Curl Up with a Good Book - - Club discussion

My Sister's Keeper > Finished the My Sister's Keeper! (Possible spoilers in this thread)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam Piette (new)

Sam Piette | readmyselftosleep (sampiette) | 10 comments Mod
Once you finish the book, feel free to post here what you thought about it. Did you like it? Did you hate it? Did you cry? Did you scream out in disbelief? Did the end work the way you thought it would, or should? Good and bad, share your thoughts. :-)

message 2: by Corinne (last edited Jul 01, 2009 07:40AM) (new)

Corinne (cbartshire) | 22 comments funny...I did exactly this same thing..start a thread for spolier discussions, but it didn't show up... I don't know where it went. Thanks for being our "discussion" leader.

Here are my comments. I balled through the last 20 pages! I wasn't angry about the car accident, but super sad...I had a feeling when Brian's pager went off that Anna was going to be in that MVA. Does that mean it was predictable?

I liked Sam's comment that Kate nor Anna could really "live" without a sacrifice from the other, so the author had to do something. I think the entire book, including the ending was very well written. I don't think the car accident was a cop out, but a lesson to all of us, and to the Fitzgerald's that life is fragile and unpredictable - for everyone.

There is happiness in the ending for the married couple, for Jesse getting his act together, for Kate graduating highschool and knowing that her sister is a part of her, and for all of us who learned that life should be "lived".

message 3: by Sam Piette (new)

Sam Piette | readmyselftosleep (sampiette) | 10 comments Mod
I agree with Corinne that the basic idea behind the story is that life needs to be "lived" instead of just playing a waiting game. Sara and Brian learned a valuable lesson in that no one is guaranteed a full life, they just happened to learn it with the child they didn't think would have to worry about it.

I also don't feel that the end was a cop-out, however I think it could have been better. Looking back, I suppose you can say that about anything though, that it could have been better. Easy for me to say since I didn't actually write the book, nor do I have any writing talent at all. I would have liked to know more about what caused the car accident and more about Anna's last moments. I'm not sure why the author included Campbell saying that he has no doubt Anna will be amazing 10 years from now. That actually didn't sit well with me. I found it as a little slap in the face when the accident happened that they were JUST discussing how she would grow up and then she dies. I feel that the end could have been a little slower and that the author could have drawn out the process of actually deciding whether to pull the plug on Anna or not, instead of Campbell making the decision so quickly. In the end though, that was the decision that needed to be made, so I suppose it didn't matter much how quickly it was made.

All in all, I liked the book. I didn't love it, only because of the ending being a twist that caught me off guard. I knew it was coming, but it happened very quickly. I found it incredibly easy to read and get hooked into, as well as easy to feel compassionate for the characters and what they were going through. I'm interested to see what the movie is like and I think I will be reading more of Jodi Picoult's books in the future.

message 4: by Corinne (new)

Corinne (cbartshire) | 22 comments Samantha wrote: "I'm not sure why the author included Campbell saying that he has no doubt Anna will be amazing 10 years from now. "

I liked that part because it gave me an uplifting sense that people were recognizing Anna for Anna and not as Kate's donor.

Samantha wrote: "I feel that the end could have been a little slower and that the author could have drawn out the process of actually deciding whether to pull the plug on Anna or not, instead of Campbell making the decision so quickly. "

I was proud of Campbell for making the decision so quickly. I think it showed that he and the Fitzgerald's learned a lot about Anna and their responsibilities as guardians in her life.