Terminalcoffee discussion

General Fuckery > One of the Many Reasons I Like Sarah Pi (The Wire and HBO)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jun 26, 2009 11:15AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Sarah Pi's in a band. But she doesn't mention it every four seconds or try to cultivate fans or post links to where we can download her music. If her music comes up in conversation, sure, she'll talk about it, but she never, ever remotely looks like she's talking just to sell her product. She's just cool Sarah, from Baltimore, with her backyard and neighbors and rock and roll.

But she could talk about her music more. I want to buy some Sarah Pi music.

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sarah Pi is just alright with me.

I don't care what people say,

Sarah Pi is just alright with me, oh yeah.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Well, shucks.
The boys in my band would probably take the opposite view: more promotion, more links...but I've never been a great salesperson.

I make music because I love it. I tell people about it when it seems appropriate, but I'm not here to make a sale. It does make me happy when I find out that people like my music, and that they're listening to it without any prompting.

I actually put one of my songs on the mystery shebang. I debated over it quite a bit, but it was appropriate to my theme. I almost put a brand new not-yet-released song, but then I got frightened for it, since it's still young and fragile, and put an older one instead.

Um, if you want to buy, iTunes and CDBaby and stalkinghorses.com all make sure that I actually get paid at the end of the day, which isn't a bad thing.

See, now I feel like an awkward commercial.

I'll be over here...

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments (don't forget, you promised me ten bucks for starting this thread.)

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Ack! It was a setup????

message 6: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jun 26, 2009 11:48AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heh. No, I meant it, every word.

By the way, Sarah, Larry says you're "just alright", so I like you more.

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I want my cut.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I think Larry did actually pony up for a CD or some electronic facsimile thereof, so he might still win. (**Attempts to start bidding war**)

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yes!

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I will offer yesterday's newspaper, soft tofu, Mott's Apple Juice and a nerf bullet gun.

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Paypal works better on iTunes.

message 12: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I hate stupid Itunes.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Rhapsody and Napster are on the OK list. I don't know if CDStreet still exists, but they ran away with several hundred dollars of our money. They preyed on those too poor to start a class action suit.

message 14: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jun 26, 2009 12:01PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Is there any way I can order a signed CD from your website?

*bats eyelashes at the woman who is not into guys*

If not, I'll just order a regular one. But I'll cry.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments All that eyelash batting is persuasive, even to me, and I hate to see a grown man cry.
If you go through stalkinghorses.com I can sign it.

message 16: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I'm glad you added your band's song to the Shebang. This way, I can brag I used to listen to Stalking Horses, when they were indie and cool, before they all got too big and shit and gave their fans the finger.

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I like Sarah 320 as well, but for other reasons.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Gus - just to warn you, it's solo Sarah Pi, not a band song...

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I hardly think that's worthy of a warning.

message 20: by Sally, la reina (new)

That's kind of what I thought.

message 21: by Nuri (last edited Jun 26, 2009 01:07PM) (new)

Nuri (nools) | 538 comments Ah! Another reason to wish I hadn't stepped out of the Mystery Shebang!

I wouldn't have made it in time, though.

Nice thread, this one. : )

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments This week has been lovely. Flattery and compliments and my very own threads here and all kinds of good real-life stuff, and five straight evenings of drinking (wine, watermelon margaritas, berry smoothies) on the porch until the sun went down.

I hope everybody has a great weekend. Cheers!

message 23: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) What, NO STALKING HORSES?

I don't want to hear your solo shit, your "I'm going to do a disco album, 'cause all I wanna do is dance!" crap!!!

Kidding. I've been warned.

message 24: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I wonder if Sarah's solo album will have a cover like the Kiss solo albums.

http://www.maidenmania.com/images/kis...

message 25: by Heidi (last edited Jun 26, 2009 02:02PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sarah PIIIIII!!!! :D

I'm super excited about the upcoming shebangs. I liked that sample link you posted so I could have a listen back in the music thread.

And I'm with RA - you're pretty darn cool. Good job with starting this thread, RA. You've basically said what I think most of us have thought at one time or another. At least I have.

::booty bump::

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments sarah pi = groovy

message 27: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) How did the band name come to be?

message 28: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Sarah Mathematical Constant, Ko.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Tanja - my partner-in-crime-lead-guitarist would say we chose it because I like horses and he likes stalking, but I think there isn't really a good answer.

I remember the season of choosing, and how any phrase anyone uttered around us was subject to the "Sarah and the ____" test. Since we are politically minded people, I'm sure that at the time "& the Stalking Horses" came up, Katherine Harris was running for office in Florida and... like I said, nothing exciting...

message 30: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) *laughs!* I like the reasoning. It's cute and actually reminds me of my friend. Our little joke was he'd stalk me over the internet. My lil wee stalker friend. *giggles more*

I actually think it sounds cool thrown together. As a joke if you could code it...make a stalking horse game. Map of the US, cursor is the horse, have the cursor stalk your road tour route.

message 31: by Julie (new)

Julie | 568 comments I ditto all this love for Sarah Pi going around.
I was just listening to the Sarah Pi Spring Shebang today and thinking "Well, this just rocks."
Now I am looking forward to the next one very much!

message 32: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Aww, what a cool thread for a really cool chick! Yay, Sarah Pi! (And those Stalking Horses.) I'm sorry I missed that she-bang. (Though I probably couldn't have participated since there apparently had to be a theme and that's too complicated for me.)

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Well, thanks again, y'all... who doesn't need an ego boost like this every once in a while?

message 34: by Meen (last edited Jun 29, 2009 07:45PM) (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments And Sarah, you have to watch The Wire! (I just came down from two weeks of mainlining all five seasons. MY GAHD what a show!)

message 35: by Meen (last edited Jun 29, 2009 07:46PM) (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Plus, I'd be interested to hear a real Baltimorian (is that what y'all are called?) take on it.

message 36: by Lori (new)

Lori Um. I think Sarah is too cool for the likes of me....

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'll watch the Wire, but not yet. There's a method to my madness.

message 38: by Sally, la reina (new)

Mindy! I just finished watching all five seasons myself! It was fantastic.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm only half way through season 2, I have to wait for HBO to make the second half available.

message 40: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Sally! I know! Omg, the realism, the characters, the frustration, the tragedy! I <3 Omar so much! (But I can't say anything else about it since Sarah hasn't had the pleasure yet.)

But all five seasons are on dvd, Jim. What are you watching?

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments You could start a separate thread for the Wire, so you could talk without spoiling...

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments One of my housemates does a tour of Baltimore as seen on The Wire. If any of you ever come this way, I'll enlist her to show you around.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Mindy wrote: "Sally! I know! Omg, the realism, the characters, the frustration, the tragedy! I <3 Omar so much! (But I can't say anything else about it since Sarah hasn't had the pleasure yet.)

But all five s..."

HBO puts their shows out to watch on a free pay per view on our cable system. They keep rotating what is available to watch.

message 44: by Meen (last edited Jun 30, 2009 01:12PM) (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Oh man, Jim, no way I could stand that rationing. I had to have my Wire all at once. I'm such a freaking junkie!

Sarah, before I ever watched the show you know I had applied at some schools in Baltimore. And my exhusband, who is still a good friend, had watched the show last summer or so and he kept begging me not to move to Baltimore! LMAO!

Ko, I have a pretty potty mouth anyway, and I'm rarely in polite company, but I have found myself unconsciously switching to AAVE (which is fascinating linguistically, btw) a lot more lately!

:)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Mindy, are you telling us that you speak jive?

message 46: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Well, there are many similarities b/w AAVE and the Southern dialect in general, but I've also worked closely w/a lot of poor people (mostly African-American) for the past couple years and I tend to parrot dialects fairly quickly on exposure (drawl like Scarlett O'Hara w/in hours of being back in my hometown!), so I was fairly fluent for a white chick anyway. The Wire was exposure on overdrive, though!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I'll take that as a yes, then. :D

message 48: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Ya heard?

;)

message 49: by Sally, la reina (new)

The regional dialects and insider language was just one of the many, many reasons the show was fantastic.

I also loved the cinematography. In season one they didn't use any pan shots or moving cameras at all, it was all long cuts with a steady internally focalized eye.

message 50: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Damn, Sallers, you really know cinematography! Nice! (I just knew I liked it, but had no idea why.)

Besides Omar, who was just one of the most remarkable characters EVER in all of fiction I think, I adored Snoop & Chris (murdering bastards that they were). And Bunk. And BUBBLES!, especially Bubs b/c of the addict connection, plus that was some amazing acting... Man, I might have to watch the whole thing all over again now.

« previous 1