Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Different binding, but same ISBN

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (kendralou) | 3 comments I'm a relatively new librarian and I'm not sure how to handle this.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...

The book I have is a library bound, large print edition of a book. When I do a search by ISBN, the hit is for the paperback edition of the book. From checking on Amazon, this ISBN matches the large print edition just in paperback. My problem is the page number is wrong compared with the book in my hand. I'm not sure if it's just incorrect page numbers or if perhaps it would be different with the different binding.

How do I handle the book I have? Do I add another edition without an ISBN, making a note that this is the library bound edition of the same book?

message 2: by rivka, Former Librarian Moderator (last edited Jul 02, 2009 08:56AM) (new)

rivka | 45527 comments Mod
The page number of 320 is almost certainly wrong. Round numbers like that are usually an approximation (made by Amazon or the publisher). My guess is the library edition you have isn't really. It is quite common for libraries to have MMPs rebound in hardcover. Especially with romance novels (which have very high reader turnover and need extra durability to stand up to all those readers).

message 3: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (kendralou) | 3 comments Okay, thanks. So, editing the page numbers is appropriate?

message 4: by rivka, Former Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45527 comments Mod
Yup. :)