Book Haven discussion

Mystery > Do you like mysteries that include a little supernatural?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
I tend to prefer these! I think it adds a little flare in the plot, and it allows the author to do ANYTHING with the characters! :)

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I do like this, but I also love a good cop/detective mystery. I'm getting really tired of the "amateur" detective. You know the one who stumbles across a dead body every other month and seems to have the ability that whole police departments don't have to solve the crime. The supernatural makes everything more exciting though, doesn't it?

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann Noell (fantasyannie) I do like supernatural with my mysteries, also some romance lol... my fave is Jayne Ann Krentz. I'm not to much of a contemporary reader, so it has to be paranormal for me to read it.

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) I don't mind a little of it. Like one of the characters being physic or something.

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 188 comments THe WooWoo factor! Oh yes. Victoria Laurie, Carole Nelson Douglas, Alice Kimberly, Carolyn Haines come to mind.

message 6: by new_user (last edited Jul 01, 2009 12:12PM) (new)

new_user I don't like it much. For me, rather than have a little dash of this or that, I'd rather have a complete this and that, LOL. Having a little supernatural just seems weak to me, a convenient way to manage some plot.

message 7: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) Only a little bit. Such as, if someone is a little psychic, or the mystery is that it looks to be supernatural but actually has a very "natural" reason behind it, lol. For example, Sherlock Holmes in "The Hound of Baskervilles".

I also kind of like it when at the end, there are a few unsolved pieces that suggest supernatural reasons, but it leaves you at that.

I don't mind a supernatural mystery if that's just a given part of the novel's world. Like the mysteries in the Anita Blake series. It would be very weird if there wasn't anything supernatural going on in one of those books, lol. Of course, it isn't a mystery series, but it DOES have mysteries in it.

message 8: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments Not usually. I like my mysteries to be mysterious because of the details of the crime, not because things that go bump in the night are involved.

I make an exception for the Rowan Gant Investigations books by M.R. Sellars. The main character is a witch and his psychic impressions are part of the tapestry of the story.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 244 comments I do like these. I love pretty much everything that is paranormal whether it's a romance or mystery or whatever im gonna read it.

message 10: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (bamamom) | 27 comments Not usually. I like mysteries with a little humor to them. I will read books like Sherlock Holmes or an Agatha Cristie mystery.

message 11: by Maggie (new)

Maggie James (maggiejamesfiction) | 37 comments I find it a little off-putting. It can end up being a bit of a cop-out to explain weird things in the plot.

message 12: by Jenn (new)

Jenn They are my favorite kind of mysteries. I've read all kinds but always go back to the paranormal ones.

message 13: by C. (last edited Nov 06, 2013 10:28AM) (new)

C. | 3 comments I like all my books to be 'clean' but not Christian/Inspirational,and am just getting into 'cozy' mysteries,because I also can't take gruesome,gory details.
If they were in these limits,I think they sound good, and I especially agree with BonFire's outlook.Plus touch of humor would also be fun.:]

Are there any like this?

message 14: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) I just read an amazing story that is fitting to this very topic.
The XIIIth hour at Duskland by Isis Sousa

An all around great read which I strongly recommend. Plenty of mystery mixed in some supernatural.

message 15: by Brian (new)

Brian Jones | 1 comments Hmmm, hadn't thought of it.

message 16: by Evelyne (new)

Evelyne | 33 comments Thanks Justin. Just read the book the XIIIth hour by Isis Sousa. I really enjoyed it. Fast read and well written.

message 17: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) Very nice, glad I could help!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I am really glad to hear the comments here, Justin and Evelyne! :)

I always enjoy mystery stories with supernatural things going on, I think it makes them very exciting. I remember when I was on my early teens and I had an anthology of short stories by Stephen King, and many of them were mysteries with supernatural twists... I really enjoyed the reads. :)

message 19: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 188 comments Absolutely - two of my favorite things!

message 20: by Jody (new)

Jody | 5 comments Melissa wrote: "I do like this, but I also love a good cop/detective mystery. I'm getting really tired of the "amateur" detective. You know the one who stumbles across a dead body every other month and seems to ..."

Totally agree with this. I read one a while back.

message 21: by Alice (new)

Alice Sabo (alice_sabo) I like James Oswald's Inspector McLean series. There is a slight supernatural element but he ignores it. He is a police detective in Scotland. He tries to explain any of the supernatural away in as normal a way as possible. But it is obvious to the reader (at least to me) that there is something more going on.

I've read 2 and looking forward to #3.

message 22: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (rosybookworm) | 11 comments I found one series that is mystery and supernatural and it is amazing I love trying to figure it out and all the action scenes. It's the Dresden files if anyone wants to read them by Jim Butcher.

message 23: by Ellie (new)

Ellie Stevenson | 23 comments I don't know whether it's okay to mention this, as I'm an author, so please delete it if it's inappropriate, but my new book, Shadows of the Lost Child is just out as an ebook, and that's a partly historical mystery with a dash of ghosts and some time travel. Check it out if you wish!

Shadows of the Lost Child by Ellie Stevenson

message 24: by Carla (new)

Carla Coon (carlacoon) | 14 comments Sounds interesting Ellie. I'll check it out.

Mine too, is a mystery with just enough supernatural to make it fun but not enough to make it unrealistic.
It's like The Omen but in reverse so look out. THE GLEN
The Glen by Carla Coon

message 25: by Mariel (new)

Mariel Grey | 125 comments I love the books by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. They co-author books, as well as write independently. Some of their characters will appear in their individual as well as co-authored books.
There's a small element of supernatural and/or science fiction in most of their books. You know, I've not reviewed any of those books or added them to my Goodreads shelves. Guess I should do that!

message 26: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Ley (goodreadscomjackie_ley) | 8 comments The best ghost supernatural mystery I've read is 'The Little Stranger' by Sarah Waters. She's a brilliant writer and a great storyteller with a knack for the surprise twist in the plot.

message 27: by Mariel (new)

Mariel Grey | 125 comments Jackie wrote: "The best ghost supernatural mystery I've read is 'The Little Stranger' by Sarah Waters. She's a brilliant writer and a great storyteller with a knack for the surprise twist in the plot."

Sounds like someone new to check out. Always fun to find new authors.

message 28: by Carla (last edited Oct 02, 2014 04:56AM) (new)

Carla Coon (carlacoon) | 14 comments I'm going to look "The Little Stranger" up as well. It's been a long time since I've read a ghost story. :)

OOPs two strikes for me - the kindle is like $8! and it's written in first person. While I'm still writing The Glen Series, I stay away from 1st person books afraid it will mess up close 3rd person I use in the books. I'll put it on my shelf for later, - fyi, a used paperback is a penney with just 3.99 shipping.

message 29: by Mariel (new)

Mariel Grey | 125 comments Carla wrote: "I'm going to look "The Little Stranger" up as well. It's been a long time since I've read a ghost story. :)

OOPs two strikes for me - the kindle is like $8! and it's written in first person. Whil..."

Don't see many books written in first person.

message 30: by LiteraryChic (new)

LiteraryChic (ncrican) I absolutely LOVE supernatural in my cozy mysteries, rather that I prefer to read that type of book!!!

message 31: by Eric (new)

Eric Turowski (eric_turowski) | 8 comments Love supernatural stuff in my mysteries. In fact, I write 'em. In a few months, I'll post an update about a hardboiled paranormal mystery with a little history. But not too much.

message 32: by Groovy (last edited Mar 26, 2015 07:40PM) (new)

Groovy Lee I'm the opposite of Melissa in answer no. 2, I don't like cop/detective mysteries. The cops are always the same: harsh, think they know everything, don't like women too much, or if it's a woman, she has to prove her worth, the same old formula of talking forensics, out in the field, or at the police station, blah, blah, blah.

With the amateur detectives: they are all different in personalities, they have exciting home lives which makes for a second plot, they're someone you like and can identify with, and how they solve the crime is rather entertaining.

And no, I don't like supernatural in anything, but that's just me.