Jodi Picoult Books Reading Group. discussion

Recommendations > What Picoult book to read next

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 74 comments I am trying to decide what Picoult book to read next...Keeping Faith, Perfect Match or Picture Perfect. Anybody have any advice?

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 27 comments Perfect Match is my favorite!

message 3: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 74 comments Thanks so much, Lauren! As soon as I finish my current book I am going to start Perfect Match. I am so glad I found this group on Goodreads. I love Jodi Picoult and am excited to talk to other people who enjoy her books!

message 4: by Britta (new)

Britta (brittaditta) | 24 comments Keeping Faith is REALLY good. I've read all three and they are all good... I'd say that Picture Perfect was my least favorite of the 3.

message 5: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 74 comments Hmmm....which to read first? Jodi's new book out next month has a character in it from Keeping Faith. I was hoping to get through it before the new one comes out. Maybe I can read both of them by then. I find most of her books to be real page turners!

message 6: by Meg (new)

Meg Oh deff go for Perfect Match!

message 7: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Keeping Faith.

message 8: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 74 comments Looks like they're both pretty well liked books....I can't really go wrong. I'll just pick one at random and read the other one right after. Thanks so much everyone!

message 9: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 74 comments I finished Perfect Match a couple of days ago. I thought it was really good. I have a one year old son. I guess when you have a child and read something like that you can't help but put yourself in the situation! Very disturbing.

I've started Keeping Faith. I am not that far into it but it seems to have a different tone than most of her other books. The tone reminds me a little of Harvesting the Heart, which I really liked. We'll see..... Thanks again everyone!

message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela Avery | 15 comments Perfect Match is AMAZING. I just finished that one last month. It's very interesting. It's set in the town I work in also in Maine, so that made it even more interesting to me! Very good book.

I didn't like Picture Perfect. I've read most of Jodi Picoult's books and that is the only one I didn't care for.

message 11: by sarafem (last edited Mar 09, 2008 12:18PM) (new)

sarafem Perfect Match is one of about three or four I haven't read yet, but Picture Perfect is the one JP book that I can honestly say I hated. HATED. Keeping Faith, on the other hand, completely floored me. It is up there with My Sister's Keeper and The Plain Truth as my favorites.

message 12: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 74 comments Hmm....I am really trying to get into Keeping Faith but, I have to admit, I'm having a hard time! I am about one hundred and seventy pages into it so far and it is just starting to get a little better for me. I've heard it gets better so I'm plugging along. I can't give up on one of Jodi's books! I loved Plain Truth and My Sister's Keeper too but this one.....it just isn't a page turner for me.

message 13: by Crystela (new)

Crystela | 7 comments I didn't like Picture Perfect either! That was my first Jodi Picoult book I read and I'm glad i thought twice about never reading her books again b/c I loved My Sister's Keeper and Plain Truth too!

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbee) | 8 comments I'm reading Salem Falls and I'm 155 pages into it and it's AGGRAVATING me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I can't say why in case someone didn't read it yet.

message 15: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (missbrittany) I'm 14 chapters into "Harvesting the Heart" right now. It has a very different feel than most of her work (no courtrooms!), likely because it is her second novel. But I like it a lot.

message 16: by Leena (new)

Leena Almashat | 59 comments i really want perfect match, keeping faith, and ninteen minutes! wuts da best?

message 17: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 74 comments Ninteen Minutes was my favorite out of those three. I really liked Perfect Match too. Keeping Faith was my least favorite Picoult book to date. I just didn't get out of it what I thought I would. However, everyone is so different and I would recommend you read them all!

message 18: by Leena (new)

Leena Almashat | 59 comments Thnaks, Jaime. But I'm still 15 years old. Do you think Keeping Faith would suit me? Because I heard that it is for old ones. Someone said that teenagers might not like it.

message 19: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 74 comments Ummm.... I'm not sure. I think it all depends on you as an individual, regardless of age. I am very interested in faith issues and religion in society and have read/talked about it a lot. I think, because of that in part, I just didn't really get any new "blow me away" perspectives on the issues out of Keeping Faith. I also don't think the plot line was as engrossing as others (but, of course, that's just my opinion). I would recommend Nineteen Minutes to you. The issues are very timely and in the forefront of our society today.......

TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey (thereadingknitter) I am going to read Mercy next. :) I've been trying to read a book on my TBR list, a random book and then a Jodi Picoult book (or at least until I've read all of her books). I'm OCD about the order of books. haha

message 21: by Britta (new)

Britta (brittaditta) | 24 comments Kasi, I am totally with you about being OCD in the order you read books...
I have to read books alphabetically... now THAT's OCD!

TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey (thereadingknitter) I have meet my twin on here...haha...Britta I have to read the books in the order that the author wrote them. haha...

message 23: by Dara (new)

Dara | 145 comments Britta you should stay away from serial books them lol...that is definitely OCD!

dara

message 24: by Dara (new)

Dara | 145 comments Jamie, I haven't read Keeping Faith yet, but I enjoyed both Picture Perfect and Perfect Match. It would depend on your mood. Perfect Match is about a young boy that is sexually abused, while Picture Perfect is about spousal abuse. For me Perfect Match was much more intense and upsetting topic, though if domestic abuse has touched your life in some way it might be pretty intense for you as well.

Picture Perfect doesn't involve a courtroom setting like many of her later books do...

so like it I said...it would depend on what you are in the mood to read. My next Jodi book will be The Pact, but I have a couple of library books that I need to read before I can get to it.

dara

message 25: by Dara (new)

Dara | 145 comments Okkk...well I just realized that you posted this back in February! Soooo...you have probably already read them all!

dara

message 26: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 74 comments Hi Dara,

I've read Perfect Match and Keeping Faith but not Picture Perfect yet. I liked Perfect Match but did not care for Keeping Faith much. Thanks for the info. about Picture Perfect though. I don't think I knew that it didn't involve a court scene. I may try that one next, for that reason! I just started reading Second Glance two days ago. I think it's good so far. I read The Pact awhile back. It's a very popular favorite but it's not one of mine. I am very much in the minority on that one though!

Ashley (bookworm84) (bookworm84) I'm going to be starting Salem Falls tonight :) I can't wait :)

message 28: by Allison (new)

Allison (theallisonnelson) | 50 comments Definitely let me know how that is, after the book I'm reading now I think I'll go back to Picoult and I'm not sure which one to choose!

message 29: by Meghann (new)

Meghann | 15 comments Ashley-I hope you enjoy that book. It's one of my favorites. Let me know what you think of it. I'm going to finish the book I'm reading right now and then either read Nineteen Minutes or My Sister's Keeper.

Ashley (bookworm84) (bookworm84) My Sisters Keeper is my favourite Picoult book that I have read.

message 31: by Yaya (new)

Yaya (yayajanuary) | 20 comments I think I'll grab Perfect Match now :)

message 32: by Yaya (new)

Yaya (yayajanuary) | 20 comments Just finished Perfect Match.
My comment: wow :)

Next: Plain Truth or Salem Falls?

message 33: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (missbrittany) SCORE!

Found a used bookstore and got 3 JP books I have not read and do not already own for a total of $25! They are in reall good shape, too. I wish I had known about the place a long time ago! I got Mercy, Vanishing Acts, and Keeping Faith. So now I own 10 of her 15, and have 4 waiting to be read (just got Nineteen Minutes last week.)

message 34: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (missbrittany) Yaya- Go with Plain Truth. For me, it's tied with MSK for my favorite thus far.

message 35: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 74 comments Yaya,
I don't think you can go wrong with either one of those books! They are both really good but I think Plain Truth was a bit more of a page- turner for me........

Ashley (bookworm84) (bookworm84) I'm almost done with Salem Falls and I LOVE it!!! MSK is still my favourite of Picoults but this one is definately in my top 5!

message 37: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (bosoxbabe32) | 4 comments Both great, but I would say Plain Truth. I loved the characters and reading about the Amish was actually very interesting!

message 38: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (bosoxbabe32) | 4 comments Picture Perfect is my least favorite. I didn't even feel like I was reading a Jodi Picoult book...it's a little boring and too predictable. I wouldn't suggest it, BUT, if you're like me, you want to read all of her books just because!

message 39: by Leena (new)

Leena Almashat | 59 comments Salem Falls was awsome!! I haven't read plain truth yet!

message 40: by Leena (new)

Leena Almashat | 59 comments you guys are repeating MSK! what's that?

message 41: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 74 comments It's My Sister's Keeper.

message 42: by Britta (new)

Britta (brittaditta) | 24 comments I agree Kelly. Picture Perfect was far roo mainstream for my taste as well! I was surprised that it came from her, BUT it was only her third book...

message 43: by Dara (new)

Dara | 145 comments I agree with Britta and Kelly. Picture Perfect was my least favorite of Jodi's books, but it is also the earliest of her books that I have read to date, so I just chalked it up to her early writing and that maybe she hadn't yet discovered her niche that we all so love and identify with her stories. I didn't hate it, but it was slower to read and my least favorite so far.

dara

Ashley (bookworm84) (bookworm84) I'm just starting Keeping Faith!

I am sure I will love it!

message 45: by Allison (new)

Allison (theallisonnelson) | 50 comments Let me know how that is Ashley, I think I want that to be my next Picoult book!

message 46: by Yaya (new)

Yaya (yayajanuary) | 20 comments Hi Ashley, have u finished keeping faith yet?
I'm in page 133 now.

*love the part when Mariah slapped Ian

Ashley (bookworm84) (bookworm84) I'm almost done. I have about 60 pages left. I love it and I can't put it down. I think it's now my second favourite Picoult book!

message 48: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) The pact and My sisters keeper are the only two thative read of hers so far! Im reading Vanishing acts right now. Its pretty good so far. Im not sure which one of hers to read next..any ideas? oh and if you havent read The Pact, or My sisters keeper than READ THEM!!!! they were soooooo good!! The most moving books i have ever read!!!

message 49: by Leena (new)

Leena Almashat | 59 comments Chandani, read Salem Falls. It's wonderful! I haven't read Vanishing Acts yet.

message 50: by Rose Ann (last edited Oct 27, 2008 11:01AM) (new)

Rose Ann I just started The Pact....this is my third JP novel...enjoying it so far!!
I've read 19 Minutes (LOVED it)
and Tenth Circle

« previous 1