Chicks On Lit discussion

Non Book Talk > A quick opinion please, if you will...

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Jul 02, 2009 09:50AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) We now have a camping trailer up in the Kittatinny Mountains in NJ which we can use year round, so it's essentially like a second home. We'll go up there on weekends as much as possible, when our schedule allows. This is going to be our 1st weekend up there.

My questions are these: Do I cart books back & forth whenever we go up there OR do I pick some I haven't started yet, from my shelves and leave them up there? Or do I do both? I can't figure this one out. I'm leaving a couple of notebooks up there in case I forget to bring a journal along.

message 2: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) Hiya Jo! Sounds wonderful - your own little retreat:) I would probably take some books up there and leave them that way I don't always have to cart around a bunch of books each time and that way I knew that once I got up there I would already have some books to choose from. Of course, knowing that I am always immersed in a new book, I would probably take along whatever I was reading. So, I guess to answer your question, I would do both. And great idea about leaving a couple of notebooks up there! Hope you have a fab 4th!!!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Thanks Nadia! Have a great weekend yourself too! I'm leaning towards doing both.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I'm with Nadia, Jo. I'd leave a few quick, easy reads up there and then if you have a book you don't want to put down for the whole weekend, I'd take that as well.

message 5: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Jul 02, 2009 12:44PM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I've pulled some I've read, some I haven't finished and some I haven't started yet from the shelves and I'm taking them with me to leave up there.

The Wednesday Sisters A Novel
Jane Eyre
Wedding Ring (Shenandoah Album) (duplicate)
Under the Tuscan Sun (duplicate)
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle A Novel
The Artist's Way A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity (duplicate)
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry

message 6: by Peanut (new)

Peanut | 149 comments I say cart them.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Jo, I think I'd hedge my bets and do both. Take some, cart some, but maybe cart only when you know you'll be several days or longer. Eventually, though, you'll find what works for you.

message 8: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) why don't you take up all those half read books that you've been meaning to finish but never get round to (...come on now, we all have them!) - leave those ones there and that way - you'll absolutely have to finish them - you'll have no choice! lol! - on a more serious note - I'd cart them there and back - you just know that the one you want will be in the opposite place to you!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I'm taking the ones I noted above and leaving them up there (some are unfinished, some I've read & love & have duplicates and a couple I've never read). I think that should be good enough for a while. I'm also bringing the 2 I'm currently reading, which is what I'll do whenever we go up. Since I've got reading add at times, I figure I've got enough of a variety to be able to find some thing out of those titles to peak my interest for a little while!

Thanks for weighing on this with me Chicks! This whole having 2 homes is new to me so I'm up in the air about a lot still.

message 10: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) | 811 comments I couldn't leave books. What if it was one I want to start and I don't have it? I would just bring a few back and forth with me.

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments I agree with ya Mandy! I know that the one I wanted would be in the opposite place! Congrats Jo; and if I'm ever in Jersey...I will see you one weekend!

message 12: by Ellie (new)

Ellie Hertrich | 2 comments I have the same problem - I recently purchased a beach house and have been filling the bookcase there with books I've read so others can enjoy them. Last weekend I took down several new books that I haven't read yet and now that I just finished my last book, I want one that is at the shore!!! Bad planning on my part. I think I will cart unread books back and forth from now on.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Yay Cindy!

That's why I decided to take ones I've read (some are duplicates some not), others I've never finished tho I want to but have others I want to read more so I never get to them and a couple of duplicates I've never read before. I'm more than comfy with the books I linked to above being up therw full time. Of course I'll bring along my current read but in case it bores me or I forget it, I'll have something up there that interests me. All times faves stay at home! To-reads I really really really want to read also stay home! (And if I find I'm liking one of those I'm leaving behind so much, I'll just bring It home w/me).

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments I'd bring my current one and leave a bunch up there - I thought that list you posted looked terrific. And let me know what you think of The Artist's Way - my sister (who is one helluvan artist) raves about that book.

message 15: by Jcwillis53 (new)

Jcwillis53 Brown (southerncomfortauthor) | 90 comments What a wonderful "problem" to have! I'd do both but remember leaving a book in an unopened envirnoment can cause problems for the book itself. You do whatever works best for you. I'm so possessive with my books that the thought of a rodent getting a chance to nibble on one would push me over the edge. When you have a cabin/ trailer/ abode in the woods God's creatures were there before you were and know how to get into places.
From your list it looks like you have several areas that entertain you. If you want a book just for good hometown fun read Southern Comfort or More Southern Comfort. They are available on the internet and hopefully someday soon in public libraries. I'm working on that right now. Enjoy your wonderful 2nd home!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Laura wrote: "I'd bring my current one and leave a bunch up there - I thought that list you posted looked terrific. And let me know what you think of The Artist's Way - my sister (who is one helluvan artist) ra..."

I LOVE The Artist's Way! The one I left up there is a duplicate. Excellent regardless of your creative medium.

Thanks Jcwillis53. It is a wonderful quandry, lol! Good luck with your books! (Got the rodent/ant possibility covered already, traps were left in all the right places though ants are the more likely problem. In our family's cabin in PA, they're definitely the problem!)

message 17: by Jcwillis53 (new)

Jcwillis53 Brown (southerncomfortauthor) | 90 comments What until your memory starts to "play games with you" and you buy a book that you already have at home and get half way thru the 3rd chapter before you remember you already have it on the shelf? Just make yourself of list of what you are leaving behind...I am very, very big on lists at my age!

message 18: by Jcwillis53 (new)

Jcwillis53 Brown (southerncomfortauthor) | 90 comments and remember to donate the duplicate that you just purchased to a women's shelter. They need good books to read, too.

message 19: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Jul 08, 2009 06:25AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Jcwillis53 wrote: "and remember to donate the duplicate that you just purchased to a women's shelter. They need good books to read, too."

I only pick up duplicates of books I'm thinking of giving to friends/my aunt, because my original copy is falling apart or I want a fresh copy to read without seeing my previous notations. I donate books often throughout the year to a few different places. Our local women's shelter doesn't take direct donations of any kind as they do everything to keep their location a secret and I've been told by them on the phone that they make their own arrangements to get the things they need for their residents.