The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Need help deciding which books to take!!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shona (new)

Shona (anovelobsession) Hi all,
I am in the process of moving from Virginia to Germany. I'll be on the road and living in hotels for about three weeks visiting family before leaving the States, and I'm trying not to pack too much, so I am having a very hard time picking three or four books to take with me. I have a bunch TBR, but I'm afraid of picking the wrong ones--I know I'm pathetic, but I don't want to run out of good books to read while I'm on the road! Any suggestions on good ones to pack - I'm thinking of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Book Thief as two of them....

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Well, my friend would definitely suggest The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but I haven't read that one yet. I have read The Book Thief, and absolutely suggest taking that one!

Do you have a list of books that you're trying to narrow down? That might help. :)

message 3: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) Shonal wrote: "Hi all,
I am in the process of moving from Virginia to Germany. I'll be on the road and living in hotels for about three weeks visiting family before leaving the States, and I'm trying not to pac..."

I would suggest Firefly Lane, The Secret Life of Bees, The Friday Night Knitting Club, Knit Two just to name a few of my fav's. Hope this helps.

message 4: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10125 comments Mod
Water For Elephants and Fragment (if your to-read shelf are books that you already own).....

message 5: by Shona (new)

Shona (anovelobsession) Lori wrote: "Water For Elephants and Fragment (if your to-read shelf are books that you already own)....."

Thanks for all the suggestions...I bought Fragment for my husband for Father's Day so I'll make him take that one for him then I can read it when he's done.
I've already read The Secret Life of Bees, which I absolutely loved. Books that I still have to choose from include:
Shadow of the Wind
Mister Pip
Skeletons at the Feast
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society
The Accidental Bestseller
The Alienist
The Angel's Game
The Thirteenth Tale
Can You Keep a Secret

message 6: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Shadow of the Wind has come highly recommended. I haven't read it yet, but am excited too. I enjoyed Thirteenth Tale and Guernsey too.

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I really liked Guernsey and Thirteenth Tale as well.

message 8: by Jane (new)

Jane Annashu wrote: "I really liked Guernsey and Thirteenth Tale as well. "

I agree with Vicki on SotW. That's a great read for being on the road. From what I've read, the Angel's Game is along the same lines.

message 9: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 409 comments I would definitely encourage you to go with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Book Thief. Of the others on your list, I would say, Shadow of the Wind, The Guernsey Literary, etc. and The Thirteenth Tale are my faves.

message 10: by Shona (new)

Shona (anovelobsession) Thanks all,
I have definitely decided on what I'm packing:
1) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
2) Shadow of the Wind
3) The Book Thief
4) The Guernsey Literary...
5) The Thirteenth Tale - will probably get on audio to listen to in the car
6) I'll read Fracture when my husband is done

Don't have a lot of time to read while we're packing, so I can't wait to get on the road!!!

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I'm glad that you will be taking The Thirteenth Tale too. I loved that book! :D

message 12: by Dree (new)

Dree Skeletons at the Feast is excellent and not too quick. Guernsey is a really quick read--does this matter to you? It matters to me on trips. Can you keep a secret is also quick; the Book Thief is fairly quick but not horribly so. I am apparently the only person out there who hated The Thirteenth Tale (the worst fiction book I have finished in years, ugh!). I haven't read Girl with a Dragon Tattoo--I've read the first chapter twice having had it twice from the library. Huge queue, I am waiting again and will have to start over again! I would take that one too, I found it slow. The rest I am not familiar with :)

message 13: by Vonney (new)

Vonney Young (ysgillen67) | 75 comments I loved the audio (unabridged) version of The Thirteenth Tale. Can't remember who the female narrator was, but she had a very pleasant British accent. Made the story all that more enjoyable.

message 14: by Serena (new)

Serena I agree with Vonney. I listened to The Thirteenth Tale too, and I enjoyed that version.

I'd also recommend The Guernsey Literary....

message 15: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Sounds like a good list!

message 16: by Shona (new)

Shona (anovelobsession) Thanks all for all your suggestions...I just love having someone to talk to about books!!!!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments Out of that list, I'd recommend Guernsey and The Alienist.

message 18: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 44 comments Thirteenth Tale..... That book is sooo good! I am eager to find a book that I like as good or better than that one. The Book Thief was okay for me. I know people love it, but for me just okay. I bought The Guernsey Literary in London for 2.99 pounds. I am eager to start it after I finish Outlander.