Books2Movies Club discussion

Spartacus
This topic is about Spartacus
Books2Movies Projects > EPICS 01.0 - Spartacus -- Introduction

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zeljka (last edited May 10, 2014 11:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeljka (ztook) | 2839 comments Mod
This is the story of Spartacus, the Greek gladiator whose army of slaves brought ancient Rome near to its knees. Over four years, in battle after bloody battle, he smashed one Roman army after another...
It is the story of the most incredible rebellion history has ever known - men and women who fought bare-fisted and marched barefoot...
It is the blistering story of Rome in 71 BC, rotten with decadence and corruption...
SPARTACUS AND THE SLAVE-REVOLUTION CHANGED EVERYTHING.

Above is a fascinating excerpt from the back cover blurb of my edition of the book - no better introduction is necessary to the story we are going to read the following month and half.

The book is written in eight parts, so this is how we imagined the discussions to go:

EPICS 01.1 - Spartacus -- Part One (03.02.-10.02.)
EPICS 01.2 - Spartacus -- Part Two and Three (11.- 19.02.)
EPICS 01.3 - Spartacus -- Part Four and Five (20.-28.02.)
EPICS 01.4 - Spartacus -- Part Six to Eight and Conclusion (01.03.-12.03.)
EPICS 01.5 - Spartacus -- Movies and Comparisons (13.-16.03.)

The page count of the book parts vary a lot, so it seems as we would progress with the book, the amount of pages to read would rise. I hope though that the interest for the book would equally rise! I tried to make a reading schedule manageable - if you have some other suggestions, please tell me.

Of course, these discussion posts are supposed to be spoiler-free in relation to the posts that would follow them.

So, what do you think? Will you read the book? What attracted you to read the book in the first place - the Kirk Douglas movie or something else? I for instance haven't ever seen the movie, but have heard so much about it repeatedly over years that I cannot wait to start reading the book.

Stephanie | 11 comments I don't know anything about the book, and all I know about the movie I learned from the movie Clueless. I just finished Part One and so far so good!

Stephanie wrote: "I don't know anything about the book, and all I know about the movie I learned from the movie Clueless. I just finished Part One and so far so good!"

Really? I saw Clueless last year, but do not recall there was mention of Spartacus lol. Was it the essay she did or movie?

Part One discussion open now :)

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Stephanie | 11 comments Zeljka wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "I don't know anything about the book, and all I know about the movie I learned from the movie Clueless. I just finished Part One and so far so good!"

Really? I saw Clueless last ..."

Christian and Cher watch it when he visits her house. She didn't realize it at the time but his love of this movie should have been one of her clues to his sexual orientation. Clueless is one of my faves.

Lol yes. Poor girl :)

message 6: by Robyn (new) - added it

Robyn Is this the book that Showtime based their TV Series from? Because I ABSOLUTELY love that show!

I have no idea is the series based on this specific book, but the book can be read anyway, as Spartacus was real historic person :)

I neglected the book a bit, because I was overwhelmed with other real-life duties these days. I hope I won't miss the deadline!

message 8: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (peggynell) | 14 comments Today Amazon has the kindle book, I Am Spartacus! Making a Film, Breaking the Blacklist by Kirk Douglas by Kirk Douglas for $1.99. Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083JBWTI/r...

Great find, thanks!

Alana (alanasbooks) | 730 comments Mod
I've always heard the name and cultural references but never read or seen, so I'm looking forward to getting to this (after I finish up a couple of other books, as always!)

Ok, and a totally dumb question....there's apparently six or seven books of this title. Which author am I looking for?

message 12: by Josh (last edited Jun 20, 2014 12:32PM) (new) - added it

Josh Campbell | 10 comments I think they are referencing this edition: Spartacus by Howard Fast.

Ah, thank you! I wasn't finding it with a search, for some reason. Added to the ever-growing pile of stuff I want to read :P

message 14: by Josh (new) - added it

Josh Campbell | 10 comments You're welcome. :)

Yes, strange that GR search offers a bunch of obscure books before those who have much bigger number of ratings than those. They aren't even GR authors to be listed that high.

Yeah, usually the book I'm looking for is somewhere in the top three, or at least top five, but this one wasn't coming up for some reason.

Joanne | 22 comments I was given permission by the mod, Zeljka to revive this thread. I just started listening to the audiobook of this work. If you are interested in chatting about it, that would be great! I'll go over to Part 1 now and write some thoughts.

I'll see if I can find it on audio and join in, Joanne! It's on my ever-expanding list of "I want to read it, but never find time" :)

Joanne | 22 comments I got mine from Audible.com on audio!

I just started listening to it today. I ordered a paperback copy as well, since I like to follow along.

There are several books called Spartacus, I had to double check the author! Are the others good also? Or is it just that this is the only one made into a movie?

Joanne | 22 comments I don't know! I never tried the others.

I bought one of the others on Amazon because the author sounded interesting, so we'll see :)