Book Haven discussion

Welcome! > Group Rules and Guidelines

Comments Showing 1-50 of 99 (99 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
All I ask is that you take special note that this group is called a "Haven" for a reason. Think of it as a sanctuary, and please take special care to get along with one another.
Everyone is here for a common goal...to embrace their love of books, and to find others with that same love.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Can we have a non-book folder for non-book threads?

I have a link for a free can of Glidden paint that I'd like to post, but no where to post it.

message 3: by J.D. (new)

Uniquely Moi wrote: "Can we have a non-book folder for non-book threads?

I have a link for a free can of Glidden paint that I'd like to post, but no where to post it."

I made a folder called chatterbox, which is for everything other than books. I also made a folder for movies/tv. :) I just havent started a discussion within that folder yet. I'll do it right now. :)

message 4: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz "Chatterbox": good folder name Joy :)

message 5: by J.D. (new)

Eastofoz wrote: ""Chatterbox": good folder name Joy :)"

Thanks! :)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thank you! I'll post it there soon.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I just wanted to say I love this group. Thanks so much for the invite. It's so nice to be around other book lovers. I don't meet too many in the non-online world.

message 8: by J.D. (new)

Gatadelafuente (Danielle) wrote: "I just wanted to say I love this group. Thanks so much for the invite. It's so nice to be around other book lovers. I don't meet too many in the non-online world."

Thanks Danielle! :)

message 9: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 17 comments Gatadelafuente (Danielle) wrote: "I just wanted to say I love this group. Thanks so much for the invite. It's so nice to be around other book lovers. I don't meet too many in the non-online world."

I completely understand that sentiment. That's why I love GR so much!!!

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Me too, Yz.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Thanks for starting the group and having such a warm environment here.

message 12: by J.D. (new)

Gatadelafuente (Danielle) wrote: "Thanks for starting the group and having such a warm environment here."

:)

message 13: by J.D. (new)

If anyone wants me to make some new folders, let me know. If there is a discussion thread I haven't thought of, don't be shy about creating it. :) I hope everyone is enjoying the group so far.

I also wanted to let everyone know that I recently created a folder for reviews. If you like to write reviews, go ahead and post them there. Or if you enjoy reading reviews...take a look. :)

message 14: by J.D. (new)

Taylor wrote: "FYI, one of my FAV groups!! LOL. Thanks!!"

I'm glad! :)

message 15: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) Joy wrote: "If anyone wants me to make some new folders, let me know. If there is a discussion thread I haven't thought of, don't be shy about creating it. :) I hope everyone is enjoying the group so far.

..."

I know u have Chatterbox but what's ur opinion of doing a family type discussion where ppl can brag about their kids, complain about their significant other, trade recipes and stuff like that?

message 16: by J.D. (new)

Pamela wrote: "Joy wrote: "If anyone wants me to make some new folders, let me know. If there is a discussion thread I haven't thought of, don't be shy about creating it. :) I hope everyone is enjoying the group ..."
I figure, if you want to make a discussion about that go right ahead. :) I'm not finicky about limiting discussion. I think it makes for a better group if people can talk about what they want to chat about. :) Just make sure you put it in the "chatterbox" folder. :)

message 17: by Adam (new)

Adam Franklin | 7 comments Hello,
I just found this group (I'm new to GoodReads) I noticed you're reading The Crown Conspiracy (which is what brought me here) I LOVED IT. I've started reading Avempartha (Book 2) And find it even better (if that is possible). I'm anxious to talk to others about the book - how does that work?

message 18: by J.D. (new)

Welcome Adam! If you want to talk to others about the book, you are welcome to begin a discussion about it in the "Group Read" folder. Or you could just start up a conversation about it in one of the other folders. :)
I'm glad you decided to join the group. :)

message 19: by Steven (new)

Steven Belanger | 43 comments Just a quick hello. Thanks for having me over.

Steven Belanger
www.stevenbelanger.com
www.stevenebelanger.blogspot.com

message 20: by angela (new)

angela (ana-rose13) | 43 comments Hello everyone,
I am new to good reads and am really excited to be a part of your group. you discuss a lot of good books and, though i am in the middle of a book right now, by the new year i would love to be able to join in on the conversations. thanks for being an open thread that is accepting to new members. cant wait to join in!

message 21: by Joan (new)

Joan (jessie_40) | 2 comments Hi I'm new and glad to have found this group. For those of you with Kindles go to http://ireadereview.com for a list of free kindle books,

message 22: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 440 comments @angela, feel free to tell us of the book you are in the middle of now. that's what good reads is all about. wow, 9:30 already?

time for bed! good night all.

sonya

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 2233 comments New to group and looking forward to just getting some great ideas for gread reads.

message 24: by Sonya (new)

Sonya | 2 comments Michael Connelly is a great author.

message 25: by J.D. (new)

It just came to my attention that we had a person who joined this group and was disrupting the group with inappropriate comments. Evidently, she was begging for money and threatening fellow members.

I removed her from the group. I state in the guidelines not to disrupt the group or cause issues, which she was clearly doing. If you have anymore issues with her, please let me know. This group is not meant to be a place where people beg for money or threaten the other members. It is meant to be "FUN", and obviously she did not understand that.

I apologize that you had to deal with inappropriate conduct. :( Unfortunately, since I keep this as an open group, it means that we occasionally get people like this. Whenever this happens, bring it to my attention and I will remove the person from the group. This also makes it so that the person is unable to join in the future.

This is a very large group with many threads, and this means that it is difficult for me to keep track of every thread (even though I try). I rely on my members to let me know whenever there is an issue, and I try to fix it right away.

Again, if there is ever something you think of to improve on our group, post it here or email me. :)

message 26: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments Thank you for addressing the problem, Joy.

message 27: by Helen (new)

Helen Hi,I've just joined so I may be asking a stupid question. Is there an easy way of finding out what the 'poll books' are about?

message 28: by J.D. (new)

When you go into the polls, you can click on the titles. When you do that you will be able to see the synopsis...

message 29: by Helen (new)

Helen Thank you, this is my year for reading. Last year I barely touched a book as I was too busy playing on facebook. So I've totally updated all my read books and am looking forward to putting a dent in unread books

message 30: by DeAnna (new)

DeAnna Stanley (awesumteach) | 22 comments really excited to start reading some new books!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you for the invite this looks like a great place for someone like as I am fairly new to reading & as such am looking to give new authors my time. Very happy to be here.

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 7 comments Joy wrote: "All I ask is that you take special note that this group is called a "Haven" for a reason. Think of it as a sanctuary, and please take special care to get along with one another.
Everyone is here ..."

Probably should try a non-book site. this one is very specific for readers and their reviews, recommendations.

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 7 comments Joy wrote: "Pamela wrote: "Joy wrote: "If anyone wants me to make some new folders, let me know. If there is a discussion thread I haven't thought of, don't be shy about creating it. :) I hope everyone is enjo..."

I can't find the polls to vote, and can't understand why we don't hear more about the books that are the finalists in the polls before we choose. It's time consuming to go and look them up on Amazon. And there are way too many paranormal or sci fi fantasy books on these lists. Most of those books are not timeless, they're like sitcoms, and they will pass into the black hole of writing, not memorable or significant enough to make a difference on literature or the human race. You can have edgy fiction, without losing the underlying value of exploring human dilemmas and emotions to increase understanding and empathy for others. Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is a one good example.

message 34: by Helen (new)

Helen I've really enjoyed reading the books in the polls so far, I've got quite a few new favourite authors thanks to Joy.

message 35: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 2233 comments Thanks to Joy I have learned so much about new and different authors and subjects. I love this group

message 36: by J.D. (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "Thanks to Joy I have learned so much about new and different authors and subjects. I love this group"

Helen wrote: "I've really enjoyed reading the books in the polls so far, I've got quite a few new favourite authors thanks to Joy."

Thank you both! :)

message 37: by J.D. (new)

Sarah wrote: "Joy wrote: "All I ask is that you take special note that this group is called a "Haven" for a reason. Think of it as a sanctuary, and please take special care to get along with one another.
Every..."

Sarah wrote: "Joy wrote: "Pamela wrote: "Joy wrote: "If anyone wants me to make some new folders, let me know. If there is a discussion thread I haven't thought of, don't be shy about creating it. :) I hope ever..."

When you are in the group, there is a list on the top right of the screen, "home" "bookshelf" "discussion" etc. One of them is called "polls". If you click that it will lead you to the polls. This is the same place you will find the polls for every group on Goodreads.

We have several threads that discuss the group read books in the polls. There is a group read folder, where you can nominate future group reads. Whenever a member nominates a book, I always put them in the polls. Otherwise, I look at members to-read lists and add books to the polls based on that. Other than August's polls, which are Authors who belong to this group... I always have several different genre's in the group read polls. I put up 2 group read polls every month. 1 polls caters to people who normally prefer more serious reading, such as historical, non-fiction, etc. The 2nd poll is mostly fantasy, paranormal, etc. The 3rd group read is chosen by a member of the group each month.

Also, when you are in the poll section if you click on the title of the book, you can open up a tab for that book, which shows you the synopsis. There is no need to go to Amazon.

I do my best make reading and this group as enjoyable as I can. All my members know that they can come to me with any issue or if they want me to cover more topics in the group.

Also, yes this is a mostly "Book" site, but I do have threads for chatting and movies/tv etc.

message 38: by Helen (new)

Helen I love this group!

message 39: by Gina (new)

Gina I just joined this group and am very excited to hear what others have to say about books, share my own opinions, and to get recommendations. I have over 400 books on my Kindle between what is archived and active content, so needless to say I love reading. Thanks so much for making this a public group! I am looking forward to the June read. How and when do we start posting thoughts or comments on the group reads?

message 40: by J.D. (new)

Welcome!

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi there! Newbie member here. Been working way too much these last few years and have not been reading all the books I've wanted to, so hoping by joining this group I'll be motivated to read and keep up with all of you :)

message 42: by Helen (new)

Helen Hi Winnie.

message 43: by Baxter (new)

Baxter Trautman Hi Winnie - ditto what you said!

Baxter Clare Trautman, The River Within
Web site: http://baxterclare.com
Blog: http://baxterclare.com/blog

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Helen wrote: "Hi Winnie."

Hi Helen, nice to meet you! I see you're reading Water for Elephants? I'm halfway through Red Riding Hood and will be reading that next for July :)

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Baxter wrote: "Hi Winnie - ditto what you said!"

Hi Baxter, thanks and congratulations on recently getting e-published! :)

message 46: by Helen (new)

Helen I would have saved it but it is borrowed and I need to return it!

message 47: by Ann (new)

Ann (goodreadscomanniegirl) | 19 comments Hi, I'm ann or annie, depending on the person--i just joined this group today. Reading is my life--laundry waits while I get to a good place to stop. The librarians at our county library know my hubby & I well plus our 7 & 8 yo GDs--we have no room to purchase all the books we read. I skip around genres--mystery, chic lit occasionally, novels. My favorite authors are Larry Brown, James Lee Burke, and Amy Tan (these I do purchase)--how far apart are these three but all speak so vividly of their native area and help me visualize their stories. I look forward to learning from this group and am excited to join. Oh-I am a displaced southerner who now resides in the midwest--Kentucky will always be home-can't help it--I've gotten dunked into the KY side of the Ohio too many times:>)

message 48: by Dorothy (last edited Aug 16, 2011 08:34AM) (new)

Dorothy  (vilette) | 27 comments Ann wrote: "Hi, I'm ann or annie, depending on the person--i just joined this group today. Reading is my life--laundry waits while I get to a good place to stop. The librarians at our county library know my hu..."

Hi Ann....if you like Amy Tan, you might also like Lisa See. I gather they are friends and went to China together recently to research their latest books. Lisa's latest is Dreams of Joy but read Shanghai Girls first as it is an ongoing story.

message 49: by Elizabeth (last edited Aug 16, 2011 09:03AM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 2233 comments Dot wrote: "Ann wrote: "Hi, I'm ann or annie, depending on the person--i just joined this group today. Reading is my life--laundry waits while I get to a good place to stop. The librarians at our county librar..."

On Gold Mountain The One-Hundred-Year Odyssey of My Chinese-American Family by Lisa See . I found On Gold Mountain to be Lisa See's best book although I have loved all of them including her Red Dragon series.

message 50: by Baxter (new)

Baxter Trautman Hi Ann. This is a wonderful place to find new books and reading friends. Glad you're here.

Baxter Clare Trautman, The River Within
Web site: http://baxterclare.com
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

« previous 1