Quilt, Read, Eat, Sleep.... What Else Is There? discussion

Finally summer

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jaci (new)

Jaci Worth | 37 comments Hi Juliann, what books have you checked out recently that you are enjoying? I'm reading "The School of Essential Ingredients" right now on the Kindle. It's a really fast read...although it's taken me awhile. All this summer activity is keeping me busy!
Jaci

message 2: by Judy (new)

Judy Iliff (JudyI) | 301 comments Mod
Juliann, let me know what if you like Comfort Food. I really liked her first knitting book but was a little disappointed with her second.

message 3: by Judy (new)

I hear you about not having time to read during the school year. I retired at the end of the 2007-2008 school year. For the first two months of that summer, I read probably 40-50 books. You would have thought I hadn't read a single book for 30+ years! LOL! While I'm reading a lot of fluff, I'm picky about the fluff I read. :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Judy wrote: "I hear you about not having time to read during the school year. I retired at the end of the 2007-2008 school year. For the first two months of that summer, I read probably 40-50 books. You would h..."

I am picky about the fluff I read too. I am reading the St Kilda Series by Elizabeth Lowell. I have to agree with Julian too because I read Friday Night Knitting Club and thought it was a great book but the way it ended I am curious as to how they could continue into another book in the series. So I am interested to know your opinion of the next book by Kate Jacob

Thanks
Jennifer

message 5: by Judy (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Judy wrote: "I hear you about not having time to read during the school year. I retired at the end of the 2007-2008 school year. For the first two months of that summer, I read probably 40-50 books..."

I thought Knit Two was an OK story, but it took a while for it to pick up. I thought it kind of dragged at the beginning. What really bothered me, to the point where it still bothers me, were the incomplete sentences. Now, I understand this may bother me more as a former English teacher, but these fragments made the whole storyline disjointed. I think it was suppose to be stream of consciousness, but it wasn't done well. I had to keep stopping and re-reading, omitting the periods in my mind so the idea made sense. My opinion is FNKC should have been one book only.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with that completely. I am not sure how you can continue a series when the main character dies and they all have to go on without her. You are correct it should have been just a stand alone book. If she wanted to make a series for knitting then she should have started over with a different story. Have you read any of the Elm Creek Quilters books?

Thanks
Jennifer

message 7: by Judy (new)

I've read all of the Elm Creek Quilters books. I love them. The last one, "Lost Quilter" was kind of dark in places, but a really good story in my opinion. The other one I liked, until they changed authors, was the Queen Bee's Quilt Mysteries. When they changed the author, there were so many mistakes I wrote to the publisher about it.

One series that I like, and which was originally intended to be a stand-alone book, is the Needlework Series by Monica Ferris. Then I went from quilting to needlework to knitting with the knitting shop mysteries by Maggie Sefton. Obviously, I spend more time reading than I do quilting!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Judy Said: Obviously, I spend more time reading than I do quilting!

I know what you mean. I can piece about 5 quilts a year most times but this past year I have been working on a postage stamp quilt that I have to keep stoping so that I can work on other projects. Do you just quilt or are you an all around craft girl.

Thanks for the info on the other books I will check those out. I think my favorite Elm Creek book was the one where they did the Round Robin Medalion in the middle of the quilt. I am not sure of the name I read it a few years ago.

I did love that Sylvia gets married. Did you ecer get to see Jennifer Chiverini on Simply Quilts it was great. I do miss quilt shows on TV there is not much else worth watching.

message 9: by Judy (new)

I didn't see her on Simply Quilts, but I did see her on Sewing With Nancy one time this summer.