HP books as the most successful YA books.


message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Maritza wrote: "Jazz wrote: "yeah. that was a let down. and really there was no need for that epilogue. just ruined the whole series"

I wouldn't say the epilogue ruined the /whole/ series, but I do agree that it ..."


Fair point.

Though, chances are, people would've doubtlessly complained if there wasn't an epilogue, necessity be damned.


Sparrowlicious I don't care. The final version had Ron/Hermine and Harry/Ginny so ... whatever. Draft versions don't count.


Sabreen Paul wrote: "I think the comment was intended to renew interest in the Harry Potter books. It’s been 17 years since the first book and almost 7 years since the last book. The Harry Potter books were the ‘it’ se..."

I did a double take when I saw "17 years", because that means the first book came out *ahem* less than a year after I was born. Wow. Just...wow. That means I literally grew up with the series. Paul, I'm going to have to disagree-- this generation's teenagers are also the Harry Potter generation. We remember waiting in line for those books;we participated in the shipping wars; we went to those midnight movie premieres. Harry Potter might not be the "it" franchise anymore, but it's fanbase hasn't dried up yet.

As for the romance...Harry/Ginny and Harry/Hermione both make sense, but Ginny complements him a bit more. And Harry's always wanted a large family full of wizards. Marrying Ginny fulfills that emptiness that his own parents' death left behind.

Why does it matter so much? In real life, there's no such thing as soul mates. Lots of unexpected combinations work out. And lots of combinations that don't seem right turn out fine in the end. I really don't see why people fight over this.


Naura Disagree!
It's better off the way it is :D


message 22: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Disagree. Harry and Hermione were more like brother and sister. There wasn't any romance between them (not even repressed or unrequited romance). The movies (among other things) made their relationship seem different than it really was. Sometimes the love of a friend can be misconstrued by outsiders to be romantic love when it really isn't.


BookGirl I think she's probably stating this because of the movies, no? Watching the films, Harry and Hermione had chemistry more so than she did with Ron, but that's more so because of the actors.

I don't know, reading the books, Hermione and Ron were made for each other, as were Harry and Ginny.

She needs to stop with these interviews, she's coming off a bit crazy.


Sauliha Jadoon Annika wrote: "It should have been Harry + Hermione
Ron + Luna
Neville + Ginny!"

So true


Leahxx Uh no. Sorry. No. Ron and Hermione are great.


message 26: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin Lilac wrote: "Paul wrote: "I think the comment was intended to renew interest in the Harry Potter books. It’s been 17 years since the first book and almost 7 years since the last book. The Harry Potter books wer..."

You said it! There is no one perfect person for anybody but many possible partners. A marriage, or any relationship, depends on what you make of it!


Sweta I have seen and loved these books as the celebration of friendship, how much friends mean to you and how much they do for you, care for you. I had imagined Harry and Hermione as a couple while reading the earlier books in the series. But not showing them as a couple and Hermione sticking out with Harry till the end as a friend gave so much beauty to the relationship and the story as a whole.


message 28: by Bekah (last edited Feb 03, 2014 04:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bekah Sweta wrote: "I have seen and loved these books as the celebration of friendship, how much friends mean to you and how much they do for you, care for you. I had imagined Harry and Hermione as a couple while read..."

agreed! i loved that they showed how you could have a male and female characters be really close friends, and still be totally platonic. having them end up together would have totally ruined that.

and for god's sake, if she didn't want hermione to end up with ron, then put her with VIKTOR KRUM, the only man who really did love and care about her, besides ron.


message 29: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Bekah wrote: "agreed! i loved that they showed how you could have a male and female characters be really close friends, and still be totally platonic. having them end up together would have totally ruined that."

I like that, Bekah. Well said! :)


Bekah Eliza wrote: "I like that, Bekah. Well said! :)"

thanks! i just felt like harry and hermione's relationship was really important, you know? because so often in the media, the girl, whether she be the hero, the main character, the one that cracks the case, etc, is always paired off with every guy she meets. it's like there's no room for male/female relationships without seeing them have even the slightest romantic pursuit.

i mean, i'm a fan of the hunger games, don't get me wrong, but the love triangle? was it really necessary? couldn't katniss and gale have been good friends rather than suddenly giving him the role of the jealous, bitter, sort-of-ex boyfriend? i don't know. just my thoughts.


Deirdre Nichola wrote: "Ron and Hermione belong together but I've never been crazy about Harry and Ginny. No chemistry."

Thank you!


message 32: by Rasik (last edited Feb 03, 2014 05:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rasik I think we have seen Ron and Hermione work really well in the series. It is therefore a bit tough for us to imagine them not be together. But if we distance ourselves from that a little bit and think how she would have gone ahead with the romantic plot in the series with Harry and Hermione, with her calibre, we might have been fighting how Ron and Hermione would have been a mistake.
My point is, it's a theory which JKR wanted to explore and something that would've made a better story in her opinion. I love Ron and Hermione but I agree that it would have made sense.
Even with no changes till the fifth book, if it were to be Hermione's shoulders instead of Ginny's after the tower sequence, it would've made for a much darker hallows. Sure, it'd have sucked for Ron but just from a reader's perspective, it'd have made a more interesting story to see how Ron would've fought that.


message 33: by Deirdre (last edited Feb 03, 2014 06:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deirdre Honestly, I think Harry Potter should have really ended up alone, or perhaps married some other auror that he met after leaving Hogwarts.

Harry Potter definitely shouldn't have ended up with Hermione, for so many reasons. First of which, where would Ron be as a character if he had? Ron lived in Harry's shadow forever (as well as in the shadow of his brothers), and that's something that makes him and Hermione's love even more authentic. She could have had Harry Potter, who was just as much her best friend, but instead she fell in love with Ron. It's lovely. It would have been far too prosaic to put "the brightest witch of her age" with The Chosen One. C'mon.

I definitely dislike his realationship with Ginny, it was too forced. He never felt smitten for her the way he did with Cho. (I really don't like Cho either, I'm just comparing the chemistry.) I think the reason Rowling made this ship happen was because a marriage to Ginny would have officially made him Ron's brother. (But whatever, Harry would have been part of the Weasley family no matter who he had married.) Another reason could be that Harry would have probably felt indifferent to a romantic relationship with somebody who had not known him pre-Voldemort. Both are legit.

However, my opinion is if Rowling had really wanted to force him into a Hogwarts-made relationship, she should have put Harry with Luna, not Ginny.

Luna Lovegood + Harry Potter, pls.


message 34: by Bekah (last edited Feb 03, 2014 06:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bekah Deirdre wrote: "Honestly, I think Harry Potter should have really ended up alone, or perhaps married some other auror that he met after leaving Hogwarts.

Harry Potter definitely shouldn't have ended up with Hermi..."


ahh friend, here is where you are wrong. ginny and harry's relationship was not forced at all. they were playful and respectful of each other, just because they weren't outright making out every few minutes or had tons of pent up sexual frustration or whatever, doesn't make them any less authentic than ron and hermione.

ginny and harry were important because ginny could keep him grounded. she could snap him out of things, she could push him when he needed to be pushed and comfort him when he needed to be comforted. harry needed someone like ginny, who was fiery and wouldn't take people's shit, because otherwise, he would have given up, i think.

she wasn't afraid to tell him when he was being a shithead or self-centered, like a lot of people who thought they'd only be adding to the horrible things happening to him. she kept him going, and that's important. i love luna, but she is not as strong, would not have given him the kick to the crotch like he needed sometimes, ya feel?


Soumil Ron and Hermione are perfect for each other. However, Ginny and Harry make a terrible couple. I wish JK had chosed someone else


Nicoleta Fedorca I disagree! I like the couples as they are. :)


Sarah-Hope The HP books are such marvels because the characters are real to us. We long to know them better and have all sorts of "what ifs?" I have so many variations on the stories in my own head and heart--I like knowing that JKR has similar feelings. I can really respect the way she's continued to live with and gotten to know her characters since the books were published. They're not static for me. I like that they're not static for her either.


Sarah-Hope And on a completely unrelated note, in my version of the story, Charlie is gay and ends up in solid relationship with another equally enthusiastic dragon-wrangler.


message 39: by Bekah (last edited Feb 03, 2014 10:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bekah Sarah-Hope wrote: "And on a completely unrelated note, in my version of the story, Charlie is gay and ends up in solid relationship with another equally enthusiastic dragon-wrangler."

hahaha love this

@nancy hey thanks!


message 40: by Robin (last edited Feb 03, 2014 11:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Robin These are just me own thinks, but....

Ron and Hermione were the brother and sister Harry never had. Harry marrying Ginny brought him officially into the family that he adored and yearned to belong to; Hermione marrying Ron also made her a part of it. In the end, not only were they friends, but a true family--something Harry desperately needed.

The foundation of the series is the trio's friendship. Harry and Hermione's platonic friendship bucked the tired cliche of the leading man "getting the girl." To everyone except Harry and Hermione, Ron was considered Harry's sidekick; making him the odd man out in the trio would have truly diminished him to second banana status, and would have made the bond between the three of them weaker.

Over the last few days, I've read a lot of comments by people saying Ron didn't deserve Hermione, and I do not agree with that at all. Hermione was extremely logical and observant, so it stands to reason that she saw something in Ron that no one else did. When Ron made that comment about house elves during the final battle, Hermione saw that he had finally had evolved into the man she knew he could be.

All that said...does anyone else get the feeling that by stirring up the fandom, JKR may be trying to drum up some more publicity for the WWoHP expansion at Universal Orlando? The timing is suspicious.


message 41: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Robin wrote: "These are just me own thinks, but....

Ron and Hermione were the brother and sister Harry never had. Harry marrying Ginny brought him officially into the family that he adored and yearned to belong..."


Deirdre wrote: "Honestly, I think Harry Potter should have really ended up alone, or perhaps married some other auror that he met after leaving Hogwarts.

Harry Potter definitely shouldn't have ended up with Hermi..."


She could have had Harry, but chose Ron instead. . . She saw something in him that no one else did. Great points. Exactement!


Rachel Feldman You know that new lottery commercial where someone is having inane thoughts & ponderings--because they are so rich they have nothing to serious to think about. This is JK Rowing. She has a LOT of time of her hands.


Khyati a lot better than harry &luna or ginny & neville


Rebekah As far as I could see Harry and Ginny was completely out of the blue (correct me if I'm wrong?) there just suddenly this tension between them in the 6th book (I haven't read them for a while, is that right?).
However I do think they make a nice couple and I can't think of anything worse than Harry and Hermione together. Can you imagine? They are friends and if they were together, Ron would just be pushed away, it would be SO AWKWARD. Also, it would have ruined the books. Everyone would have thrown them down in disgust screaming WOW, SUCH a cliche! I can't even see how they would see each other in a romantic way and I can't BELIEVE JK Rowling thinks that! The more I think about it the worse it seems.
As for Hermione and Ron, I think... I just think they were also a good couple because Ron was obviously besotted with Hermione and she had gradually grown to love him too. You can imagine them growing old together into one of those adorable couples. But I do think that Hermione might have become frustrated with Ron sometimes, as he can't really discuss things on the same intellectual level. So... I can see where she's coming from.


Horsegirl275 Any Dramione shippers out there? Yes? No? Cheers!


Alexis Agree


message 47: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Nichola wrote: "Ron and Hermione belong together but I've never been crazy about Harry and Ginny. No chemistry."

Same here, seems like it was just thrown in for the sake of Harry ending up with SOMEone.


message 48: by Martin (new) - added it

Martin Donald What a Bitch!


L. L. Yes, Of course he should have married Hermoine! But,it would have gone wonky before long! Harry and Hermoine hit it off too well from the beginning and were destined to be BFFs; Hermoine and Ron hated each other and that is the proper way for a proper relationship to start, right? at least that is the way it worked for me. I couldn't stand my hubby when I first met him...thought he was the most pompass bore on earth...25-years, three boys and one grandson later...we are madly in love...so that is the way it should be IN MY HUMBLE OPINION. ;)

It certainly would have been more satisfying for the fans if H & H had tied the knot; however, it is classic that he instead married his BFF's little sister.

I am more upset that she (Rowling) killed of Dobby, Dumbledork and Hedwig! She just went on a killing frenzy towards the end!! why didn't Malfoy and his disgusting family die a horrible death? THAT is the ending I wanted!!!


message 50: by John (new) - added it

John West Actually, I think the pairings were perfect. Think about it. Harry and Hermione were more like siblings who looked out for each other. They weren't attracted to each other. Hermione was the brains to Harry's fighting spirit. and both of them needed a family. Harry came from a family of Muggles(his parents being dead) as did Hermione. Ron was the only one of the three in a family of all magic-users. Harry and Hermione technically both married into Ron's family, making Harry and Ron brothers by marriage and giving everyone exactly what they needed.


« previous 1
back to top