Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > E-Book and Print with Same ISBN & E-Books with No ISBN

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 15 comments I've run across a book that seems to have the same ISBN for both the print (trade paperback) edition and the e-book version. The binding field currently says "e-book and print." I'm wondering if they should be separated and a new listing created for the e-book, but if I do that would I just leave the ISBN blank and then combine editions?

I also recently downloaded some free e-book reads that don't seem to have an ISBN. Should they just be manually added without it?

I've never run across either of these issues before, so any help would be appreciated.

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments I would make one listing strictly ebook, and leave the ISBN blank with a note that it has no ISBN. Most ebooks (minus the Kindles, which have an ASIN) are missing ISBNs, or have the same as the pbook.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments I would leave them as a single listing, but I personally wouldn't get very worked up one way or the other.

message 4: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 15 comments Seems like I have two different opinions. Would anyone else like to weigh in with advice on this issue?

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44985 comments Mod
Slight preference for Jessica's suggestion. But like Not-the-Michael (who I think I shall start calling NtM for short), I don't have a strong opinion on the matter.

message 6: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 56 comments Julie (Mom2lnb) wrote: "I've run across a book that seems to have the same ISBN for both the print (trade paperback) edition and the e-book version. The binding field currently says "e-book and print." I'm wondering if th..."

When I run across the situation I..
Create the edition for the ebook
Leave the ISBN blank
Make a note that either it has no ISBN or is a duplicate ISBN. If a duplicate, I also make note of the ISBN.
Combine with the other editions of that book.

message 7: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 15 comments Thanks for the feedback everyone. For some reason the paperback edition wasn't showing up when I clicked combine editions on the version I mentioned above, but I found it on a search. I managed to combine editions and clean up the e-book version to have no ISBN and a note that it's a duplicate. In future, I think that's what I'll do if I run across this problem again.