Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Capitalization

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:38AM) (new)

Matt Mazenauer (provlear) | 11 comments I wonder if we should be capitlizing based on how the cover art shows us, case in point: 0786813970 the show title "so weird" is lowercase, so shouldn't the listing be as well? This also begs the question what to do if the entire book ititle is all caps. I'd think it would look ugly if the GoodReads text was in all caps. Lastly, in some instances, words such as "the" or "of" wopuld be capitalized on some books, and not on others, (sometimes within the same book, different printings). What to do?

message 2: by Nicolás (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:38AM) (new)

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren (reosarevok) I would use the standard English (or the appropriate language) capitalization, if the author hasn't stated that the title should be lowercased.

Can't think of any book for an example, but the band 'of Montreal' is called like that, and not 'Of Montreal', because the band has oficially stated that's the right name. If you find proof of that book being lowercased by the author, then lowercase it, I guess.

message 3: by R (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:38AM) (new)

R Sriram | 4 comments Hi.

Databases like Nielsen Bookdata (http://www.nielsenbookdata.co.uk/) that maintain dtabases of books in print follow rules such as:
- Book titles will be in 'Title case' - that is all the first letters of the words are in capital, the rest are in small letters
- The title is maintained in full - 'The' 'of' 'and' etc are all represented as in the book

Their web page http://www.nielsenbookdata.co.uk/nbd/...
details the standards - they follow the ONIX for Books standard - I have copied below two relevant paragraphs from this webpage:

● International standards for describing and communicating book information have developed very rapidly in recent years. Nielsen BookData has a long history of involvement in standards for the book industry. We have managed the ISBN agency for the UK and Ireland since 1969, the agency for the Standard Address Number since 1991 and have supported the development of many of the standards described below. Standards are central to all the information services we supply and we are always happy to advise publishers in the use of the new and emerging standards that help make the creation of book information more efficient, cost effective and consistent.

● ONIX for Books is an international standard for representing and communicating information about books electronically. Many publishers around the world, large and small, have adopted the ONIX standard to help them prepare, organise and send book information consistently and efficiently. At Nielsen BookData we have been involved with ONIX for Books from the outset. Our editorial and technical staff have worked with publishers such as HarperCollins, Elsevier, Oxford University Press, Scholastic and many others to help them implement the standard and we now receive regular information in ONIX form from many publishers. For further information please see the EDItEUR website www.editeur.org or you can click here to see more information that will assist you, should you wish to join the growing number of publishes providing their information electronically, or you can contact us:
Gwyneth Morgan, Senior Manager Editorial Systems
t: +44 (0)1438 744 125
e: gwyneth.morgan@nielsenbookdata.co.uk

The OXIX for Books guidelines can be downloaded from this webpage - I suggest we follow such a convention rather than develop one of our own.

Regards
Sriram

message 4: by Matt (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:39AM) (new)

Matt Mazenauer (provlear) | 11 comments So, just a clarifier, Sriram (because franky, I could not navigate that BookData site).

What you quoted:
- Book titles will be in 'Title case' - that is all the first letters of the words are in capital, the rest are in small letters
- The title is maintained in full -'The' 'of' 'and' etc are all represented as in the book

Means:
Capitalize the first letters of all words, excepting the traditional "the, of, in, it... etc." EXCEPT when the cover of the book specifically leaves something different that that?

It seems that can be simplified to "Capitalize it like it is on the cover of the book"

Is that what we're agreeing on?

message 5: by R (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:40AM) (new)

R Sriram | 4 comments Hi. What I am suggesting is that we don't follow the capitaliaztion as per the cover, but follow 'Title Case Rule' - that is all the first letters of the words are in capital, the rest are in small letters.

Eg: The title "TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD" is represented in all capitals in the cover of the Warner Books paperback edition (ISBN 0446310786). As per our title case rule, we will write it as "To Kill A Mockingbird", ignoring the cover. This is followed irrespective of how titles are represented on book covers.

I have downloaded the ONIX for Books guidelines document - it is a pdf file that you can download from the webpage: http://www.nielsenbookdata.co.uk/nbd/...

Go to this page, then scroll down to the section "Standards Matter", then look at the paragraph that starts with 'ONIX for Books" in which you will find the line "For further information please see the EDItEUR website www.editeur.org or you can click here" - if you click through the "click here' link you can download the pdf document. If this doesn't work, I can mail it to whoever sends me an email request.

Regards
Sriram

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)