Goodreads Sci-Fi/Fantasy Authors discussion

Author Books > Q&A

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Regina (new)

Regina Hunter (sova) Sometimes need a public ideas and opinions hope we can share.

message 2: by Regina (new)

Regina Hunter (sova) Hi, I'm not seen here that much (gotta fix that)well by creating new post that would be interesting for me I hope to meet new people, and share ideas and stuff. Want to warn you English is not my first language, and some thing or the way I gonna say the, will be totally weird. And also I have issue switching between the languages cuz I know more than four, and now learning 6 more. (imagine mess in my head). Ok, for my first question in thins post, who is your favorite person in history and why, but don't tell me because he is the great or everybody loves him, something has to connect you with him or her or it?

LungHuo* 龍火 * | 4 comments One of my favorite historical person would be Sallah-addin(Saladin). I'm interested in medieval history, espacially around the time of the crusades. And in my oppinion Saladin was the greatest warlord in that time. His strategies were brilliant and how fair he treated his enemies was just examplary. For example as Richard Lionheart had fever Saladin has sent him mountain ice and his personal doctors to cure him.

message 4: by Regina (new)

Regina Hunter (sova) Wow, thanks. Interesting............running toward library to do research* lol

message 5: by Joe (new)

Joe Vadalma (JoeVadalma) | 25 comments Owlm wrote: "Hi, I'm not seen here that much (gotta fix that)well by creating new post that would be interesting for me I hope to meet new people, and share ideas and stuff. Want to warn you English is not my f..."
My favorite historical person is Benjamin Franklin. I doubt whether there would have been a USA without him. He was quirky and a womanizer but a genius. He contribute several inventions, wrote good advice, was a diplomat, a politician, a statesman and had a way with people.

How are you able to speak so many languages? I make plenty of grammatical mistakes in my native English and it's the only language I know. (Oh, maybe a couple of words of Spanish and German.)

message 6: by Regina (new)

Regina Hunter (sova) Joe wrote: "Owlm wrote: "Hi, I'm not seen here that much (gotta fix that)well by creating new post that would be interesting for me I hope to meet new people, and share ideas and stuff. Want to warn you Englis..."

Well i speak 6 languages and little of sign language, and have to learn more it is so fascinating, and most lang have lack of words and expressions, but if i combine them i have everything i need to tell people, the only problem is nobody will know the heck I am talking about.

LungHuo* 龍火 * | 4 comments i actually know only 3 other languages than german, english, french and japanese(started to learn it half a year ago)...but i'm planing to learn chinese and korean, too....ah and language you can't use to talk to anyone in our time, ok except for the pope....LATIN....^^

message 8: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Meier | 26 comments Wow, you guys rock! I speak only two languages.

I also have a little problem with narrowing my favourite person in history to only one.

Maria the Jewess... a doctor who invented the 'Marienbad'... hmmm... Lao Tzu the father of Taoism... Attila the Hun, a villain to many but a folk hero for Hungary who would not conquer any territory touched by Alexander the Great and who turned back from sacking Rome... Hypatia, mathematician and librarian martyred at Alexandria by Cyrus and his mob...

And that's just a start... how about Hero of Alexandria and Al Jazziri, two artificers who built automata and clocks? Da Vinci for his mind and his vision?

I'd better stop... There are a ton of people now crowding forward...

message 9: by Regina (new)

Regina Hunter (sova) Its cool that it is more than one, in my opinion it shows your interest in the world around you, and proves you not ignorant. I love da Vinci too. By the way I found videos where they test his inventions, I found out he made a "robot" based on clock mechanism, he had alot of limitations but HEY we talking about Renaissance here and robots, and by the way he looked silly the robot made of knight armor. If you wish I can e-mail the video.

message 10: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Meier | 26 comments Thanks! I believe I saw that episode! The one where they built the scythe chariot was scary. Ancient Discoveries is an interesting show.

message 11: by Regina (new)

Regina Hunter (sova) Well i did not see it as a show, i have only a minute of presentation of the robot.

message 12: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Meier | 26 comments sounds wonderful... please send me the info. I'd be pleased to see it.

Thanks!

message 13: by Rita (new)

Rita Webb (ritawebb) Joe, great choice! Benjamin Franklin had such personality. Hundreds of years later, we still know he was .... he was... he was... so hard to describe. He had stage presence. Very few others had such vivid characters. Mark Twain and Shakespeare were two of them.

message 14: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Meier | 26 comments Hey, Owln

How about Nicholai Kopernicus's sister who ground all his lenses for him? Or the woman/pirate who shut down all of China's ports? Or the real-life person behind the Mulan myth?

Or Anne Boney who said to the man going to the gallows..."If you'd fought like a man, you'd not be dyin' like a dog..."

message 15: by Regina (new)

Regina Hunter (sova) In my opinion every person who ever lived contributed to us in one way or another, you just have to see this contribution.

message 16: by Rita (new)

Rita Webb (ritawebb) Owlm wrote: "In my opinion every person who ever lived contributed to us in one way or another, you just have to see this contribution. "

Very good point, Owlm. My great-grandmother won't ever make into history books, but she raised my grandmother, who raised my mother, who raised me. She had a profound affect on my upbringing and who I grew to be.

message 17: by Regina (last edited Jul 16, 2009 12:48PM) (new)

Regina Hunter (sova) Well who knows maybe our offspring will be scientists or politicians, you never know. My family has a pretty tough history but it wont go farther than out city's history books

message 18: by Kevis (last edited Jul 20, 2009 05:34PM) (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 71 comments Owlm,

I have to admit you have me ripping the hairs out of my head right now trying to figure out who my favorite historical figure would be. There are just too many for me to choose from and I have never stopped to consider who would be at the top of my list.

If I had to pick someone, I would have to refrain from using the term "favorite historical figure". But the person I am most interested in learning about is Adolf Hitler. After Jesus, he might be the most important man in history.

We all know the atrocities he committed. But I often stop to wonder what would have happened if he had used his talents for good. A man with that much influence over the world could have done mankind a tremendous service. But we all know how the story goes and he is perhaps the most evil man who ever lived. It is my intrigue with how a person could be so evil that he is the person I am most interested in learning about. There are a couple of other figures I'd love to mention, but I'll speak about them another time.

message 19: by Regina (new)

Regina Hunter (sova) Guys I am totally impressed, honest if I had a heat I would take it off. Usually for me it is hard to find people with intellectual response, I don't say people are stupid, just I got a little tired of only answer I don't know. All of you even if did not know gave the example, and with every single one I agree.