Debate discussion

Religion > Voodoo

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon (new)

Jon Snow (bigreader) | 2 comments Do you people think voodoo has real beliefs and can really affect someones body in a way?

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
I own a Harry Potter Voodoo doll. :)

message 3: by ♫ Tina ♫ (new)

♫ Tina ♫ | 65 comments Greg wrote: "Do you people think voodoo has real beliefs and can really affect someones body in a way?"

No, I don't.

message 4: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Voodoo comes from a religion called Vodun, i think? i learned about it in seventh grade. The whole voodoo thing is sort of a stereotype and not really the focus of their religion, if I recall correctly ...

message 5: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments hmm

message 6: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ they have a bunch of different gods ... and there's a play where all the characters are vodun ... it's called Once On This Island. it's this cool caribbean version of the little mermaid. i was in it in, like, fifth grade i think? it was awesome. :)

message 7: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) What's voodoo again?

message 8: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Main Entry: 1voo·doo
: a religion that is derived from African polytheism and ancestor worship and is practiced chiefly in Haiti
2 a: a person who deals in spells and necromancy b (1): a sorcerer's spell : hex (2): a hexed object : charm

Generally they take a doll that's supposed to symbolize someone they hate, and do nasty things to it. Ever seen the Scooby-Doo Zombie Island movie? They have voodoo dolls in that film.

message 9: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) oh.

message 10: by Erik (new)

Erik (charkol) In the sense of it being a practice of African polytheism, yes, to the part of your question asking if it has real beliefs. After all, a human brain can 'believe' anything it wants to.

But as far as it affecting people the way stereotype indicates is questionable. Perception and social networks can have a greater impact on a persons fate than the physical act of tearing apart a doll.

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments sounds like an interesting religion